Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jun 18, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2,086 of 7,356
Yea sure if you are gonna hide behind the 'it was a show setting so your impressions are meaningless' excuse then there's no point in continuing this discussion. Not everyone can afford to order multiple multi-thousand dollar DACs and compare them at one's home. That's why shows exist in the first place. Besides, I have auditioned and liked multiple things at shows, liked them, bought them and then continues to enjoy them without having to change my mind.

You like Hugo 2 with Diana V2 and think Dave is the best DAC ever. I haven't heard the Hugo 2 with Diana V2 and think Dave pairs badly with a LCD 4. Let's move on.

I never said they were meaningless. I instead mentioned that my opinions have changed as shows aren't ideal and don't offer the proper setting and time you need. I think you'd prefer the DAVE LCD-4z combination more as they (LCD-4z) seem to be more up your alley. That said, I love the Diana V2 with both.

Jun 18, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #2,087 of 7,356
I never said they were meaningless. I instead mentioned that my opinions have changed as shows aren't ideal and don't offer the proper setting and time you need. I think you'd prefer the DAVE LCD-4z combination more as they (LCD-4z) seem to be more up your alley. That said, I love the Diana V2 with both.
I am not going to buy a headphone specifically to like the way an overpriced DAC sounds lmao.
I heard both LCD 4 and LCD 4z from the same source I believe at the Audeze booth and think LCD 4 is superior.
I hated how Dave sounded with LCD 4.
It just seems counterproductive to buy a headphone I disliked and pair it with a DAC I disliked to get a mystery sound that I might or might not like. Audiophile Lootbox lmao.

I'd rather first decide on a headphones then find a source it pairs well with.

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #2,088 of 7,356
Is it one of Questyle amps I see on that pic?

Yes, that's cma 12 master

---

Btw, I think Diana V2 sounds fine with Hugo 2, but not comparable enough to desktop set-up that cost the same or more. Well, but Hugo is transportable set-up, everything comes with the "cost". Good morning.

Jun 20, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #2,090 of 7,356
I am really liking the RME ADI-2 + Diana V2 combo. Compared to the WA11, RME ADI-2 images much much better. Soundstage is a bit larger too to the point I have no problems with it. Vocals sound smoother and fuller. A bit more detailed too.

I might just get a WM1A or WM1Z and use the WA11 as purely an amp.

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #2,092 of 7,356
Most of my problems with the Diana V2 can be attributed to the DAC in the WA11. It's very average.....to put it mildly. Now I am experimenting with different sources and I am starting to increasingly like the Diana V2.

Diana V2 has a very non-offensive and polite neutral signature. They might not wow you at first listen like some cans do (Susvara with its open signature or LCD 3 or 4 with their midrange) but Diana V2 will never disappoint you. It's all there. All the detail you need, great imaging, decent soundstage. I find them a little bright but that's just me and my sensitivity to Treble.

Jun 22, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #2,093 of 7,356
I have had my Diana V1 for about a month, and I absolutely love the sound. I agree with neutral sounding description (slight lean toward warm) in my opinion, and I also can see why people might say that they don't have a wow factor at first, simply because no frequency factor jumps out. However polite is not a word I would use, as it suggests boring and don't agree with that at all, as I find Diana has excellent dynamics and produces a palpable sound.

Diana is very natural/real sounding; instruments sound like they should, and vocals are outstanding and clear. Drums have a definite attack and decay is quick. Symbols also behave as they should, clinking, clanking and shimmering as one would expect if you were standing near the drum kit. Detail is all there, nothing is overshadowed or over emphasised. Although sound stage isn't massive, again I would describe the experience as natural and real sounding. The Phi probably brings more clarity to Diana, however as I find the sound balance pretty much perfect and a real pleasure to listen to from a variety of sources, I have no desire to go any deeper into the rabbit hole.

The sound even direct from my A&K A&Norma SR15 through Diana is exceptional.

Jun 23, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #2,094 of 7,356
Not the smartest set-up ever I know, but it was fun comparing the Milo Vishay with internal amplifier inside CMA 12 Master.

Ofc technically Milo wins by margin, especially in soundstage size, accuracy imaging (positioning), outline each notes, and fluid effortless feel. Character wise, CMA internal amp has a little fuller mid to treble tone, and slight more forgiving.

