Diablo 3 was announced today ;)
Jun 29, 2008 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Luminette

1000+ Head-Fier
Blizzard Entertainment

Didn't see another thread here for it yet. This is a huge deal. The deal is huger than huge. Of course it won't be out for probably three years... but when it is
evil_smiley.gif

I love what they've done with it. They definitely learned from WoW a good bit and have incorporated some aspects, but it is very much a Diablo game. The revamped atmosphere, looks and playstyle are exactly what they needed to do. Check the gameplay video

And the cinematic trailer.. just yummm.

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 57
I can't wait.

Jun 29, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardcoreckn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hope there's no monthly fee.

Yeah. But, after they got a taste of the monthly yumyum of WoW... I would be unsurprised if they moved into monthly fee territory for this game

And, yeah, the gameplay looks really rich and dynamic. This is going to be good

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 57
i just hope it doesn't get too 'fair' and inflexible, you know?

Most of the fun of diablo 2, for me at least, was coming up with unique builds for characters.

like, my favorite part was how flexible it was.

all of the blizzard strategy guides always emphasized having a 'jack of all trades' character. put 5 points in this ability, put 10 in this one, put 5 in this one, pick the one that's best for your situation.

yeah, i did that. for my first character. but then what? you pick an ability you like and that you're good at, and concentrate in it.

like, for example, let me refer to my old d2 character, my barbarian. the barbarian is supposed to be a tough hand to hand fighter. strong defense, shield blocking, strong attack, etc. he's supposed to have several different attacks he can use, depending on who he is fighting. he's meant to have high strength (for damage, big weapon, heavy armor) and high dexterity (for high blocking, good 'attack rating' - ability to hit people with high defense, etc)

but, come on, that's boring. i built a 'magekiller' barbarian, one that was built to be tough against magic attacks, fast enough to catch a teleporting character, and with a powerful enough attack to kill most spellcasters in 1-2 seconds. To get that, though, I had no blocking, a very low defense, and a low 'attack rating' meaning that would get my ass whooped in melee combat with any barbarian or paladin who's even remotely skilled. but i didn't care, because i liked running around and attacking better than just standing there and swinging my axe at another guy.

to summarize my long boring tirade on gaming, the best part about diablo 2 for me was how flexible it was - how i could make a character exactly the way I wanted. the game didn't force me to make my character well-rounded or balanced.

building a character that was all-over-the-place unguided was fun the first few times, but it gets old. the reason diablo 2 had so much replayability (is that a word?) is that you could customize and specialize your character so much. you could have someone with one ability/attack that you liked, a kickass one trick pony.

i don't want diablo 3 to lose that.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 57
They should've finished SC2 before announcing this.
frown.gif
I'd rather let them concentrate on a more anticipated game rather than announcing another big game. But oh well. I play all Blizzard games besides WoW! Can't wait for this AND SC2!

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 57
I'm probably going to get it the day it comes out, then get on Battle.net and register some really unique character names, then just sit on them until I get the chance to actually play them. I didn't start D2 until 1.08, and by then, all the really unique ones were taken. I always thought it was cool when someone with like a level 95 character with a name like "Thunder" or something was in a game, because its like "damn, he must have made that character like four years ago to get that name"

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 57
From watching the gameplay trailer, this looks like a departure back to the original Diablo, which is the best thing they could have done. The massive, insane hordes of enemies and ridiculous buckets of gore from Diablo I is what made that game classic.

Diablo II with it's pseudo-MMOG save system and the ever-annoying stamina bar turned me off, but looking at this here brings back some VERY fond memories of the original Diablo.

Let's just hope you can save your game whenever you feel like it...

Diablo is Blizzard's only worthy IP, it's good that they're using it instead of just ripping off Games Workshop like they usually do.

I am excited. I REALLY hope this one goes back to Diablo I's insane-killing gameplay and stays far, far away from Diablo II's skill-building, item-collecting, pseudo-MMO nonsense.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should've finished SC2 before announcing this.
frown.gif
I'd rather let them concentrate on a more anticipated game rather than announcing another big game. But oh well. I play all Blizzard games besides WoW! Can't wait for this AND SC2!

uhm... they are each in their own respective departments... so it wouldnt matter with annoucements... its not like announcing one thing will screw up or delay another game from another department.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 57
Diablo 1 was a very dark, brooding game, with mood like you wouldn't believe. Just returning to that dull, mostly brown, green and grey town was like a breath of fresh air on a sunny day after trawling those endless levels of the dungeon, dying, and seeing how you could clear those rooms filled with all manner of hard to kill things. The game was a one-trick pony, from the simpler days of PC gaming.

Looking at Diablo 3, it seems like there is a little bit of WoW included in the feel, a little more upbeat, even, though never having actually played WoW, I can't really say that with any merit.

It is clear though that standards have evolved, and Diablo is evolving along with them, so with our modern expectations, this new one should be right on target.

Still, watching the high def gameplay is a stunning experience, and I can't wait. We'll be waiting for a year or two to come, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back