Developin an extensive Headphone Sampling System
Jun 10, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 30
how about employing someone who's task is to keep the audition area organized. that way you could have a variety of headphones in a locked display case, and the employee would hold the keys.
have a laminated booklet with the info on the headphones available for the customer to flick through, located close to the display case.
in terms of music, a 30gb ipod loaded up with a wide variety of music at 192kbps or better should work fine, you could even take a lineout to a simple c-moy, that way the ipod could be mounted in some sort of display quite nicely.

i also second the idea of comfy seats and refreshments.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the comments! I really appreciate it. To illuminate this subject a little bit more, actually, our first store is going to mimic closely to the products of AudioCubes.com. That is to say, the headphones we are going to demo are not going to be audiophile end, but more like stylish/colorful/unique ones such as the Zumreed, Audio Technica EC700, Elecom Rhinestone, etc. For the "high end" part we will probably have the A900 and A500 available. Hopefully this won't disappoint anyone, but our store will be more like a headphone slash electronic gadget shop (more like kidrobot's store). The store will hopefully look modern and utilitarian, but definitely not like a high end stereo showroom. Maybe one day when we open a flagship store in Soho we will have all headphones available for demoing.

With that said, the demoing wall will have 20+ headphones for users to try on without exposing the wires/amps/sources. Since all the headphones are rather low end, will amping be needed? If so, what's the most cost effective way and efficient way to connect all the headphones to 1 sound source securely without anybody trying to unplug the headphones and run? Thanks everyone. Let me know of your comments!

Well, well... Clearly, I had the wrong idea about the store, Kohn. Can't blame an audiophile for trying!...
smily_headphones1.gif
We don't get asked about much of anything -- which puzzles me to no end, bacause here we are, buying extravagant stuff and committed to the hobby for the long range. Generations of newbies will be introduced to the hobby by us. (Geez, we even heed the call from Jude and come here preach for free!) According to The Absolute Sound, in a recent editorial, "high-end audio comes in from the cold". People who are introduced to headphones for their iPod-assisted commute soon find themselves used to the headphone routine and turn to places like Head-Fi for advice -- where they get an earful about high-end sound quality. Etc, etc. So, you won't blame me for thinking/hoping AudioCubes was ready to embrace the faithful and lead the way upwards -- which may be what you are doing after all, just not at our preferred speed. I wouldn't dream of questioning anybody's business decisions -- particularly those by experienced professionals. I have no clue about how one runs a business. What I do know is that headphiles remain without a bricks-and-mortar shelter even at a place like New York City. So, I'll be looking forward to hearing from you about that Soho store where one can sit down around good electronics, smiling salespeople, a drink or two, and sample the stuff that headphilia is made of.
600smile.gif

Good luck, Kohn!

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 30
Soundinista, not a problem with the comment. The demographic of our store's customer, or even the customers of our website right now may be quite different from that of headroom, jandr, b&h. Our appeal is more toward the ipod generation, people who like stylish and quality products, instead of things over at Stereo Exchange on Broardway. The target retail space will be 400 square feet, which is fairly small so we probably won't be able to offer seating or refreshments. I myself am certainly more as a headphon/audio geek so if one day we have the money, I will definitely try to make sure the bigger retail space has a room dedicated for demoing like the way you guys mentioned.

The idea right now is that we will have an ipod embedded in the wall (which connects to maybe 3 multi-channel amps) and customers can select their own music and listen through headphones with individual volume controlled amps. I am just not quite sure how this can be done.

