Detroit 8/7 Meet - Impressions
Aug 7, 2004 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Well, the meet is going strong right now, and we're having a great time. It seems like everyone is doing as much talking as listening, which is one of the things that I always like about these meets.

So far the hit of the meet has been Ray Samuels' XR-71 "portable" amp. I thought that the XP-7 was an amazing product, but this tiny portable really kicks some serious butt!! The Wadia 302 is also one of the favorites, and a big thanks to the good folks at Wadia for providing it.

More (much more) impressions later...I need to get back to gabbing and listening.
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 60
Some direct comparisons between the Wadia 301 and 302 would be great if possible. Have fun.
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 60
Patrickhat2001,

I have both the SR71 and XP7 (797). I did a little comparo with my DEJ2000/AKG271S. I listened to Dianna Krall's Temptaion a few times on both amps. IMHO the XP7s bass sounds a bit more refined - better depth, the notes were a bit more viseceral. Other than that, pretty much the same sound. Does that mean the SR71 is inferior? No, it just sounds different to me. Why do I have both? I am a head-fier damn it! Seriously, I purchased the XP7 as a home amp and its only left the Meridian 507 a few times. If I didn't own the XP7, I wouldn't mind the SR71 being hooked up to the Meridian.

I've used a few amps in my commuter rig (TA, CHA47, META42, SuperMicro), hands down the SR71 betters all of them. The price of the SR71 and the XP7 may not be for everyone - it is expensive, but I have no regrets with either purchase.

If Apple could increase the battery life of the iPod, then I'd be closer to portable audio nirvana.

Regards - reynman

Aug 8, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 60
Well, what a day this has been!! It started out pretty early, with Tuberoller and Ray Samuels arriving at 9:30 AM!! By the time the last guest arrived, we basically packed every single square inch of the first floor of my house with gear and power cords! Thankfully, we had a nice day, and many a Head-Fi'er found his way outside to chat about life and such.

I wanted to send out a special thanks to HeadRoom, who provided some very nice gear for our meet. This was an especially nice treat, as the gear in question was equiped with their new premium electronics module. I spent a couple of days prior to the meet listening to the new HeadRoom Max, and I have to tell you that I like it a lot. I would describe the new sound as being slightly more forward than other HeadRoom gear I've heard, but without sounding harsh. The bass was nice and tight, and with good extension. The treble was rich and smooth. The midrange is what really makes a great amp great, and this is where I've always thought that HeadRoom excels. The new module did not disappoint in this regard.

As usual, the BlockHead was a tremendous hit. We were fortunate enough to have one with stepped attenuators, and I'll tell you that it's a nice feature with this particular amp!! The BlockHead is still the only amp that I've heard that quite manages to really bring sound staging to life. If one closes one's eyes, it's almost like being there. One of my favorite qualities about HeadRoom amps is that they just seem to fade into the background, and all that you have left is the music. The BlockHead never seems to disappoint in this way.

Of course, it always helps to have a good source to pair with the BlockHead. This time we had it connected to a Meridian G08 and a Wadia 302. I like both of these players a lot, and could certainly make due with either. I'm a big fan of the Wadia signature sound (high level of detail and soundstaging, without added high-end harshness), and they really did right when they updated from the 301 to the 302. Don't get me wrong...I liked the 301 a lot. The 302 to me seems more musical, less analytical, and just nicely more refined. The G08 was a nice box, but it seemed less forward in its presentation than the Wadia. My taste runs more to the Wadia signature, but I can see why so many are such Meridian fans.

As has been the case for the last few Detroit meets, we had Ray Samuels and his fine equipment to enjoy. For those who have not met Ray, he's a genuinely good fellow, and has one of the better senses of humor around. I can't imagine what he and Tuberoller must be like on the road trip in to these meets. Ray brought along a very nice selection of gear, including the Stealth, HR-2, XP-7, a very nice vinyl rig (with his phono stage), and what I think is destined to be a killer product - the SR-71 portable headphone amp. This little jewel was first introduced to me at the Chicago meet, and I can't say enough good things about it. It's the only truly portable amp that I've heard that is good enough to power a home source with little or no compromise. It's really that good. If the HD players keep improving on their sound, the XR-71 will be ready to take it to the next level.