2020_0617_15135600.jpg

Jun 23, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #2,095 of 7,356
Knowing that you'll have that, you can imagine my excitement :ksc75smile:

Please let us all know your impressions once you have some hours on this combo!

@iFi audio what the hell have you guys done with the xCAN? Magic? It shoved my THX out of my table LOL it sound perfect with the xCAN.
Sounded very MEH with the Monolith Desktop THX.

Does the iFi Pro iDSD take it to another level? I am sold on whatever you guys did with this little thing.

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #2,096 of 7,356
I am a second owner of Diana and I am enjoying them, but one thing that annoys me is that after a few minutes of wearing the headphones, when my ears touch the fabric of the ear pads, it makes a noticeable noise, as if the fabric touching is the driver or something. if i open my jaw or shake my head I can clearly hear it. I thought it might been the drivers but if i take the pads off, i don't notice any noise. The other weird thing is that when I first put the headphones and shake my head I don't notice it, but only after a few minutes of playing music, and even if i stop the music temporarily I still hear the noise. Anybody experiencing anything similar? Maybe I need new pads but not sure. I will email Abyss, weird!!

I am interested as to whether you got a response or a solution to this? I have had Diana Phi for a few weeks now and have been impressed with them so far. Like you though, I get a noise when my ear touches the cloth/mesh of the ear pads. It sounds like someone rapping a drum with their finger tips and is quite distracting. I noticed that it only happens when I have been wearing them for a while. I removed the pads and discovered that condensation builds up on the earpiece frame to quite a surprising degree. I think what happens is that the mesh sticks to this and the noise comes when it breaks free again as your ear moves. See quick phone snap below:

0B065D97-4DBF-4558-8BB5-DF50D8541BA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #2,097 of 7,356
I am interested as to whether you got a response or a solution to this? I have had Diana Phi for a few weeks now and have been impressed with them so far. Like you though, I get a noise when my ear touches the cloth/mesh of the ear pads. It sounds like someone rapping a drum with their finger tips and is quite distracting. I noticed that it only happens when I have been wearing them for a while. I removed the pads and discovered that condensation builds up on the earpiece frame to quite a surprising degree. The mesh then sticks to this and the noise comes when it breaks free again as your ear moves.

I think I have a similar situation with the Diana V1. I was worried yesterday it could be something from my unit but it appears it is common?

Jun 24, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #2,098 of 7,356
I am interested as to whether you got a response or a solution to this? I have had Diana Phi for a few weeks now and have been impressed with them so far. Like you though, I get a noise when my ear touches the cloth/mesh of the ear pads. It sounds like someone rapping a drum with their finger tips and is quite distracting. I noticed that it only happens when I have been wearing them for a while. I removed the pads and discovered that condensation builds up on the earpiece frame to quite a surprising degree. The mesh then sticks to this and the noise comes when it breaks free again as your ear moves.
Sorry I dont have them anymore, never got a clear answer, the noise i was taking was seem like a metallic crackling noise or like crinkly cellophane paper, I heard about this issue on other planar headphones, not sure if his has to do with seal or contact. Still recommend reaching out to Abyss and explain the issue to see if they have any recommendations.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #2,099 of 7,356
I think I have a similar situation with the Diana V1. I was worried yesterday it could be something from my unit but it appears it is common?

I’m not sure, I have been reading through this whole thread to see if anyone has mentioned it, but there is no sign of it so far. It is quite warm weather at the moment so that will be a factor. I’m not too concerned about it now though as I don’t believe it is anything to do with the driver and I did see some marketing clip earlier in this thread where Abyss claimed that the Diana could stand up to mobile use in any weather, so that allayed my concern about the moisture possibly causing any damage.

Sorry I dont have them anymore, never got a clear answer, the noise i was taking was seem like a metallic crackling noise or like crinkly cellophane paper, I heard about this issue on other planar headphones, not sure if his has to do with seal or contact. Still recommend reaching out to Abyss and explain the issue to see if they have any recommendations.

Thanks for responding. I did ask my AD about it and they said that they had never had it raised as an issue. They said they would raise it with Abyss on my behalf, but I’m relatively relaxed about it now.

Jun 24, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #2,100 of 7,356
I came here with the exact same problem on my relatively new V2. The demo unit in the shop where I auditioned them did the same though only on one side. Mine do it on both sides. Crackling when I move the V2 slightly after I've worn them for a while. It even crackles sometimes when I only move my head ...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back