Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Feb 5, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #7,021 of 7,405
Feb 5, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #7,022 of 7,405
This is a lot. I listen between 12 and 2.
Thanks for the input. Have you tried driving them with your Gryphon ? If yes at what volume level. ?

Feb 5, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #7,023 of 7,405
Have you tried driving them with your Gryphon ? If yes at what volume level. ?
Yes, he controls MR perfectly. I don't remember the volume level. :thinking:

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #7,024 of 7,405
Hi there, I just got the Diana MR and the Woo WA7 Gen3. I wanted to ask how far up do you need to turn the volume to get to a comfortable listening volume on the Balanced audio out? I'm presently at almost 4 O'Clock on the Dial which is way more that I'm used to for other headphones. Just sanity checking that nothig is wrong in my chain.
Using the Woo i mostly have my volume level anywhere from 2-4 depending on which album i am listening to. This is fairly normal. Imho MR needs more power as compared to my other headphones

Feb 6, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #7,025 of 7,405
I am SO torn between the Diana MR and the Empyrean II. I do realize that they are different beasts, but as somebody who has primarily focused on my 2 channel setup, I'm new to the audiophile headphone game and don't know which I would prefer without some actual listening. Might have to see if Abyss or Meze has demo units I could "rent" (long shot, I know 😅). Thanks to everybody for the detailed MR reviews!!

Note: I would be powering them either through the Questyle M15 dongle DAC or my PrimaLuna Evo 400 Integrated tube amp. Getting one (or both) of these might just push me to get a dedicated desktop headphone amp, though 🤤

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #7,027 of 7,405
Questyle m15 and Diana Mr is not a really good choice. i tryied it with different pad combinations but it seems like they dont fit together.
Do you have a preferred amp? I suspect you’ve tried many haha

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #7,028 of 7,405
I am SO torn between the Diana MR and the Empyrean II. I do realize that they are different beasts, but as somebody who has primarily focused on my 2 channel setup, I'm new to the audiophile headphone game and don't know which I would prefer without some actual listening. Might have to see if Abyss or Meze has demo units I could "rent" (long shot, I know 😅). Thanks to everybody for the detailed MR reviews!!

Note: I would be powering them either through the Questyle M15 dongle DAC or my PrimaLuna Evo 400 Integrated tube amp. Getting one (or both) of these might just push me to get a dedicated desktop headphone amp, though 🤤
Diana MR and Empyrean II are being compared here. Maybe it helps.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #7,029 of 7,405
Diana MR and Empyrean II are being compared here. Maybe it helps.
Thanks for the share! I ended up ordering both to test, along with not one, not two, not three, but four amps (albeit three of them are "mobile") :sweat_smile:. I'm hoping to find a clear winning combination for my personal taste and return the other(s).

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #7,030 of 7,405
Thanks for the share! I ended up ordering both to test, along with not one, not two, not three, but four amps (albeit three of them are "mobile") :sweat_smile:. I'm hoping to find a clear winning combination for my personal taste and return the other(s).
Amazing that you actually get todo that.

Feb 8, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #7,032 of 7,405
ive never used them portable but i could try the btr7
So Far I’m loving the Diana MR with my WA7 and the Earmen Angel. These have served up just the right balance of detail and warmth.
On the dongle DAC front it’s been a great pairing with the Cayin RU7 - I’m waiting on new single ended cable to use them with my Chord Gear. Loving the MR so far.

Feb 9, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #7,033 of 7,405
I'm just going to copy here my notes of how Diana MR sounds across a bunch of portable devices. Translated from another language so some phrases may feel a little out of place.

I've spent the last few days experimenting with various portable audio devices and wanted to share my findings to hopefully help others. Specifically, I've compared the Questyle M15, Cayin RU7, Luxury Precision W4, MUB1, XD05BAL, XD05BAL CP (or XD05BAL 2), Fiio Q15, XD05PRO, and Fiio Q7.

For this comparison, I only used the Abyss Diana MR headphones, testing them with a 32-ohm impedance.

Overall, I found that you get what you pay for, both in terms of price and size—the bigger, the better the sound quality.

Starting with the iPhone 14 Pro connected directly via Apple's 3.5mm adapter, it was capable of driving the headphones, but only at maximum volume did it reach a normal listening level. The sound quality noticeably improved with the addition of any of the three dongles (M15, RU7, W4): a stronger sense of atmosphere and better low-frequency quality.

Comparing this setup to the high-impedance headphone jack of my M1 MacBook Pro, the laptop performed better than the phone, closely matching the sound quality of the dongles with about 80-90% of their performance. In noisy environments, even if just for a basic listening experience, these small devices add a lot of enjoyment.

