DEVA Pro with Bluemini R2R--Combining the Best of the HIFIMAN Latest Developments
Aug 6, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #271 of 354
I own the "normal" Deva right now, and I have seen the Deva Pro has 2x3,5mm ports and a new 2x3,5mm cable.

So if I use that cable, can I expect the Deva Pro to go louder than the "normal" Deva? Or what other kind of improvement can I expect if I use that option? I have read it is not a "real" balanced input or something..

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #272 of 354
I own the "normal" Deva right now, and I have seen the Deva Pro has 2x3,5mm ports and a new 2x3,5mm cable.

So if I use that cable, can I expect the Deva Pro to go louder than the "normal" Deva? Or what other kind of improvement can I expect if I use that option? I have read it is not a "real" balanced input or something..
Both the single cable, and the dual 3.5mm cable connect to both speakers. The only difference is that the single connector will allow you to also use a balanced cable, whereas if you connect with the dual cable (in both connectors) you can only use SE. So, you are right, using the dual cable is not a balanced connection (nor can it be). If you want a balanced connection, you will need to use the single cable on the side marked as such (with an arrow IIRC).

As for volume, it will depend on if the newer Deva is more efficient and/or has less impedance as to whether it can get louder or not. It has been my experience that in wired mode the OG Deva get very loud (enough to damage your hearing), so why you might want it to get louder I am not sure. If you DO need it to get louder, it won't be because of the cable, per se', it will be in how much output power your source has to give.

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #274 of 354
Thanks.

But for what benefit would someone prefer to use a dual cable?

Think of it like this:

“Dual cable” is the default. Just like any typical headphone. One wire goes to each ear cup for a single ended connection.

“Single cable” is used in this SPECIFIC case for a balanced connection. The Deva Pro is a little strange in that it uses a single jack on one of the ear cups for a balanced connection. On most headphones you’d use a “dual cable” that’s balanced, but that won’t work with the Deva Pro. You need a single balanced cable going to the one ear cup in order to run them as balanced.

It’s actually harder to explain than it should be. Hifiman did it this way to support the Blue Mini DAC/AMP and it’s really a pain.

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #275 of 354
Thanks.

But for what benefit would someone prefer to use a dual cable?

Think of it like this:

“Dual cable” is the default. Just like any typical headphone. One wire goes to each ear cup for a single ended connection.

“Single cable” is used in this SPECIFIC case for a balanced connection. The Deva Pro is a little strange in that it uses a single jack on one of the ear cups for a balanced connection. On most headphones you’d use a “dual cable” that’s balanced, but that won’t work with the Deva Pro. You need a single balanced cable going to the one ear cup in order to run them as balanced.

It’s actually harder to explain than it should be. Hifiman did it this way to support the Blue Mini DAC/AMP and it’s really a pain.
Yep. It really seems like it is quite backwards in the way that it should be. LOL

As for the benefits for using a dual cable, there are none sonically. Actually, and technically a balanced connection should be better because the two sides (left and right) don't share a ground. This will reduce noise (crosstalk) attenuation on both sides. But the main reason people like to use a balanced connection is because (at least with portable gear) balanced output connectors from amps tend to have more power than from single ended. There ARE exceptions to every rule though.

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #276 of 354
Our rather delayed review of the Deva Pro with comparisons to the original and including the Bluemini R2R :)

https://headfonics.com/hifiman-deva-pro-review/

1660393559760.png

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #277 of 354
But they have agreed to send you a new one?

Yes. They sent me a replacement Bluemini R2R after I returned the defective one (to an address in Poland).

But there was a delay of several weeks. I had to remind them to sent the replacement, which then arrived after two days.

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #278 of 354
Yes. They sent me a replacement Bluemini R2R after I returned the defective one (to an address in Poland).

But there was a delay of several weeks. I had to remind them to sent the replacement, which then arrived after two days.
That's great to hear! Bet you were sweating for a minute?! hehe

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #279 of 354
I have been troubled with noise problems with Bluemini R2R since the purchase of Deva Pro. I replaced it a few times since the unit has various noise related problems. The last replacement I received was fine for a while then recently it started making white noise between the tracks or when the volume is small.

It also happens when the headphones are connected via USB so I assume the problem is its DAC. Like some people here mentioned I am also not happy with volume control level. It gets either loud too quickly or it’s get too small. No finer gradual controls.
Much cheaper consumer wireless headphones has no such issues, no obvious white noise and volume control is much finer.
I use Deva Pro for listening to classic music. The noise/volume control problems annoys me a lot, for classic music the silence is equally important as the sound.

Recently I mostly use Deva Pro with wired connection via portable DAC unit. I like the sound of headphones so it is such a shame that Bluemini can’t control the base noise and volume control. Even much cheaper wireless headphones do much better job for that regards and it is basic... This headphones are meant to be for audiophile people…

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #281 of 354
Edit:
Sorry, I just should have read the previous post. I have the same noise issues. So there are units where this problem does not exist?
Edit:
Sorry, I just should have read the previous post. I have the same noise issues. So there are units where this problem does not exist?
The unit I received as the replacement had almost no noise first then it started again over the time. I read many reviews and some people also mentioned about the static noise between the tracks so I assume many unit has this noise issue.

It is just not that obvious if you listen to non classic/acoustic music which is loud enough to cover the small noise through the entire track. When I listen to non-classic music the noise issue doesn’t bother me much.

Sep 6, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #282 of 354
The unit I received as the replacement had almost no noise first then it started again over the time. I read many reviews and some people also mentioned about the static noise between the tracks so I assume many unit has this noise issue.

It is just not that obvious if you listen to non classic/acoustic music which is loud enough to cover the small noise through the entire track. When I listen to non-classic music the noise issue doesn’t bother me much.
It becomes most obvious when I listen to quiet piano sonatas. I can definitely hear small noise after the delicate piano sounds. When I switch the headphones to wired connection it disappears and it sounds much cleaner.

Sep 6, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #283 of 354
It becomes most obvious when I listen to quiet piano sonatas. I can definitely hear small noise after the delicate piano sounds. When I switch the headphones to wired connection it disappears and it sounds much cleaner.

Yes, I experienced the same. But there are versions of the dongle which are quiet even on these sonatas? Are you sure?

For those who never heard this noise, they should check out this piece:

You can also hear it pretty well on the bass intro of Massive Attacks "Angel".

Sep 8, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #284 of 354
Yes, I experienced the same. But there are versions of the dongle which are quiet even on these sonatas? Are you sure?

For those who never heard this noise, they should check out this piece:

You can also hear it pretty well on the bass intro of Massive Attacks "Angel".

When I received the replacement Bluemini it sounded better without almost any noise. Then it started deteriorated with more noise. It seems some unit has more problem than others.

Yes, I can definitely hear small static/white noise on Spiegel im Spiegel. Especially it becomes obvious when I listen to it with smaller volume of 30-40%. The noise becomes obvious on this type of quiet music and I love this type of music!!

When I asked for the replacement to Hifiman I explained the problem to the customer support but they didn't answer to my questions though they were happy to sent the replacement.

I wish Hifiman acknowledge the issue and fix the problems with firmware update if possible. Headphones itself sounds great but I bought it because of the wireless function. detachable Bluetooth unit is a great idea but definitely need fixing this noise problem... This product is meant to be for audio enthusiasts...

Sep 9, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #285 of 354
When I received the replacement Bluemini it sounded better without almost any noise. Then it started deteriorated with more noise. It seems some unit has more problem than others.

Yes, I can definitely hear small static/white noise on Spiegel im Spiegel. Especially it becomes obvious when I listen to it with smaller volume of 30-40%. The noise becomes obvious on this type of quiet music and I love this type of music!!

When I asked for the replacement to Hifiman I explained the problem to the customer support but they didn't answer to my questions though they were happy to sent the replacement.

I wish Hifiman acknowledge the issue and fix the problems with firmware update if possible. Headphones itself sounds great but I bought it because of the wireless function. detachable Bluetooth unit is a great idea but definitely need fixing this noise problem... This product is meant to be for audio enthusiasts...
It sounds like an amplifier implementation issue, but it is weird because I don't have (nor have read about) any such issues with the OG Bluemini (non R2R) with any volume level. Interesting that some of you have not only had this issue, but over multiple devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back