Jun 10, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it may be a mistake not to offer some of your high-end headphones for sale at the store. There are few other US distributors of the headphone brands that you carry (Audio-Technica, JVC, Denon), so it is unlikely customers who like what they hear at your store would buy those phones elsewhere because they can get them for less on the web. As far as I know, most of the high-end headphones you carry can only be purchased from web retailers based in Japan, who charge virtually the same price as Audiocubes. Personally, I have purchased both of my "higher-end" headphones at retail stores in New York City (my HD650s at B&H and a pair of Grado SR-225s at Harvey's), because I didn't want to deal with the possibility of having to wait for a delivery from an internet retailer, or have to mail back headphones I didn't like. Harvey's carries Sennheiser and Grado lines -- if a customer wants to listen, a salesperson brings out the headphones from a display case and plugs them in to an audio system that pipes in a few channels of music (classical, jazz, rock.) B&H offers even less to its customers-- you can bring an iPod to demo the Sennheisers, but the listening conditions are far from ideal, since it is a crowded, loud store. I suspect you would be missing out on a lot of business if you didn't at least offer some high-end headphones for sale at your store. New York is a wealthy city, and there are a lot of people who wouldn't think twice about plunking down $1,000 on a headphone that blows them away, even if they only came in to your store to browse the gadgets and lower-end headphones there.

Still, I have to agree with terriblepaulz when it comes to Audiocubes's intended sales demographic: Head-Fi'ers represent a near nonexistent market, and the general public is certainly not interested in purchasing headphones outside the $100 mark; which is even then pushing it for most. It might be a good idea to keep stock of higher-end products in back rooms, but having them out on display would make customers wonder whether Audiocubes is a unique electronics store or just another stereo shop that happens to stock headphones rather than speakers; ruining the company's image. I assume, although do not know for sure, that Audiocubes wants to be viewed as a store where people can walk in, see something interesting, and actually make a purchase, rather than drool over $500 plus products in a definitively niche market. In other words, they don't want to be the Gucci of the electronic world.

Just my opinion, however.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, I have to agree with terriblepaulz when it comes to Audiocubes's intended sales demographic: Head-Fi'ers represent a near nonexistent market, and the general public is certainly not interested in purchasing headphones outside the $100 mark; which is even then pushing it for most. It might be a good idea to keep stock of higher-end products in back rooms, but having them out on display would make customers wonder whether Audiocubes is a unique electronics store or just another stereo shop that happens to stock headphones rather than speakers; ruining the company's image. I assume, although do not know for sure, that Audiocubes wants to be viewed as a store where people can walk in, see something interesting, and actually purchase it, rather than drool over $500 plus products in a definitively niche market. In other words, they don't want to be the Gucci of the electronic world.

Just my opinion, however.

Maybe that's right as a business decision, but I doubt it. I think the news about our diminutive status is highly exaggerated. But, again, I'm just trying to make an educated guess, not looking at spreadsheets and statistics. As I see new products, like the Denons, the high-end JVC, the AT's, the AKG's, Beyer Manufacture, the booming Head-Fi sponsorship...I can't help thinking that we may be bigger than some say we are. Moreover, look at Head-Fi: When I first came here a few months ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see (a) how prominent audiophilia is on these forums, (b) how fast the average Head-Fier seems to upgrade and (c) how young these determined and knowledgeable upgraders seem to be. But maybe it's just my addiction clouding my judgment.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #21 of 30
I'm thinking something along the lines of what Sennheiser or Koss did for the national meet. Basically, they used a studio headphone amp (something with like 4+ headphone jacks) to split the signal.. and put it behind a fancy rack/cardboard display case... and it looked good.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking something along the lines of what Sennheiser or Koss did for the national meet. Basically, they used a studio headphone amp (something with like 4+ headphone jacks) to split the signal.. and put it behind a fancy rack/cardboard display case... and it looked good.

Hey, I came in here to say that.
biggrin.gif

If you look through catalogs of pro soundgear, you'll find all sorts of headphone amps, banks, etc. for multiple people to listen in a studio. Pro gear would probably be best, as it's usually designed to be beaten in the studio and hold up. What come to mind first is the PreSonus HP4. It's about $100 and can amp four pairs of headphones. If you want to do 16 or 20 headphones, you could just buy multiples and group by brand or something.

However, I would also set aside a "booth" or two with a couple nice headphone amps in there. Probably one or two tube amps, since that would draw a lot of attention from the customers. It'll provide some isolation and you could have sales staff control use of them. Put all the good headphones in there, as well.

