DI, Y not build another. Power DT-990 600 ohm.
Aug 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Coupe

500+ Head-Fier
Ok so the wallet is open again. 
L3000.gif

I have decided to purchase a pair of K701s to check out and pair it with the Millet MiniMax (love it!) as an office setup.  Boss is getting kinda mad about the isolation from IEMs.  So that means the DT-990 600s are home alone!  
frown.gif

Anyway,  I am looking for a home rig to build.  I have only listened to hybrid for a full size amp.  Also using a T3D for portable.  Pretty powerful little guy.  So what are you recommendations to power the DT-990 600s @ home.  I listen primarily to trance, but also frequent some classic rock on occasion.

Thank you for all your advice!

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 15
What's your budget?  Are you looking to build another hybrid, or are you interested in solid state or tube designs?  Do you want to build from a PCB or are you interested in going point-to-point with tubes?

If you're running the 600 Ohm DT990s, you could choose one of the nice OTL tube amp designs.

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 15
If you are interested in a high voltage amp, I would second the vote for an OTL tube amp. I really enjoyed my DT770/600 Xhing-sheng 708b amp combo.

Keep tabs on the FS forum, with carefully planned mods the base unit can take on a whole new character.

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 15
oooo What is this OTL tube amp?  I am a mechanic/computer builder so I am decent with my hands.  I would love to build this myself instead of buying one on the forums.

I would also appreciate all links so I can start gathering informations.  @nikon what are you referring to mods on the base amp?

Is this buying a current amp and modding it?

I have done a pcb build, but I will do almost anything.

Thanks so much guys!

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 15
Try looking into the Bijou tube amp from Cavalli Audio. It's a fantastic DIY amp and powers my DT-990's just fine. It sounds great also!!

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 15
These both sound like AWESOME builds.  I really don't know which one to choose.  
frown.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 15
So, after some internal debating, I have decided to go for the challenge of building a Bijou.  I will definitely be buying and building Crack with Speedball in the future, as that looks awesome too!  

One thing I was wondering about the Bijou is the enclosure.  What enclosure is recommended and will I have to do any cutting?
Are any of the mods listed on the website recommended for better performance, and what do they contribute?  A lot of  the terminology is going over my head.

Thanks again for all the support! 

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 15
There are a number of enclosures available. One of the easiest to work with (IMHO) are the ones from Par-Metal. You will have to drill holes for the tubes, sockets, jacks, switches, etc., but you can accomplish that with a hand drill easily enough. If you want to go entirely custom, you can build a case from scratch. Currently, there are no cases on the market specifically for the Bijou, so you're going to have to do a little casework yourself. It's not that bad and there are lots of us here who can answer your questions and help you along.

Good choice with the Bijou, it's a wonderful amp. I've heard one at a meet and I have the parts for one boxed up around here somewhere. My plan is to build one point-to-point.

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 15
Hmm, I'm thinking of using aluminum.  It is much more malleable than steal, lighter, and has better conduction for heat.  Would this be a good choice?  Would I have to weld or perhaps they would sell a preformed cavity and I can just mount closing plates?  

Aug 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 15
Aluminum is a great chocie for casework - it's easier to drill and cut. If you buy an enclosure like what Par-Metal or others sell, then you probably won't have to do much more than drill it.

Another option is to go to an electronics surplus store or hamfest to see if you can find an old case that can be repurposed into a new one. I've found cases as low as $10-$20. You usually have to gut them and occasionally paint them, but it's a good way to save money.

If you have access to woodworking tools, that's another option. You might want to look at Bottlehead's designs, where they have a wood frame with a plate of metal on top. That's fairly easy to DIY.

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #12 of 15
I am not familiar with Par-Metal.  What is this?  Are there any links so I can see what you are talking about?

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I am not familiar with Par-Metal.  What is this?  Are there any links so I can see what you are talking about?

They make relatively inexpensive electronics enclosures.

http://www.par-metal.com/

Series 20 is commonly used for projects, but you know your application best. You can frequently find b-stock cases on their ebay store.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 15
OMG THAT's SO COOL!!!!

Hrm maybe I can put like old school analog illuminated meters and  stuff on it?

Is there anything with the bijou about adding LEDs or gauges?

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #15 of 15
Yes, look for meters at eBay and they might have some at Nebraska Surplus. I don't know of any designs that specifically incorporate those, but they're simple to incorporate. Ask around the DIY Forum if you need help hooking them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back