Detroit 8/7 Meet - Impressions
Aug 10, 2004 at 12:40 PM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
the Stax SRM-007t has two "pro" headphone outputs (the left and middle one) and one "normal" headphone output (the right one) but as stated in the STAX product guide, plugging a "pro" device such as the SR-007 which accepts a 580V bias into a "normal" output that only outputs 230V of bias voltage may affect the performance of the can.

????????? really? I would have never known had you not taken the time to point that out to me
rolleyes.gif

Aug 10, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #32 of 60
easy Fred, I don't think anyone is pinning the "pro" jack debacle on you. I for one had no idea there was a difference. I didn't think to move the plug because I figured they had different termination styles based on what 'phone's being used. Anyway, the fact remains that both others and myself were not impressed. I'm looking forward to hearing canman's setup as a comparison. I'm not going so far as to say one is "proper" while the other isn't.

Aug 10, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #33 of 60
Regardless of what jack the Omega II was plugged into, I'm going to have to first remind people that opinions are like **********. Fred has most definitely heard a properly set up Omega II/KGSS (widely purported to sound better than the 007t), I can verify this as fact because I was there listening with him. I've said this before, but Fred's choice of wording to describe that particular setup, euphoric, was spot on. Listening to it was creamy smooth, rich, and detailed. I compared listening to the Stax set up to being on drugs, I could have just leaned back and listened for hours.But the Stealth/HD 650 seemed more natural, and somehow seemed to add another dimension to the sound--I can't explain that last aspect, you'd have to hear it for yourself. All these factors made the Stealth/Senn combo more enjoyable. These are, of course, my opinions. The Stax Mafia is more than welcome to love their setups, its a subjective opinion. But lets not start insulting someone's intelligence to justify our system choices
rolleyes.gif

Edit: P.S. Really wish I could've made that. When I'm back in Chicago, we need to havea big shin-dig.

Edit Part Deuce: Listening to him became listening with him.

Aug 11, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by cellophane
Hmm, it seems like the mainland meets all have*ahem* older guys attending. At our head-fi meet there were only young guys, one older guy (my dad) and one female (me). I can understand the one female part, but I wonder why the age demographic is shifted upwards over there.

I think the meets tend to take on the flavor of the host and this is a big reason we all have been attempting to encourage the younger guys to host meets. Ebonyks' meet had a bunch of younger guys and a lot of DIY gear. This was a direct product of a younger guy hosting the meet. I would love to attend a meet that was also attended by younger members. The Hawaii meet looked like a really good time and I once again encourage the younger members to host meets.

Aug 11, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #37 of 60
Looks like a fantastic meet! It also was the closest to me I'll probably ever see ... I should have braved the border crossing and gone.
biggrin.gif

Just wanted to say that Jude's pictures and write-up (with notes against each photo) really was well done. The pictures were some of best (clear, sharp, closeup, etc) I've seen so far for one of these events. It gives non-attendees a wonderful summary of the meet. Thanks Jude.

Now if I could just get one of those silver knobs (with the mark more visible) for my HR-2 so that I don't blow out my ears when switching between the Senn 600's and the Sony 3000's.
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #38 of 60
I would tend to agree that the meet takes on the flavor of those organizing it. Personally, I'd like to see a meet where we have a ton of DIY and computer audio stuff. I really enjoyed my (all too) quick listen to The_Mac's computer set up. I really think that there is a lot of promise coming our way from computer audio, and would like to know more about it. God knows I can't organize a meet like that.
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Sounds like you guys had a great time...I'm looking forward to jefemeister's comments when he hears a properly set up Omega 2 later this week. I have a "Pro" jack for my Omegas
wink.gif

BTW, do I have to work for Wadia to change my name to canmeister?

Yes, canmeister and all variants of *meister are trademarked, so don't think about it.

Where to begin? This was my second meet, the first was at the old Wadia facility in Ann Arbor, and this was infinitely more fun. Maybe it was because elrod-tom completely sacrificed his home (what was his wife thinking?) to make everyone comfortable, watered, and fed. I will not forget the look on his wife's face when she walked through the front door and looked at the extension cords that snaked through two levels of her home, with every horizontal surface covered with equipment or a Head-Fier -- she smiled. Elrod-tom, you are truly blessed.

It was a delight to meet the people who make up Head-Fi. At the high end of audio, there is a belief that our customer base is shrinking, due to age. MP3, portable devices, and headphone systems are very important to young people who are mobile and less affluent. I believe the headphone community is creating the next generation of audiophiles who will lust after the high end when they own the companies for which they now slave.

