Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Nov 29, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #2,941 of 7,358
I owned the Verite C but found it to be a bit too much of a traditional HP sound - the staging had that diffused feel which I really don’t enjoy - nowhere near the precision that Abyss achieves.

The utopia has way too much upper mids for my taste, I hated it

I really like the focal clear and Elear - I find the Diana V2 to be a sort of direct upgrade on the Elear

I don’t think the V2 is wide at all, it has very intimate and precise staging - I really don’t like massive staging in HPs so that kinda works in my favor there

Effortless and smooth.. compared to the rest of abyss yeah sure. Definitely not compared to other headphones

Thanks for your impressions.

i have a set of Elex and a set of LCD-X2's coming this week, so, after those are digested and assessed, i'll definitely look into the Diana V2.

Fun..:)

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #2,942 of 7,358
I’m wanting to upgrade my portable setup. I understand it’s been talked about in this thread. But trying to get a better consensus fo those that actually travel with their setup.

My current portable setup: Chord Mojo with UE11 Pro and Campfire Audio Cascades.

I’m considering the Diana Phi or V2s. What are your favorite portable setups.

i also considered just using the mojo with the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon V2 if it would work. But would Ike something different. Don’t know if even an option. Would love to have one unit more portable.

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,943 of 7,358
I’m wanting to upgrade my portable setup. I understand it’s been talked about in this thread. But trying to get a better consensus fo those that actually travel with their setup.

My current portable setup: Chord Mojo with UE11 Pro and Campfire Audio Cascades.

i also considered just using the mojo with the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon V2 if it would work. But would Ike something different. Don’t know if even an option. Would love to have one unit more portable.
Get something like the ifi Micro BL or the Romi BX if you're driving Diana V2/Phi. Mojo will definitely not be enough for them

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #2,945 of 7,358

I do. I specifically got the Diana V2 to use as a transportable reference monitoring station. The Dianas have a painfully low efficiency rating which makes them pretty hard to drive despite the low impedance.

My setup was featured in their video:

It consists of
Oriolus BD20(DAC) -> Oriolus BA300s mkii(Preamp) -> Oriolus BA20(Amp)

Other great options are:
1) Ifi Micro iDSD Signature Edition
2) Romi BX2 Plus Amp

If you don't mind AC Power then:
1) Topping D50s + Topping A50s stack
2) Liquid Carbon as you said is a great option too
3) Liquid Spark stack shouldn't be bad but haven't heard it.

PS: Stay away from Woo Audio WA11. It is a garbage amp for garbage sound.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #2,946 of 7,358
i also considered just using the mojo with the Mah if it would work. But would Ike something different. Don’t know if even an option. Would love to have one unit more portable.

Maybe these are not quite portable....but..
If you are home, then you might consider the RME ADI 2 FS-Dac/Amp, as is a nice sounding piece.
The Monolith 788 is a good sounding piece, very affordable.
if you can find one, ..Tyll's last production version of the Headroom Max Headphone Amp still sounds amazing.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,947 of 7,358
Maybe these are not quite portable....but..
If you are home, then you might consider the RME ADI 2 FS-Dac/Amp, as is a nice sounding piece.
The Monolith 788 is a good sounding piece, very affordable.
if you can find one, ..Tyll's last production version of the Headroom Max Headphone Amp still sounds amazing.
Agreed. RME ADI 2 FS Dac+Amp is great too!

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #2,950 of 7,358
At home I will be good. I have the Chord Hugo TT2/M-Scaler/TToby(2 ea) also Sony TAZH1ES and OPPO HA-1.

its when I go on vacation and work trips. I considered also getting the Hugo 2 but so many mixed reviews for these cans
For semi-portable setups, you may also consider a good dap + the Broadway amp. I always love how compact the amp is and it being such a power house to drive the Diana. The fact that it runs on battery also helps to solve lots of setup issues.

If you can find a good second hand deal, I would highly recommend getting it.

Attachments

• 5E473A33-3EC9-428C-801A-99AF893B5C84.jpeg
    5E473A33-3EC9-428C-801A-99AF893B5C84.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 29, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #2,952 of 7,358
Well, as i said, all the reviews have stated that the bass, the low freq., regarding this headphone have created its sonic sig to be "warmish" vs more analytical .
Z said the bass is too much, and other online reviewers, (excluding this Thread) have stated that the bass is indeed boosted as compared to the PHI and to the original Diana.

So, As you listened to it, did you feel that the bass was neutral or north of neutral?
Did yours ears tell you that the overall sonic quality of the D2, is warmer, based on an elevated bass and low mid extension?
well regardless of what the reviewers say, i wouldn't describe the v2's bass as boosted or the overall sound signature as warm. but again, this is my subjective impression and you may hear and describe it differently. i also see little point in using "neutral" as a descriptor when posting subjective listening impressions tbh.

while i have heard the original diana, i have not directly compared it to the v2 and nor have i heard the phi, so i can't comment on the comparative differences between them.

Nov 30, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #2,953 of 7,358
The Phi has a much more energetic treble response with a 10kHz peak, but I personally would call it anything but analytical and cold. It's a classic W shaped headphone to my ears. The 1266 TC is the closest Abyss have to cold and analytical in their lineup - the V2 is slightly warm, and somewhat dark, with a very warm midrange. I personally don't find it to be anywhere near a bassy headphone though
Interesting. I find the V2 to be slightly brighter than my 1266 Phi with CC pads (both with stock cables on a Chord Hugo TT2). Maybe things have changed a bit between revisions? None of them is cold though and readjustment between both just takes 1-2 minutes. Midrange on the V2 is a tad warmer whereas the 1266 can sound a bit thin.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #2,954 of 7,358
Interesting. I find the V2 to be slightly brighter than my 1266 Phi with CC pads (both with stock cables on a Chord Hugo TT2). Maybe things have changed a bit between revisions? None of them is cold though and readjustment between both just takes 1-2 minutes. Midrange on the V2 is a tad warmer whereas the 1266 can sounds a bit thin here.
I had heard the 1266 Phi(not the TC) at a show once. One of the best bass I have ever heard, thin midrange and harsh treble. Would listen for bass but not a fan of anything else. Very transparent too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back