Another special thanks goes out to Tuberoller, who is a one man meet with all the gear that he brings along. This time, in addition to the sweet Meridian player, we were treated to the Stax Omega II and Music Hall Maverick SACD player. I have to admit that I really liked the Stax when I heard it in Chicago. I have a feeling that it might not be the best gear to evaluate in a crowded meet setting, however, as it is very open. I listened to it here, earlier on, in a quiet room, with some music that I know very well (Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson). This time, although it sounded very good, I'm not sure sure that it sounded very right. The presentation of different instruments seemed out of balance. The piano seemed recessed into the background, while other instruments seemed more pronounced. Overall, my feelings are mixed with regard to the Stax Omega II, but I can see why it has so many fans.

As for the Music Hall Maverick, I liked it a LOT as a redbook player. However, I was not so crazy about it as an SACD player. Go figure?

I really enjoyed having an opportunity to listen to jmzzz01's tubed Dynaco tuner. I'd pretty much written off FM radio, as most of the tuners that I'd heard lately were not so great. This one, however, was quite different. The music seemed to have a fluidity and life that I'd not associated with FM radio in the days since I became an audiophile (er...stereo wierdo
biggrin.gif
). It was a nice addition to the meet, and I'm glad to have had an opportunity to give it a listen.

One of the nice things about organizing a meet is that you get a chance to audition a lot of gear in non-meet settings. Such was the case this time around as well. I completely recabled my home rig to accommodate (through loop outs) my ASL MG-Head OTL/32, the new HeadRoom Max, and reynman's Eddie Current HD300. I spent a lot of time listening to all of them over the course of the week, and will post more detailed impressions as time allows. However, I liked the Eddie Current a lot. It's a very sweet, tubey sounding amp, and a nice value to boot. My one complaint is that it seemed VERY sensitive to movement while listening, but other than that I was very much impressed. Thanks reynman for offering to let me take it to the Detroit meet, and thanks to bhd812 for ensuring its safe return to Chicago.

I'm also pleased to have had an opportunity to listen to chosen1's PPA. This is without question the best DIY effort that I've heard yet. I'd heard a PPA at one of the Chicago meets, and ended up buying an XP-7. I thought it was nice, but a bit dry and uninvolving. Not so with this one. Clearly, chosen1 has put a lot of effort into making this piece, as I suspect that photos will show (whenever they are up). All I could say was WOW!! A very nice finished product. I also enjoyed (once I figured out how to use it) his NEC CD-Rom drive and his Parasound DAC. An interesting combination that yielded some nice results. Jude then hooked up his Bel Canto DAC2 to the uber-PPA, and I was frankly stunned at just how good it sounded. Thanks to chosen1 for bringing his fine PPA.

I finally had a chance to listen to the Grace 901, thanks to WadiaMeister. This is a nice amp, with good tight bass and nice detailed presentation without sounding overly analytical. It does pick up every little resolved detail, however. I suspect that this might have been one of the reasons that I wasn't so crazy about the Music Hall Maverick as an SACD player. However, I did like it a great deal with the Wadia 302, which is a very resolved CD player, so maybe that's not the reason. I listened to it with both my AKG K501's and with bhd812's Grado PS-1's. The K501's sounded good, but the Grace 901 is practically made for the PS-1's. Nice, big, open, out-front presentation, with realism in the bass and crisp clean highs without harshness. A nice combo. It's too bad that I didn't get a chance to listen to it with the AKG K1000 (no adapter plug), or use it as a DAC, so I can't offer much opinion about that. However, it's a nice amp. I suspect that if one has a need for the built-in DAC, it's an especially good value.

