Detroit 8/7 Meet - Impressions
Aug 12, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by WadiaMeister
I will not forget the look on his wife's face when she walked through the front door and looked at the extension cords that snaked through two levels of her home, with every horizontal surface covered with equipment or a Head-Fier -- she smiled. Elrod-tom, you are truly blessed.

Thanks WadiaMeister...I guess I married well.
biggrin.gif

What surprised me is that she said that we're welcome to do it again. I thought once might be enough for her. She was most pleased with the way everyone cleaned up after themselves, which says a lot for the folks in attendance. Thanks fellas.
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
Official Head-Fi meet security team?
wink.gif

Amicalement

Yes, we'll come to your meet, and you only have to pay us in Hi-Fi equiptment.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, this was a great meet. Others have said, and I have to repeat, it was like a get-together with old friends. Tom did a wonderful job making everyone feel welcome in his home, and by the time everyone was packing up, I had hardly listened to any gear.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my PPA. My goal was to build the best PPA around, and although I thought I had, a little external validation never hurts, right?

Thanks again Tom for hosting, and say thanks to Mrs. Elrod for me too.

Aug 13, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by chosen1
Yes, we'll come to your meet, and you only have to pay us in Hi-Fi equiptment.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, this was a great meet. Others have said, and I have to repeat, it was like a get-together with old friends. Tom did a wonderful job making everyone feel welcome in his home, and by the time everyone was packing up, I had hardly listened to any gear.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my PPA. My goal was to build the best PPA around, and although I thought I had, a little external validation never hurts, right?

Thanks again Tom for hosting, and say thanks to Mrs. Elrod for me too.

A side note to this story is that we all fell in love with your amp before you ever took the cover off,so it's not like we were initially in awe over the parts content or build,it was the sound that had us all curious to see what was under the hood. This is how the great amps grab you. Great work dude.

Aug 13, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #49 of 60
[size=x-large]WARNING!! Dont mess with the official HeadFi Defense!!!
eek.gif
blink.gif
basshead.gif

[/size]

IMG_1868_adjusted_648wide.jpg

[size=large]All scrambling is safest when done in the general direction of your own goal!!!
600smile.gif

[/size]

[size=large]I thought I was on the team
frown.gif
mad.gif
rolleyes.gif
plainface.gif
[/size]

LOL

Aug 13, 2004 at 10:55 AM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
yeah esp the guy in the yellow shirt, oh I look skinny and weak but if you dare piss me off, to the jacuzzi with your gear!!!!!

Thats just some bloke from the offensive team trying to capture some glory for himself...some runner I think
plainface.gif

k1000smile.gif

Aug 13, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Thats just some bloke from the offensive team trying to capture some glory for himself...some runner I think
plainface.gif

My first thought was that the placekicker was trying to hang with the defensive front four.
wink.gif

[size=xx-small]Please don't hurt me...[/size]

Aug 13, 2004 at 6:26 PM Post #55 of 60
Here are more miscellaneous photos from the meet:

[align=center]
IMG_1868_adjusted_648wide.jpg

[size=xx-small]
(left to right) bhd812, elrod-tom, chosen1, Tuberoller, and Nightfall.[/size][/align]

I'm guessing that elrod-tom and Nightfall are drinking "Squirt".
Tuberoller is drinking a Coke.
Is chosen1 drinking a "Sams"?

Aug 13, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
I'm guessing that elrod-tom and Nightfall are drinking "Squirt".
Tuberoller is drinking a Coke.
Is chosen1 drinking a "Sams"?

A sponsorship nightmare!!
eek.gif

Must warn NFL
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2004 at 2:07 PM Post #59 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by WadiaMeister
I also brought a Voodoochile PPA, but I was not able to directly compare it to Chosen1's PPA. The most noticeable build difference was the attenuator Chosen1 built -- very sweet, and the silver wiring.

I agree with that assessment completely, and strongly suggest that anyone building a PPA use an attenuator. The Alps pot in this PPA was wired rather than soldered directly to the PCB with the intention of upgrading to a stepped attenuator in the future. It was built concurrently with another PPA that was identical- except the second one had the stepped attenuator installed, so it was a prime time for some A/B testing of my own. My conclusion is you should absolutely use the attenuator, and I'd rank the improvement up there with the diamond buffer.

Glad to see chosen1 has included one in his PPA, and I hope all who heard it found it enjoyable. My own PPA is very similar, including op-amp choice even, and I really like it quite a bit. The performance is remarkable relative to the outlay. I don't want this to come off as a defensive posture, but rather as a statement of my feelings on the PPA as an amp. It's a nice amp with the Alps, but the attenuator has a very significant impact on it's performance.

The meet looks like it was a particularly good one. Nice pics of the Head-Fi thugs! I would also agree with Wadiameister that Tom is blessed. I'd have imagine his wife coming home, taking a look around, and heading back out for the evening.
icon10.gif
Very nice catch, Tom.

Sep 1, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
IMG_1853_adjusted_648wide.jpg

In that SR-71 picture what converter did you use for the RCA -> mini? I'm interested in picking one up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back