Diabetics Represent
Feb 23, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #46 of 63
I wonder if raising Ph with Himalayan Pink Salt,Iononized Alkaline water, or Coral Calcium, would help with the ketoacidosis, by making the body more alkaline.....
Things that make you go,"hmmmmmm"

Feb 23, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #48 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if raising Ph with Himalayan Pink Salt,Iononized Alkaline water, or Coral Calcium, would help with the ketoacidosis, by making the body more alkaline.....
Things that make you go,"hmmmmmm"

Hi,

In ketoacidosis the acidosis is not the major problem, but dehydration and increased osmolarity (higher amount of particles per unit of water) which pull water out from the cells.

Acidosis can be corrected with intravenous bicarbonate if needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats is awosem info. It was always explained to me in hella stupid terms when I first got it at 14. Hence from what i said above but this is really good info to have.

Some doctors oversimplify things until they are impossible to be understood.
smily_headphones1.gif
And that does not help the patients.
"That is just how it is, mmmkay?"

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

In ketoacidosis the acidosis is not the major problem, but dehydration and increased osmolarity (higher amount of particles per unit of water) which pull water out from the cells.

Acidosis can be corrected with intravenous bicarbonate if needed.

Some doctors oversimplify things until they are impossible to be understood.
smily_headphones1.gif
And that does not help the patients.
"That is just how it is, mmmkay?"

Ok, and wouldnt salt balance the water ratio in the cells?
Salt and minerals balance fluids in the body, electrolites etc., so i figured maybe it may help.
Changing the bodys Ph could help.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, and wouldnt salt balance the water ratio in the cells?
Salt and minerals balance fluids in the body, electrolites etc., so i figured maybe it may help.
Changing the bodys Ph could help.

If you eat salt (NaCl) it will not increase osmolarity inside the cells, but temorarly along with water increase the fluid/blood volum (if eaten along with water) and osmolarity of the fluid outside the cells. (so actually worsen the situation in this case) Until the kidneys can remove it, and in this case the kidneys do not work properly, because there is a loss of total "blood volum". (body protects the most important organs (like the brain) and shunt the blood to them .

In this case there are to many osmotically active molecules/ions in the body fluids. Because the glucos level has increased dramatically. Think of it like the sugar molecules displace the water, and thus compared to the fluid inside the cells there will be less H2O per unit of volum outside of the cell sompaired to inside the cell) Water is pulled out from the cell and cause "osmotic strain" on the cell . If we add more iones this will worsen the situation. Isted the therapy is hydrating the patient (give a slightly hypoosmotic (lower salte concentration then in the body) solution.

To prevent ketoacidosis it is first of all essential to maintaine a well controled blood glucose level, and drink properly amounts of water. Especially in the cases when you are ill

You are correct that in the initial phase of ketoacidosis there is loss of sodium through the kidneys. When the high glucose prevent the kidney to reabsorbe water and water along with Na+ is lost in urin. So in the initial pahse the sodium loss compensate for some of the glucose increase. But as water intak decrease due to nausea vomiting from the developing acidosis and and glucose increase, ketoscidosis develop. (it is getting relatively advanced now, so I dont know if my explinations are understandable??)

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #51 of 63
Quote:

To prevent ketoacidosis it is first of all essential to maintaine a well controled blood glucose level, and drink properly amounts of water. Especially in the cases when you are ill
)

I rocked Ketoacidosis for around 4-5 months but i drank around 1-1.5 gallons of water a day and must have been pissing 10+ times a day.

Feb 25, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rocked Ketoacidosis for around 4-5 months but i drank around 1-1.5 gallons of water a day and must have been pissing 10+ times a day.

As long as the blood glucose level is not corrected you will lose water because of glucose spilling over into the urin.

Was it right before you started on insulin or in that periode?

It is strange that you you had repeats of ketoacidosis, I would think that you did not recive proper treatment initially.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

As long as the blood glucose level is not corrected you will lose water because of glucose spilling over into the urin.

Was it right before you started on insulin or in that periode?

It is strange that you you had repeats of ketoacidosis, I would think that you did not recive proper treatment initially.

It was before i knew i was diabetic. When I finally did go in and get diagnosed the AC1 had shown levels of 400+ blood sugars for over 3 months. I started drinking water like a fish about 4.5 months before i went into the doc. They assumed the only reason i didnt passout/die/show horrid signs is due to the fact that i was drinking so much water and constantly flushing my system.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #55 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you guys post your current HBA1C numbers here?

I never take my blood sugar and last time my HBA1C was 7.5? Never have I had above a 7.9. Best was like a 6.1.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #56 of 63
i had anxiety not long ago and i thought i had diabetes . Im also wondering if i have prediabetes .

i have a hba1c of 5.3 if im not mistaken the lab that draw my blood has a range of 4.1-5.3

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #57 of 63
HbA1c and Blood Glucose Equivalents

at 5.3 you are rocking

5.3 = 99

a 99 avg blood sugar level... you shouldnt worry. And if you still are try and go werk out more and stay in shape.

at 7.5 im rocking a

7.5 = 165

so... yeah....

"The normal amount of sugar in the blood ranges from about 70 mg/dL to about 120 mg/dL in people who don't have diabetes. Blood sugar goes up after eating, but returns to the normal range in 1 or 2 hours. A good blood sugar range for most poeple with diabetes is from about 70 mg/dL to 150 mg/dL. This is before a meal - like before breakfast or 4 to 5 hours after you last meal. Your blood sugar should be less than 200 mg/dL about 2 hours after your last meal. The American Diabetes Association recommends an A1c of 7% or lower."

my doctor says for people age 18-25ish they aim for a 80-180 blood sugar range. 180 is a HBA1C of like 8.

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #58 of 63
Type 1 Diabetic here, MODY variant (wasnt diagnosed until age 15), insulin resistant, prior to being on pump was taking 250 units of Humulin N and 100 units of Humulin R / day (medical insurance company actually cut me off at one point and accused me of health insurance fraud stating that one individual could not possible consume that much insulin). I'm now on a medtronic Paradigm 712 and advise against anyone purchasing from medtronic as they do not put their customers/patients as a priority.

I won't even bother mentioning my last HA1C as its a discrace / my health is on the fritz at the moment.

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Type 1 Diabetic here, MODY variant (wasnt diagnosed until age 15), insulin resistant, prior to being on pump was taking 250 units of Humulin N and 100 units of Humulin R / day (medical insurance company actually cut me off at one point and accused me of health insurance fraud stating that one individual could not possible consume that much insulin). I'm now on a medtronic Paradigm 712 and advise against anyone purchasing from medtronic as they do not put their customers/patients as a priority.

I won't even bother mentioning my last HA1C as its a discrace / my health is on the fritz at the moment.

=( I wish you well sir Insulin Resistant is a pisser. Hope you pull through this!

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #60 of 63
Its a pisser literally! He must be pissin a flood!
I hate waking up 3 times a night to pee when im out of control.
Pills arent doing it for me anymore really, even with herbs and vitamins and minerals.
Next step will probably be insulin within the next year i feel.
I guess ill try to stiffin my program some more first. Lots of fiber, walking more, lower carb , etc.

Wish you luck , fsma!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back