I also wanted to thank The_Mac, who burned some tracks from a couple of my favorite CD's so that I could listen to them on his computer rig. It sounded quite nice, and the fact that he could do so well with a relatively modest (per his description...I really know very little about these things
redface.gif
) soundcard tells me a lot about where computer audio is going in the short run. The_Mac also brought his friend Ben to the meet, and he seemed to have a good time (although I almost threw him out after a couple of particularly bad jokes/puns
wink.gif
).

As usual, there was some gear that I was unable to get around to listening to. It seemed like we spent a lot of time talking at these meets. I know that I really enjoyed meeting a couple of the new folks, and getting reacquainted with some of the fellas that I'd not seen in some time. There were wide ranging topics discussed, from various audio-related things to Jude's new baby to driving cars to Ray Samuels' wife chewing out a service station owner (both speaking Polish!!) for leaving "inappopriate" magazines in plain view of children. It really was a riot, and I want to thank all the folks who came and made the meet such a nice event. A special thanks to the folks who drove from Chicago (Ray Samuels, Tuberoller, bhd812) and the west side of the state (babykenny). Oh, and a big merci beaucoup to our Canadian contingent (The_Mac and his friend Ben), who (along with Ray Samuels' talk of his trip to Poland) made our meet a truly international event to remember.
biggrin.gif

I also want to thank my wife, who helped to get everything all set up, and kept my children entertained all day while we had our meet. She also didn't flip out when she discovered that every square inch of available space was taken up with gear!! What can I say...I married well.
biggrin.gif

Oh, and by the way...Mrs. Elrod had some very nice things to say about the mongol horde that took over our house for the afternoon. She said that you were all polite, considerate, didn't trash our house or spill drinks all over the place (I think that the only person who did spill a drink all day was me
redface.gif
), didn't overstay their welcome, and cleaned up after themselves. I told her that she just didn't know you all as well as I did
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Seriously, she says that we're welcome to have a meet at my house any time we like...although, given the relatively modest size of my house, I think that an outdoor escape hatch is crucial...I'm thinking late spring, summer and early fall for this place.
biggrin.gif

Thanks again everyone...I had a great time, and I hope that you all did as well. See you at the next meet!!

Aug 8, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 60
Reynman,

Thanks for the comparision!
biggrin.gif

I'm pretty much convinced that I should go with the XP-7 now just because I want an amp with RCA inputs. A little a larger size doesn't matter much to me.

Whoot! I can't wait to take my first spin with one of Ray Samuels' amps!!

Aug 8, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 60
What a great time - spending a beautiful michigan summer afternoon listening to an abundance of top-notch equipment and enjoying the company of others that share this somewhat esoteric hobby.

On behalf of all of us in attendance, I want to thank Tom and the entire "Family Elrod" from the bottom of my heart for being gracious enough to organize and host the event in their home, and allowing a "headphone unknown" to attend. A special hats-off to Mrs. Elrod for allowing virtually every square inch of flat surface to be covered with electronic components, headphones, CDs, and cables of every sort.
eek.gif
To call her understanding would be a complete understatement.

It was truly a learning experience for me - my first headphone meet - and an opportunity to try out different amps, both tube and ss, in my quest to find the "right one for me". There were so many units available for trial, I think there were more rigs than people, which meant not having to wait long to try a particular piece, and enough headphones to decorate a Christmas tree. The knowledge I gained from talking to the others was priceless - No audio store experience would have come close.

I can't wait for the next one now...

Aug 8, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 60
wow I just got home, the drive was awesome. Tuberoller "let" me follow him so it was a easy sail for me.

thank you tom and Family for your house and you time, it was so great to sit and talk with all of you fine people again.

well I have to unload the gear from the TT now so I'll post my impressions and more thanx laters..lol

wow the computer seat doesnt have road hum..lol

Aug 8, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 60
I'm completely wiped out so this will be short until later.