Once married and no longer as mobile, they will want and be able to afford high end systems, so I see Head-Fi as the future of audio.

I have a lot of impressions after the meet. Of course, listening is very limited at a meet, but it is the only way to try a wide range of products, some which are one-off or limited availability. However, there were several products that stood out and made me pay attention.

I wish I had been able to directly compare the Blockhead with Ray Samuels Stealth. Using different CD players and different headphones makes a meaningful comparison impossible, but each promised wonderful things. I found that Ray's Stealth kept bringing me back for more, and the vinyl rig with the Stealth and Ray's phono stage is absolutely addictive. I should have moved Ray's rig over to the Blockhead, but it was never free. Maybe next time.

A comment about Ray Samuels Audio is in order. Others have commented on Ray's personality, but I will say passionate pretty much defines it. More importantly, Ray is an engineer's engineer. I loved the thought that went into his designs. From the silk-screening of instructions on his PCBs, just in case you lose the manual, to the use of a PCB to eliminate wires on the back panel, to the perfectly formed leads on each resistor with each label perfectly aligned, there is much for an engineer to love. Even the execution of his enclosures, made from custom extrusions, straight line sanding, consistent anodizing, and perfect silk-screening, is impressive. In fact, I gave Ray my highest compliment, that it was Wadia-like in its execution. I have only used Wadia-like once before, for Pass Labs amplifiers.

I found myself wishing that we had Mikhail Rotenberg of Single Power with his products for a direct A-B comparison. Mikhail is another passionate engineer.

I also brought a Voodoochile PPA, but I was not able to directly compare it to Chosen1's PPA. The most noticeable build difference was the attenuator Chosen1 built -- very sweet, and the silver wiring. I will be making some mods to my PPA as soon as the parts arrive.

Having Tuberoller at the meets is a real pleasure and I realize how long a drive it is for him, with Ray. Between Ray and Tuberoller, my jaws hurt from laughing all afternoon. I did not realize that Fred was Tuberoller until this meet, but after seeing his Avatar, I may understand, even the need for speed. Semper-Fi Tuberoller (Marines and Navy 1968 to 1981).

I am looking forward to the next meet and hope that we can soon hold it at the new Wadia facility.

Aug 12, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #41 of 60
Jim,

I think you and I talked at the meet at the old facility about the Corps and Navy. I was a speed freak long before I enlisted but that did'nt help any. It's always fun talking with you and I won't miss any meet held at Wadia,ever.

I give Ray a hard time but he's such a good man and great friend. He may be easy to get worked up but he does'nt have a mean bone in his body. If he had a little bit thicker skin,I would'nt enjoy messing with him so much. What sometimes sounds like arrogance coming from Ray is simply great pride in what he does and how he does it. I had a bit of a hard time getting a grip on the way Ray does things when I first met him but I now see how much he loves this and what it really means to him. Ray is my buddy but I won't let that go to his head nor will I allow all your positive comments about his work get his ego going full blast.

Aug 12, 2004 at 1:05 PM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by cellophane
Hmm, it seems like the mainland meets all have*ahem* older guys attending.

Hey, I resemble that remark
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
!

Aug 12, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Jim,

I give Ray a hard time but he's such a good man and great friend. He may be easy to get worked up but he does'nt have a mean bone in his body. If he had a little bit thicker skin,I would'nt enjoy messing with him so much. What sometimes sounds like arrogance coming from Ray is simply great pride in what he does and how he does it. I had a bit of a hard time getting a grip on the way Ray does things when I first met him but I now see how much he loves this and what it really means to him. Ray is my buddy but I won't let that go to his head nor will I allow all your positive comments about his work get his ego going full blast.

Fred,

After the grief you gave us for kissing Todd's butt, sounds like you should start a Ray Samuels butt-kiss thread!

[size=xx-small]BTW - Ditto what Fred said.[/size]
biggrin.gif

Regards - reynman

Aug 12, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
Fred,

After the grief you gave us for kissing Todd's butt, sounds like you should start a Ray Samuels butt-kiss thread!

[size=xx-small]BTW - Ditto what Fred said.[/size]
biggrin.gif

Regards - reynman

OK,

As much as I razz Ray,he deserves a butt kiss every once in a while. I guess if he did'nt get bent out of shape so easily it would'nt be as much fun,but he takes it like a good sport most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back