Device to Read Bit Depth and Sample Rate?
Aug 15, 2023 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

suchanewbie

New Head-Fier
Morning all

Is anyone aware of a box I can add to my system (presumably between source and DAC) that would indicate both the bit depth and sample rate of the source file, incoming to the DAC? I have multiple sources/streams that I use and I'm not always convinced (looking at you Apple) that I'm getting what I expect. I'm also aware that some people have indicated that some CD players that are defective, don't necessarily output full 16 bit/44.1khz. Therefore it would be good to be able to check exactly what is being fed to my Bifrost 2/64 before heading off to the Violectric?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #2 of 5
Morning all

Is anyone aware of a box I can add to my system (presumably between source and DAC) that would indicate both the bit depth and sample rate of the source file, incoming to the DAC? I have multiple sources/streams that I use and I'm not always convinced (looking at you Apple) that I'm getting what I expect. I'm also aware that some people have indicated that some CD players that are defective, don't necessarily output full 16 bit/44.1khz. Therefore it would be good to be able to check exactly what is being fed to my Bifrost 2/64 before heading off to the Violectric?
Sorry, but I haven't heard of a device like that. Actually, Apple drivers are usually really good, so you might be good :)

Craft Ears Stay updated on Craft Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/craftears https://www.instagram.com/craft.ears/ https://www.craftears.com/
Sep 27, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Morning all

Some DACs (Brooklyn for example) do a good job with this but the info is surprisingly not generally available.

I don't think you have to worry about dedicated hardware not working properly but Apple and audio definitely don't get along. Audiophilestyle has a few threads on to to get bit perfect via Apple setups.

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 5
… Apple and audio definitely don't get along.
Actually, pretty much the exact opposite is true. While PCs can be and are used by many audio professionals, a high proportion of commercial music studios and an even higher proportion of commercial sound (for Film and TV audio) studios use Apple Macs because they generally “get along” with audio better.

G

Oct 1, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 5
There is no such thing.
The only possibility is to go to the settings via software such as Roon or Audirvana and select upsampling there.
This is normally shown in the display of the Dac, but unfortunately only the sampling rate, not the bit depth.

In Windows it is also possible to set it, but I don't know if it is always 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back