A big thanks to Tom and Family for a really great time. You made your house ours for a few hours and it takes a generous person to do this. This was a fun meet and I really enjoyed myself a lot. the gear was great but the friends old and new were even better.

It was good to see Jude,Tom,all the Jeffs,Jim Anderson(a really,really nice guy),Ken and all the guys I always forget to say hi and thanks to.

There was some great gear there and I enjoyed it all. I listened to some things that were a real eye-opener. I'll forgive Tom for being deaf cause it was his house and his meet
biggrin.gif

Chosen1's crazy PPA was the only PPA that I've heard that I really liked. He just killed this thing and it sounded amazing. This is so far the nicest DIY effort I have yet seen,in terms of build,sound and execution. He did an amazing job of building what I have always considered a somewhat average sounding amp. His PPA retains the overall flavor of every other PPA I've heard but his is the most silent and clearly the most resolute. I saw many folks taking pics of this killer PPA and hopefully some of the better ones will be posted in this thread.

I liked the Wadia 302 again but I've kinda grown away from the sound a bit. I think the 302 is an outstanding player but I have become so accustomed to my Meridian and the very "analog" sound that perhaps I am now incapable of forming a clear opinion about the 302 without an audition.

I'm sure you already know what i think of the Blockhead so I won't do that to you folks again,but I love it and it's awesome
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif

I told you guys the SR-71 was the S**t! I might be an a**hole but I'm not a liar.

Ray was a good boy on this trip and I'm tired but not worn out.

There were'nt as many Stax lovers as at the Chicago meet and I'm fine with that. At least some of the folks in Detroit can hear.
biggrin.gif

more later:

Aug 8, 2004 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 60
Sounds like a terrific meet, guys. Glad the weather was nice so you could spread out a bit.

Very interesting remarks re: Wadia 302/Meridian G08 impressions, and the new HeadRoom module. Also sounds like Ray's little SR-71 is the real deal, and a no brainer for a first class portable rig.

Thanks for the entertaining thread, and keep ths comments flowing. Let's see some pic's, too.

Aug 9, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 60
Here's the pictures I took of the meet. I'll add descriptions and post other impressions in the near future.

Ray Samuel's The Stealth power supply interior:
PICT0501s.jpg

The Stealth interior:
PICT0502s.jpg

Nightfall's Arcam/Little MP/600 setup:
PICT0503s.jpg

My DV47a/Wadia 12/Home/580 setup:
PICT0504s.jpg

Tuberoller's G08/007t/Omega II setup plus the Blockhead:
PICT0505s.jpg

NAD/Home setup:
PICT0506s.jpg

WadiaMeister's Wadia 302/HR-2/Grace 901/Senn 650 setup plus the MMF Maverick:
PICT0507s.jpg

WadiaMeister's 555es (note the unusual gold finish)/PPA setup:
PICT0508s.jpg

Elrod-Tom's DV47ai/Eddie Current HD300/ASL/AKG setup:
PICT0509s.jpg

Chosen1's NEC/Parasound/PPA setup:
PICT0510s.jpg

Ray's table:
PICT0511s.jpg

Aug 9, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 60
Nice pictures Jeff...thanks.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 60
I had a dream about the fresh concrete on Tom's street. I dreamt that I did a big smokey burnout,leaving tire tracks 200 feet long. I would'nt be able to resist if I lived on that street.

This was such a fun meet and was far more social than gear driven. There were some fun comparisons between the Wadia 302 and Meridian 588 and some others that I watched and participated in. I listened a bit but mainly talked it up with some of the really cool head-fiers from the Detriot area and Canada. Ray was a bunch of laughs as usual and everybody kinda got a taste of our roadtrip conversations.

It was nice talking about all kinds of stuff with guys that you have somethings in common with though Jude and I did'nt talk much. Tom was busy being host and we did'nt say much either. I only took a few pics,mostly of Chosen1's killer PPA but I'll post them when I get my bearings back,likely tomorrow.

