Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Sep 21, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #2,506 of 7,358
@seamon I know you previously owned the LCD-4 and now have your dream set-up for the Abyss Diana. I purchased the Diana Phi a few months back and have really been enjoying them. However, I’ve been missing something about my previous cans and I think it comes down to bass impact (mid-bass?). I purchased a used pair of LCD-4s today and would love to hear your impressions between the them and V2/Phi. I can only keep one pair so I’m looking forward to comparing them soon.
@TheMiddleSky did an awesome comparison between the LCD 4 and Diana V2 somewhere in this thread that is worth reading too imo.

From what I remember, LCD 4 had this creamy smooth, midrange focused signature that just sucks you in. LCD 4 has one of the best midranges in headphones imo. LCD has better bass too. LCD 4 bass from what I remember had superb impact, good quantity and extends very low. Diana V2 bass is not bad but LCD 4 is a tad better. Diana V2 midrange is somewhat less warm and resolving than LCD 4. Diana V2 prolly has better Treble. Honestly, I think Diana V2 treble is just superb - no harshness, fast, weighty and extends to infinity. Audezes are not really known for their Treble but LCD 4 has the best Treble among all LCDs. LCD 4 also weighs 4 times the Diana V2.

I think LCD 4 midrange is closest I have heard to the Sennheiser He-1.
If you are looking for bass impact, Abyss 1266 and Hifiman Susvara are some other headphones to consider. 1266 has the best bass all around, the only one that beats the He-1 at bass. Susvara has superb bass impact but lacks in overall quantity.

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #2,507 of 7,358
@TheMiddleSky did an awesome comparison between the LCD 4 and Diana V2 somewhere in this thread that is worth reading too imo.

From what I remember, LCD 4 had this creamy smooth, midrange focused signature that just sucks you in. LCD 4 has one of the best midranges in headphones imo. LCD has better bass too. LCD 4 bass from what I remember had superb impact, good quantity and extends very low. Diana V2 bass is not bad but LCD 4 is a tad better. Diana V2 midrange is somewhat less warm and resolving than LCD 4. Diana V2 prolly has better Treble. Honestly, I think Diana V2 treble is just superb - no harshness, fast, weighty and extends to infinity. Audezes are not really known for their Treble but LCD 4 has the best Treble among all LCDs. LCD 4 also weighs 4 times the Diana V2.

I think LCD 4 midrange is closest I have heard to the Sennheiser He-1.
If you are looking for bass impact, Abyss 1266 and Hifiman Susvara are some other headphones to consider. 1266 has the best bass all around, the only one that beats the He-1 at bass. Susvara has superb bass impact but lacks in overall quantity.
The LCD4 is also a nightmare to drive (not unlike the 1266TC). That being said if I ever do get into desktop amps the first thing I’d probably buy is the 1266TC haha

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #2,508 of 7,358
The LCD4 is also a nightmare to drive (not unlike the 1266TC). That being said if I ever do get into desktop amps the first thing I’d probably buy is the 1266TC haha
Ehhh... I didn't have that much trouble driving them properly. They can be driven by modest desktop gear from drop.com

Also by portable rig in balanced mode can probably drive them pretty well too.

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #2,510 of 7,358
@seamon I know you previously owned the LCD-4 and now have your dream set-up for the Abyss Diana. I purchased the Diana Phi a few months back and have really been enjoying them. However, I’ve been missing something about my previous cans and I think it comes down to bass impact (mid-bass?). I purchased a used pair of LCD-4s today and would love to hear your impressions between the them and V2/Phi. I can only keep one pair so I’m looking forward to comparing them soon.

I understand this confusion. Sound wise they different enough, that actually acquire both of them is a make sense move.

However, LCD 4 is simply too uncomfortable on my head, and that reason alone eliminate Audeze from my choice.

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #2,511 of 7,358
I just received by Abyss Diana V2 (all black) headphone.

I'm actually able to run it from my SR25 DAP in 2.5mm balanced connection. (135-150 volume for most music)
And yes, it sounds wonderful.

Looks like I'm going to be working overtime to pay this off. :p

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,512 of 7,358
I just received by Abyss Diana V2 (all black) headphone.

I'm actually able to run it from my SR25 DAP in 2.5mm balanced connection. (135-150 volume for most music)
And yes, it sounds wonderful.

Looks like I'm going to be working overtime to pay this off. :p
Dayummm that’s good news! What’s the sound like?

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2,513 of 7,358
Balanced, yet exciting and very engaging at the same time. Bass, mids and highs are there when the song calls for it. Also, it's quite detailed and doesn't fall apart when the volume is turned up.