Among the dongles connected to the phone, the M15 offered strong linearity, giving more body to the main instruments. If the phone provided a "flat and bland" listening experience, the M15 made the main sounds pop out more.

Switching to the W4, the low frequencies improved in quality, with more energy and detail. Compared to M15 which emphasized the "main bodies" of sound, the W4 added a lot of details and atmosphere between those sounds. I liked the W4's design, but the loose leather case was a downside, making it cumbersome to use.

After the W4, I listened to the RU7, finding its sound signature very similar to the W4's but slightly warmer. The low frequencies were nearly identical. If the M15 scored 80 and the W4 100, the RU7 would score between 95 to 97. The RU7 offers good value for money.

These devices were similar, with less pronounced differences than the ones I'm going to compare later. I'm using scores to roughly illustrate the gap between those devices.

The MUB1, praised online, offered an increase in driving power and a step up in low-frequency texture and overall atmosphere compared to the RU7. If the M15 to RU7 ranged from 80 to 95, the MUB1 would score around 120. It made music sound better even in noisy environments.

Next is the XD05BAL, not the CP version. Compared to the MUB1, it represents a significant leap forward. The music suddenly comes alive and grabs your attention. This texture instantly maximizes the sense of rhythm in the low frequencies, almost to the point of being overwhelming. The vocals are much fuller, no longer thin like a sheet of paper, but rich and emotional, capable of moving the listener deeply. The listening experience of the XD05BAL could be rated at 170 points. The improvement from the MUB1 to the XD05BAL is greater than from the RU7 to the MUB1.

I didn't directly compare the differences between the XD05BAL and its CP version, but logically, the CP should have a slight upgrade. However, for the moment, I'll say they are on the same level.

The following comparison is based on listening through a computer's USB-C port.

When comparing the XD05BAL CP with the Q15, the overall listening experience was about 80% similar. The Q15 is like plain boiled water, with a standard soundstage and average detail. The XD05BAL CP, however, has stronger low frequencies, a larger soundstage, more detail, better density, and sweeter vocals. Listening to the Q15 feels like experiencing a very conventional headphone, but switching to the CP feels like a punchy, more engaging experience, with a wider soundstage and a more frequent sense of "this music really rocks/is really enjoyable." The CP's frequency response might not be as balanced, but its tuning is very appealing and cleverly done. If the CP is rated at 170, then the Q15 would score between 140 and 150 in my book. I didn't directly compare the Q15 with the MUB1, but from memory, the difference between the Q15 and the CP is less than between the MUB1 and the XD05BAL.

Comparing the XD05BAL CP with the XD05PRO, both using their original modules, resulted in a noticeable improvement. The XD05PRO offers a much more relaxed experience than the CP, with a clearly wider soundstage and clearer imaging. The stronger driving power of the XD05PRO also noticeably enhances the sound quality, with vocals feeling more tangible and fuller. The female vocals on the XD05PRO are particularly magnetic, creating a sound that might not be the most authentic but is melodiously charming and very pleasant to listen to. The XD05PRO would score 240, as the improvement from the CP to the PRO is similar to that from the RU7 to the CP.

Switching from the XD05PRO to the Q7, the experience felt somewhat like moving from the CP to the Q15. The soundstage is smaller, with fewer details, and the instruments seem to gather in a tighter space. The low-frequency volume is similar, but the imaging is slightly softer than the XD05PRO. However, the Q7 has a stronger sense of cohesion, and while its vocals might not have the magnetism of the XD05PRO, they are thicker and, coupled with a warmer tuning, full-bodied. The female vocals under the Q7 are exceptional, full-bodied without losing tenderness. Those who have experienced emotional moments listening to well-amplified headphones might recognize this feeling with the Q7. In comparison, the XD05PRO's female vocals seem slightly flatter, brighter, and have a "magnetic" quality similar to a violin's, offering a different charm. I find the Q7's female vocal performance superior. However, the XD05PRO performs better across other types of music, with more layered interpretations, clearer lines, and a richer overall listening experience. In contrast, the Q7 is straightforward, lacking distinctive features. Comparing the XD05BAL CP with the Q7, the CP surprisingly feels more flavorful, with its soundstage and low frequencies being more noticeable than the Q7's. I believe this isn't a matter of quality but rather of clever tuning. The Q7 would score between 180 and 190.

In conclusion, each device has its strengths, with the larger, more expensive models generally offering better sound quality.

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #7,034 of 7,405
Questyle m15 and Diana Mr is not a really good choice. i tryied it with different pad combinations but it seems like they dont fit together.
I can confirm, the MR and the M15 are not really working together. The Empyrean II on the other hand seems to love the M15. WA7 comes tomorrow, so I'm really hoping to get more out of the MR through that unit. :fingers_crossed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back