Aug 9, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #15 of 60
Thanks for a great meet Tom. I had a blast as always. The pizza and beverages were appreciated as well. I didn't listen to things as much as I should have but that's usually the case with these things. Of course I did listen just enough to set me a-upgrading.

I really spent a lot of time with the G08 since it's been such a big item lately. I have to say that it is an excellent player sonically. I'd have to get one into a stereo rig to really form an opinion. The display is very nice. The chassis isn't necessarily my style (is there a black ver?), but it is well done and sharp. The track buttons are a little odd. You have to press play after you search through tracks to avoid a 5 second-ish delay, or press play by itself to increase by one track immediately. It's nice if you know exactly what track you're going to because the original song continues to play as you search. But if you're hunting on an unknown disc it sucks. I hated it at first but really kind of enjoyed it later.

Ray spent a fair amount of time making a Meridian 588 vs. Wadia 302 comparison for everyone. Both were ran into The Stealth on the same MIT interconnects and 2 copies of the same disc were cued up together. Volume was matched by adjusting the 302's gain switches and digital volume. Volume was finally set at 92 ("loss" of the first bit won't occur until 87). One of the major findings was that one of the units was running either fast or slow. With the Wadia's reclocking technique and presicion temperature-compensated oscillator, I stake my money on the Meridian despite Ray's insistence otherwise. Of course, it's my player vs. his. In the end the general opinion was that they were very close. The Meridian was deemed a little brighter but there was some question as to whether it was rightly so. I'll let other's tell their side, but I also felt the 302 gave more of a soundstage and wasa little more resolving especially in the lower midrange. The comparison disc didn't have enough true bass for worthwhile analysis of that.

WadiaMeister and I spoke with Ray for a long time about his amps. He took off all the covers. Build quality is top notch and you can tell Ray rightly takes a lot of pride in his work. They all sound gorgeous and share a similar house sound. I especially enjoyed listening to the Planar 3 through Rays phono stage and HR-2. I listened to a whole side of a Stevie Ray Vaughan album with a wide cheesecake smile. I've been trying to put off vinyl but don't think I can resist too much longer. I'm not worried about buying the equipment too much, I'm more concerned about getting that crazy "vinyl enthusiast" disease. I was looking forward to comparing the HR-2 to the PPX3 or MPX3 but SinglePower was not represented. I liked the SR-71 a lot. It may be just a little sloppy in the bass but what do you want for a true portable? Cost wise, the XP-7 makes a lot more sense--especially if you go without the optional power supply. As a side note, Tuberoller made me really hungry by talking about how well Ray's wife can cook it up. Of course, Fred and Ray had us all dying from their stories too.

I spent a lot of time comparing my stock Senn 580s to 600s w/ cardas to stock 650s. They all sound very similar. I could be happy with just the 580s, but the higher models are without a doubt nicer. the 600s have a much more open feel and provide a better soundstaging. I noticed more resolution in the bass as well. The 650s added on that a little more detail throughout the freq range. It was nice that the 650s were stock cabled--I probably wouldn't spring for 650s AND a cable.

I then tried the PS-1. That blew me away. Too expensive for me to justify though given everything else on my "to buy" list. I briefly tried the Omega IIs on a 007t and G08 and wasn't impressed. I'll get to tryout Canman's setup which is exactly the same save Cardas interconnect instead if DiMazario and a KGSS instead of the 007. I'll try to remember to post my impression of that setup. I know the Omega II was some serious warm-up issues that might have been at play.

I listened to both chosen1's (self-built) and WadiaMeister's (by voodoochile) PPAs. chosen1's was a lot nicer although there was nothing particularly off with the other. Chosen1's had a really nice sense of pace to it. This isn't meant as a comparison since they were in two completely different setups. I heard it said repeatedly that this was, sonically, the best PPA ever and was very nicely built as well. Personally, these are the only 2 examples I've heard so I can't say much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back