DFW meet - July 28, 2007
Jul 29, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did the Sigma Pro make an apperance? A headphone that large is hard to miss.

Yes, it did, and, I might add it was my least favorite Stax of all time, well, except maybe the 4040... just incredibly muffled, either on the BH or the KGSS (I know, I know, Gilmore Electrostatic)...

Mark, ALL the Lambdas just kicked butt - glad to see you have found something - I have some Lambda Signatures inbound, at least I hope so... and the G.E. was a really nice surprise.

Oh, and the Mullards are waking up - kind of startlingly so... now I get it... <sigh>... more money chasing antique glass.

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #18 of 54
Looks like a fun meet with some interesting gear.
Nice pictures everyone.

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #19 of 54
Wow those Ultrasones got mobbed, look at the fingerprints!

Thanks guitarplayer, those stands are some of my work. I'm usually at these meets, but I couldn't get away this time.

Looks like a good meet, I'm wishing I could have been there.

Jul 29, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #20 of 54
Both headphone stands are awesome! I can't wait to hear an Ultrasone 9.
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #21 of 54
I know, and I gave them a cursory wipe down before I snapped the pics. I guess I missed some prints...Ha! It was hard to get them off anyones head long enough to even get a pic.

Beautiful work on the stands. Keep me in mind next time you get an urge to build a couple. I really dig the two toned wood look on the "Z" stand.

Best,

Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow those Ultrasones got mobbed, look at the fingerprints!

Thanks guitarplayer, those stands are some of my work. I'm usually at these meets, but I couldn't get away this time.

Looks like a good meet, I'm wishing I could have been there.

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer, no hum whatsoever...

Good to hear that balanced really works...
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it did, and, I might add it was my least favorite Stax of all time, well, except maybe the 4040... just incredibly muffled, either on the BH or the KGSS (I know, I know, Gilmore Electrostatic)...

Mark, ALL the Lambdas just kicked butt - glad to see you have found something - I have some Lambda Signatures inbound, at least I hope so... and the G.E. was a really nice surprise.

Oh, and the Mullards are waking up - kind of startlingly so... now I get it... <sigh>... more money chasing antique glass.

The Signatures are very nice but completely different from the Pro's.

Ohh and the XF3's are pretty inferior to the XF2's. Probably not what you wanted to know...
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #23 of 54
Al, the Sigma doesn't jump out at you like the Lambdas but I find them easier to listen to as well. I can imagine people who complain about the Lambda highs might prefer the Sigma.

I thought that the Pro(fessional) sounded more laid back and the Sig(nature) more upfront. I was hoping that there would be more impressions on these as well as HE60 + KGSS. Milkpowder has a HE60 and is wondering what amp to get in the future.

Jul 29, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #24 of 54
Spritzer, I am hunting XF2 now... and, under meet conditions, there is simply no way to discern critical differences. The best I could do was determine I wanted to spend more time with both.

Mark, there were several A/b sessions with the HE60 / KGSS, and, honestly, I found just a bit of difference between the KGSS and the BH - same sound sig, same prat, but just a bit more dynamics on the BH... but, others spent far more time with them than I did. The bottom line is that you cannot go wrong with KGSS if you already have a HE60.

Both Lambda and Signatures are excellent compliments to the HE60... and, can't wait for either type to wander into my posession, if not both.

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

I enjoyed the HeadRoom, but, as you saw, driving them at 5:30 with the Denon 5000 left me a bit non-plussed, even though I am a dyed in the wool Pete Millett fan (the original amp designer).

Hey Pabbi1,
Driving them at "5:30" like you did would have had me more like "deaf" rather then "non-plussed". You got some ears, ha.

Between you and Alex I only understood about every third word you guys were talking about. You tube DIYers are a breed unto yourselves. Thanks for your patience with my ignorance. I appreciate your passion to build a better "mouse trap."

I hope your arm heals quickly, it must be tough slinging those tubes with one hand?

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #26 of 54
The best thing at that meet must've been the copper scrubby pads used as feet. Aren't you afraid they'd scratch the bottom of your gear?

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #27 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Pabbi1,
Driving them at "5:30" like you did would have had me more like "deaf" rather then "non-plussed". You got some ears, ha.

Pabbi1, did you control the volume with the amplifier or the tube buffer Dan had in his system? I think he had it set up so the attenuator was supposed to be cranked on the HeadRoom unit and the volume controlled via the Zbox. Dan, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am borrowing his amp for a few days (thanks Dan for trusting me with it until I can get it back to you) and have been listening to it today minus the Zbox and it is driving any of the cans I have on hand to ear splitting volume.

Just wondering.

Best Wishes,

Lee

Jul 30, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #28 of 54
Those are special audiophile EMI/RFI rejection/absorption feet, currently under development by Dan M. and a team of scientists. They may look like ordinary copper scrubbing pads, oh, but they are so much more!
wink.gif

Take care,

Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best thing at that meet must've been the copper scrubby pads used as feet. Aren't you afraid they'd scratch the bottom of your gear?

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #29 of 54
I'm glad Alex was able to drag me out this meet again! i had a blast as always, but this year wasnt as exciting as the previous - i guess im just too impatient to pick up my new pair of HD-580's to worry about other cans!! Im glad to see some old faes and meet some new members - its really the people not just the gear that makes these meets worthwhile!

Natrually Alex is going to poke and prod me to finally finish my HA-1 and my usb dac but i do believe i am over due
smily_headphones1.gif
- ahh head-fi... what you do to my wallet and how quickly my rig and cans do change.

I just hope i am content with the HD-580's once i have alex recable them and get some 600/650 grills
smily_headphones1.gif
- but seeing my usual trend, i might just end up with a pair of He-60's again. (Way to bring those Al! now i have nostalgia from my old pair and might have to hunt down a new one!!)

Enjoy the tunes!
~Stan

Jul 30, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pabbi1, did you control the volume with the amplifier or the tube buffer Dan had in his system? I think he had it set up so the attenuator was supposed to be cranked on the HeadRoom unit and the volume controlled via the Zbox. Dan, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am borrowing his amp for a few days (thanks Dan for trusting me with it until I can get it back to you) and have been listening to it today minus the Zbox and it is driving any of the cans I have on hand to ear splitting volume.

Just wondering.

Best Wishes,

Lee

Yes, I was driving the Headroom. and no clue what the Xbox was set at, but, no one else had it above about 1 o'clock... my hearing is a little different (all those years playing bass in bands, WAY too loud, and in really loud clubs). My needs are just a bit different.

I also was taken by the brillo pads as isolation, which is a cheap, if not elegant solution.

As for DIY, if you caught a third, you are doing good... especially since we tend to talk in shorthand anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back