Just like I remember. :)

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #2,514 of 7,358
Thanks for your thoughts @seamon. The Diana was a compromise financially and my ultimate goal was the 1266. I suppose I could just sell both and get the 1266 at some point...this hobby I swear! :beyersmile:
I haven't heard the LCD4, but had the DV2 and DPHI. The midrange is cleaner and imo better on the PHI. I don't like smooth sound usually and found that PHI does it better than the V2 in that regard. that was just my overall feel for the V2 vs PHI across most of the spectrum.
Adding this as I believe you mentioned you have the PHI while seamen has the V2.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #2,515 of 7,358
At this moment I'm trying to decide between the Lotoo Paw 6000 and the Astell & Kern Kann Alpha.

Has anyone had experience trying to run the Abyss Diana V2 from the LP6K?

I have run it with LP6K, LPGT, and Fiio M15. M15 is the only one that has enough power to drive it properly (in the headphone mode).

I have also used it with the LPGT (line-out) + WA11 combo, which sounds very good to me. However, I already find the setup with M15 alone to be acceptable. I think it achieves 70-80% of the LPGT+WA11.

To fully win over these portable pairs, I believe that you will need a desktop setup. Dinna V2 is an amazing headphone, and you will get more of it with better amps and dacs.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #2,516 of 7,358
I have run it with LP6K, LPGT, and Fiio M15. M15 is the only one that has enough power to drive it properly (in the headphone mode).

I have also used it with the LPGT (line-out) + WA11 combo, which sounds very good to me. However, I already find the setup with M15 alone to be acceptable. I think it achieves 70-80% of the LPGT+WA11.

To fully win over these portable pairs, I believe that you will need a desktop setup. Dinna V2 is an amazing headphone, and you will get more of it with better amps and dacs.
Everybody praises the Diana V2 + WA11 and I'm sitting here like - it sounds like trash. Maybe I shouldn't have expected it to sound like a desktop rig (RME ADI-2 FS) but then again my current portable setup (Oriolus stack) sounds better.

If you think the WA11 sounds good with Diana V2 then I wonder if you are even driving it properly with the DAPs.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #2,517 of 7,358
Everybody praises the Diana V2 + WA11 and I'm sitting here like - it sounds like trash. Maybe I shouldn't have expected it to sound like a desktop rig (RME ADI-2 FS) but then again my current portable setup (Oriolus stack) sounds better.

If you think the WA11 sounds good with Diana V2 then I wonder if you are even driving it properly with the DAPs.
I don't have a better point of reference at this moment. Maybe I will get the broadway amp or the GS-X mini. At that point, I will be able to say something about this.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #2,518 of 7,358
I don't have a better point of reference at this moment. Maybe I will get the broadway amp or the GS-X mini. At that point, I will be able to say something about this.
My main problem with just the amp portion of the WA11 was that it introduces low frequency distortion in the signal(as measured by ASR), this causes the sound to become annoyingly warm. A Solid State amp should behave like a wire with gain imo.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2,519 of 7,358
If my SR25 can run these headphones, even if is has to be near max volume, then I wonder if getting the Astell & Kern Kann Alpha will be an overkill. The Alpha unbalanced is already 3 times as powerful as the balanced output of the SR25.

Thoughts?

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #2,520 of 7,358
My main problem with just the amp portion of the WA11 was that it introduces low frequency distortion in the signal(as measured by ASR), this causes the sound to become annoyingly warm. A Solid State amp should behave like a wire with gain imo.
I am actually quite excited to know that the setup can become even better with a better AMP. I am now establishing my desktop setup step-by-step. Last week I tried the new SMSL M-400 as the desktop dac and pair it with the WA11, and I am already feeling the improvement. I am sure it will get even better with a real desktop amp.

If my SR25 can run these headphones, even if is has to be near max volume, then I wonder if getting the Astell & Kern Kann Alpha will be an overkill. The Alpha unbalanced is already 3 times as powerful as the balanced output of the SR25.

Thoughts?
Sometimes it is not just about the volume; it is also about the textures and details the dac/amp can offer.

For example, technically I can run the v2 with LP6K at almost full volume. However, the details and overall experience is honestly not at the same level compared to the LPGT+WA11, or even the M15 alone.

Thoughts?
BTW, If you are looking for portable usages I think Abyss is recommending an ifi Bluetooth player on their website. Their people seem to be pretty happy about it, and even made a video of it.

https://abyss-headphones.com/collec...i-xcan-portable-bluetooth-headphone-amplifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back