Also, it would give an air of exclusivity to the top headphones and amps. People will be drawn to that. Might actually help sales. Even if they didn't buy after hearing a "top" system, odds are they'll come away thinking it sounded great and will mention to others just how good headphones can sound.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it may be a mistake not to offer some of your high-end headphones for sale at the store. There are few other US distributors of the headphone brands that you carry (Audio-Technica, JVC, Denon), so it is unlikely customers who like what they hear at your store would buy those phones elsewhere because they can get them for less on the web. As far as I know, most of the high-end headphones you carry can only be purchased from web retailers based in Japan, who charge virtually the same price as Audiocubes. Personally, I have purchased both of my "higher-end" headphones at retail stores in New York City (my HD650s at B&H and a pair of Grado SR-225s at Harvey's), because I didn't want to deal with the possibility of having to wait for a delivery from an internet retailer, or have to mail back headphones I didn't like. Harvey's carries Sennheiser and Grado lines -- if a customer wants to listen, a salesperson brings out the headphones from a display case and plugs them in to an audio system that pipes in a few channels of music (classical, jazz, rock.) B&H offers even less to its customers-- you can bring an iPod to demo the Sennheisers, but the listening conditions are far from ideal, since it is a crowded, loud store. I suspect you would be missing out on a lot of business if you didn't at least offer some high-end headphones for sale at your store. New York is a wealthy city, and there are a lot of people who wouldn't think twice about plunking down $1,000 on a headphone that blows them away, even if they only came in to your store to browse the gadgets and lower-end headphones there.

It would be a dream of mine to walk into a store, try out hi end phones & purchase one.. I hate having to buy all my equipment online.. Cause the public & store are ignorant to good sounding, Hi End headphones..

Jun 10, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...] However, I would also set aside a "booth" or two with a couple nice headphone amps in there. Probably one or two tube amps, since that would draw a lot of attention from the customers. It'll provide some isolation and you could have sales staff control use of them. Put all the good headphones in there, as well.

Also, it would give an air of exclusivity to the top headphones and amps. People will be drawn to that. Might actually help sales. Even if they didn't buy after hearing a "top" system, odds are they'll come away thinking it sounded great and will mention to others just how good headphones can sound.

My thoughts exactly! In my own limited personal experience (friends, spouses, significant others), I've never seen anyone remain impervious to the hi-end audio experience -- not a soul! Everyone who's exposed to it will, sooner or later, incorporate some measure of it into their lives. The popular iPod-type and home-theater-in-a-box experiences are raising the standards at an astonishing rate. Where are all those people going next? (Just a little armchair social science!
lambda.gif
)

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe that's right as a business decision, but I doubt it. I think the news about our diminutive status is highly exaggerated. But, again, I'm just trying to make an educated guess, not looking at spreadsheets and statistics. As I see new products, like the Denons, the high-end JVC, the AT's, the AKG's, Beyer Manufacture, the booming Head-Fi sponsorship...I can't help thinking that we may be bigger than some say we are. Moreover, look at Head-Fi: When I first came here a few months ago, I was pleasantly surprised to see (a) how prominent audiophilia is on these forums, (b) how fast the average Head-Fier seems to upgrade and (c) how young these determined and knowledgeable upgraders seem to be. But maybe it's just my addiction clouding my judgment.

I do agree with you that we're definitly a large community as far as online forums go, but size doesn't matter as much as the actual hobby when it comes to the population's general view of something. For example, there could be a 500 member forum covering the subject of gardening, but no one's going to stop and think about how absurd gardening is, because it's something that nearly everyone can relate to in a different way. Head-Fi, on the other hand, consists of nearly 100 times the amount of members as this fictional forum, yet it's much harder for the general population to comprehend the emotional attachment that comes with audiophilia, so on a grand scale, less people are actually interested.

