Dethonray Tender I - Earphones
Apr 4, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #76 of 102
My full video review on the DTR1+ Prelude Music Player and Tender 1 IEMs from Dethonray, sold & supported by Linsoul Audio is live now!!

Boutique Products are a huge reason why we have access to some special products, those two being pretty interesting, limited run units, a traditional music player, but with a superb sound, and the planar magnetic IEMS designed for it

I hope my review is fun to watch, helps you kickstart the week with a smile, and that it will motivate you to subscribe to Audiophile-Heaven

Apr 4, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #77 of 102
After 1 month waiting i got yesterday my Tender. Now i will them burn in for 150-200 hours. After 20 hours burn in i hear some minutes.
Fantastic !!!

How are you getting along with the burn in? :)

I finally got my DTR1+ and its synergy with the Tender is indeed awesome. I’m this close to calling the pairing mandatory. Incredible power, dynamics, transparency, separation, layering, control with everything I tried with it - and then the Tender took it to the next level. Can’t believe all this is coming out of a single-ended output.

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #78 of 102
Nov 14, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #79 of 102
I have just ordered a set of Dethonray Tender 1after all the good reviews and comments here.

I also ordered a GUCraftsman 4.4mm silver cable so I can run them balanced off compatible gear.

I have iFi Diablo, Gryphon, Go Bar and an original Mojo.

What are recommended pairings with the above, I understand they are power hungry but can't imagine they NEED the Diablo power.

Looking forward to a more premium planar experience, I am liking the S12 in the meantime.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #80 of 102
I have just ordered a set of Dethonray Tender 1after all the good reviews and comments here.

I also ordered a GUCraftsman 4.4mm silver cable so I can run them balanced off compatible gear.

I have iFi Diablo, Gryphon, Go Bar and an original Mojo.

What are recommended pairings with the above, I understand they are power hungry but can't imagine they NEED the Diablo power.

Looking forward to a more premium planar experience, I am liking the S12 in the meantime.
They need power but the Diablo probably is too much.😅 My favourite pairing is with the DTR1+. The Tender I was designed with this DAP in mind, so synergy is fantastic.

Nov 16, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #81 of 102
They need power but the Diablo probably is too much.😅 My favourite pairing is with the DTR1+. The Tender I was designed with this DAP in mind, so synergy is fantastic.

Thank you.

I am guessing by the specs and my experience with other IEM and headphones that Mojo and Gryphon would be sufficient. I don't want to spend money on another source so the DTR1+ is off the table for me.

I got a bit lucky with my Diablo and it has no channel imbalance even with much more sensitive IEM. For desktop use it should be easily manageable even if not strictly needed.

I can't audition them before buying but all the descriptions if the sound are very favorable for my preferences.

I will report back when I have them in hand and had a listen.

Nov 16, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #82 of 102
Thank you.

I am guessing by the specs and my experience with other IEM and headphones that Mojo and Gryphon would be sufficient. I don't want to spend money on another source so the DTR1+ is off the table for me.

I got a bit lucky with my Diablo and it has no channel imbalance even with much more sensitive IEM. For desktop use it should be easily manageable even if not strictly needed.

I can't audition them before buying but all the descriptions if the sound are very favorable for my preferences.

I will report back when I have them in hand and had a listen.
Mojo will be more than sufficient but the Tender I escalates pretty well with power.

Nov 16, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #83 of 102

Mojo will be more than sufficient but the Tender I escalates pretty well with power.

I listen to them on my SMSL M400/SP400 stack - in balanced mode can dish out 12W into a 16Ω load and 440mW into a 600Ω load. Tender 1 takes the power like a champ, the Diablo will be fine.

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #84 of 102
I got my Tender 1s.

You are not joking they need power !

I am listening on Diablo, standard gain at noon on the pot, only moderately loud ….. out of the 4.4mm balanced !

I have tried a few tips and they seem sensitive to tip specifics. Seems Final Audio Type E are the best so far. Any recommendations on tips ? I know it is very personal in terms of fit but is there generally a certain style suits, wide bore, narrow, foams ?

They sound good but I had been listening to Shanling ME700 for a few hours before and the bass does initially sound a bit thin on the Tender, vocals quite forward and a marginal metallic hollow sound. I think some of it is the better technical aspect that make the sound more open and airy than I am used to.

I did read that they do genuinely benefit from a couple of days burn in, I will leave them running overnight.

As I type and get used to the sound for a few minutes not paying attention I am liking them more and more only a half hour in !

Nov 23, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #85 of 102
I got my Tender 1s.

You are not joking they need power !

I am listening on Diablo, standard gain at noon on the pot, only moderately loud ….. out of the 4.4mm balanced !

I have tried a few tips and they seem sensitive to tip specifics. Seems Final Audio Type E are the best so far. Any recommendations on tips ? I know it is very personal in terms of fit but is there generally a certain style suits, wide bore, narrow, foams ?

They sound good but I had been listening to Shanling ME700 for a few hours before and the bass does initially sound a bit thin on the Tender, vocals quite forward and a marginal metallic hollow sound. I think some of it is the better technical aspect that make the sound more open and airy than I am used to.

I did read that they do genuinely benefit from a couple of days burn in, I will leave them running overnight.

As I type and get used to the sound for a few minutes not paying attention I am liking them more and more only a half hour in !
with Final Type E in Tender1s before, and I prefer type E to any other tips. Because the bass of planar in IEMs is not enough, I think type E will provide some more bass to me.

And it does need a lot of power, so you need to drive it with a powerful dap, I use dtr1+ and MacBook Pro14.2, now SG1.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #86 of 102
A bit of tip experimentation, popped on some no name silicone “Balanced” tips that came with my Shanling ME700 and BOOM, there’s the bass and better overall tonal balance.

Spinfit were awful !

I have never experienced such huge sensitivity to tips. The Porta.Fi video review talks about that but I assumed it was being a bit overstated but it most certainly isn’t !

Man they sound good on the Diablo now !

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #87 of 102
The Tender I will need 40h of burn in and they need power. I use the provided tips or Azla Xelastec.

Nov 24, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #88 of 102
The Tender I will need 40h of burn in and they need power. I use the provided tips or Azla Xelastec.
I think you are wrong. Mr. Anson told Tender 1 needs minimum 150 hours 😂😂😂 But the Azla Xelastec for me also the best. But anyway i will let go my Tender 1. Burn in time is 150 hours and used play time around 20 hours only. