Detroit Meet Thread 2003-09-06
Sep 26, 2003 at 8:14 AM Post #61 of 76
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Yeah, whatever, just ban him already
wink.gif

[/size]We spoke on the telephone, and he agreed not to file suit.
wink.gif
Seriously, though, I want to thank btaki for getting these pics to me. He took them to a store to have them developed and put on a "Kodak Picture CD." Then he personally dropped the CD off at my house. Thanks again, btaki.

I also wanted to mention another surprise I recently had, related to the last Detroit Meet. I came home one day last week to find a package from Amazon.com -- and I wasn't expecting anything from Amazon.com. It was a gift from my friend arnett! Inside the package was the DVD ABBA Gold: Greatest Hits. Long story short, I teased arnett at the previous meet (the one hosted by Wadia) about his thing for ABBA, before I reluctantly admitted that I liked them, too.
tongue.gif

arnett, thanks very much, man, for this very kind and unexpected gift. I watched it once already with my wife, and I'm actually background-watching it while I work right now (and listening to it using FreeSystem xdream wireless headphones). I'm learning all sorts of new dance moves (not to mention wardrobe ideas) from this DVD, too!
wink.gif
You rock, man -- thanks again!

Sep 26, 2003 at 1:32 PM Post #62 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
. . . It was a gift from my friend arnett! Inside the package was the DVD ABBA Gold: Greatest Hits. . . I watched it once already with my wife, and I'm actually background-watching it while I work right now (and listening to it using FreeSystem xdream wireless headphones). I'm learning all sorts of new dance moves (not to mention wardrobe ideas) from this DVD, too!
wink.gif
You rock, man -- thanks again!

my pleasure, Jude. looks like you too have become an ABBA fanatic. next thing you know, you'll be posting on the forum at abbasite.com!
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2003 at 1:34 PM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
my pleasure, Jude. looks like you too have become an ABBA fanatic. next thing you know, you'll be posting on the forum at abbasite.com!
tongue.gif

But likely under a different name!!
biggrin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 26, 2003 at 1:43 PM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

But likely under a different name!!
biggrin.gif

Jude = Afternoon Delight

Call him Delight for short.

Sep 29, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #66 of 76
did anyone had a listen to the Ray Samuels new portable amp with the CD3000???

Oct 1, 2003 at 5:04 AM Post #67 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
did anyone had a listen to the Ray Samuels new portable amp with the CD3000???

Yes, I did, at length and can assure you it sounded outstanding. It is very, very close in sound quality to the HR2, and is a cinch to be the worlds best portable amp, IMO.
That and the CD3000's were exceptional together.

JC

Oct 1, 2003 at 7:19 AM Post #68 of 76
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
It is very, very close in sound quality to the HR2, and is a cinch to be the worlds best portable amp, IMO.

JC

Argh! No! I did not want to see that!
You're all EVIL.

Oct 3, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #69 of 76
but i guess nobody tried it with Ety's.. right?

Oct 3, 2003 at 1:13 PM Post #70 of 76
Quote:

but i guess nobody tried it with Ety's.. right?

I listened to the XP-7 in the prototype stage with my Etys and it sounded great during the short time I listened. Of course this was a brief listening session and on the prototype amp. I would expect the production version to sound a little better as all wiring is gone.

Oct 3, 2003 at 5:51 PM Post #71 of 76
i wonder if i should choose it on top of a PPA.
reports have said that the PPA is better then the emmeline.. but i don't know if i should trust that
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif

Oct 3, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #72 of 76
Quote:

i wonder if i should choose it on top of a PPA.
reports have said that the PPA is better then the emmeline.. but i don't know if i should trust that
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif

I would take anything that is said relative to these amps with a grain of salt. How many people own an XP-7 or the HR-2 for that matter? How many own a PPA and what is the exact configuration? People tend to make these off hand comments and in may cases they have never heard the equipment in question. I trust what they say about as much as if I had heard it from a talking parrot. I would say that before you rely on something someone says it would be good to verify the credibility of the source.

I have not heard a PPA yet so I will not make any comparisons.

Oct 3, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #73 of 76
well, from your impressions, would you consider the XP-7 a bang for the buck, at ~$700 including PS?
(that is, for an all around amp to own alone)

Oct 3, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #74 of 76
Quote:

well, from your impressions, would you consider the XP-7 a bang for the buck, at ~$700 including PS?
(that is, for an all around amp to own alone)

I would say it is going to be a great value. Unplug it from the power supply and you have a great sounding amp that plays for maybe 40 hours on 2 9V batteries. I have heard the prototype extensively and I am hard pressed to hear any differences between it and the HR-2. Here is a quote from another thread.

Quote:

Originally posted by jude
I had a chance to play a bit with this one at the last Detroit Meet, and I have a feeling this might end up being one of the best-selling higher-end headphone amps ever. Seriously, I think this one is a guaranteed home run, based on what headphone audiophiles seem willing to spend on an amp nowadays, the easy portability of this amp, and its sonic performance (from what I could tell from early impressions).

I haven't compared it head-to-head against a Cosmic Reference (my current standard for fidelity in a portable amp), but I can say with confidence that sonically it's playing in the Cosmic Reference's playground (no crossfeed, however). That it does this on two 9V batteries is the kicker.

One day, when I have the time, I'll get these two head-to-head to compare the sonic performance of these portable wonders.

Oct 3, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #75 of 76
I was fortunate to be able to spend quite a bit of time with the Cosmic Reference prior to the Detroit Meet (one of the perks of organizing it!
biggrin.gif
). It's an EXCELLENT amp...I may end up selling my old version MAX and buying one to replace it. I liked it that much.

I heard the X-P7 in battery mode at the meet, and it was amazing. I wish that I had taken the time to do a side by side, as I'm sure the results would have been most illuminating. I was VERY impressed, and I do agree with Jon and Jude's impressions that it's going to be a BIG hit once it reaches full production status.

The only thing that I'd like to have is crossfeed...this is very important to me in a portable (I use it at work, and often listen all day). There is always the Meier crossfeed, but that also adds cost and bulk. All things to consider.

Bottom line - IMHO, one could be very happy with either (yeah, I know...thank you Senator!!
rolleyes.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back