Well, how does this relate back to Audiocubes? You see, the last thing I would assume AC wants is to appear as though they are catering to an extremely select and rather exquisite market; rather, they prefer to be viewed as a truly one-of-a-kind store with unique products that the public can actually buy. Putting high-end products out on display would in a way confuse the public, and would further conflict with the image of AC.

Just a humble man's opinion, again.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do agree with you that we're definitly a large community as far as online forums go, but size doesn't matter as much as the actual hobby when it comes to the population's general view of something. For example, there could be a 500 member forum covering the subject of gardening, but no one's going to stop and think about how absurd gardening is, because it's something that nearly everyone can relate to in a different way. Head-Fi, on the other hand, consists of nearly 100 times the amount of members as this fictional forum, yet it's much harder for the general population to comprehend the emotional attachment that comes with audiophilia, so on a grand scale, less people are actually interested.

Well, how does this relate back to Audiocubes? You see, the last thing I would assume AC wants is to appear as though they are catering to an extremely select and rather exquisite market; rather, they prefer to be viewed as a truly one-of-a-kind store with unique products that the public can actually buy. Putting high-end products out on display would in a way confuse the public, and would further conflict with the image of AC.

Just a humble man's opinion, again.
biggrin.gif

Hmmmm... No, I'm afraid that won't fly, Motoxguy. You've made two difficult claims:

1. We're big -- and, yet, people have a hard time relating to our hobby.

Is this really coherent? It looks more like a paradox to me.

2. People will be confused if they see those hi-end phones -- which they presumably can't actually buy.

Well, they are buying widescreen TV's, computers that are faster than they need, with gargantuan hard disks, new cars, Blackberries, all those gardening tools...
wink.gif
And who's gonna be confused? Not, I suppose, the people who are lining up to buy those little monsters, iPhones, or the people who are buying all that complicated mid-fi stuff at Best Buy.

If I had five million dollars to start a small Manhattan store (certainly less than Kohn's start-up capital, I guess), I'd put that idea to the test -- with all those scary headphones hanging there, begging to be tested by the brave and clear-headed!

Just another humble opinion.
lambda.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #27 of 30
Guys (and girls), let's not get into fights or have awkward moments because of our business plan! We do really appreciate all of your comments and will certainly take them into consideration. Head-fiers have always presented as a strong customer base for us so the catch really is to present a coherent product line that will appeal to the general public, without alienating ourselves into a particular niche market. In any case, regarding the original purpose of this thread, we are now looking for makers to custom make this kind of wall mount headphone demo board. If you are interested in working with us to create a large wall mount (wood or metal) demo station, please let us know.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #28 of 30
You should obviously have the high-end setup in the back room...
...available upon request...
...that would double as your own personal lab.
icon10.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys (and girls), let's not get into fights or have awkward moments because of our business plan!

Kohn, I hope my reply to Motoxguy at #26 above was not perceived as part of any fight. In my mind, it was just normal, respectful disagreement between fellow Head-Fiers. Nothing could be farther from my mind than fights when I come here. This is all about fun among kindred spirits for me. But we do disagree on occasion, and that need not be perceived as a bad thing in itself, I suppose. I'm surprised to see that #26 may be perceived that way. Hope that was not Motoxguy's interpretation.

There was a report on research about e-mail exchanges some time ago (I forget the source) according to which people routinely step on each other's toes without meaning to do so when exchanging messages, sometimes seriously and inadvertently offending each other. It's the nature of the medium. It's slippery when you verbally express disagreement in a very concise manner, without the nuances of body language. Even our beloved smilies can't help us sometimes.
tongue.gif
In any case, here it is, for the record...

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #30 of 30
Basically just stack a half dozen of these:
aicons_1953_9769977

Or these:

BEHRINGER_HA8000.jpg

Behind a slick,
neutral-colored(white/grey/black)
"Audio-Cubes logo" all-over diagonal print facade,
(like Louis Vuitton),
tune source to the most popular pop music podcast of the week,
or the most popular pop FM station that week,
and you're set.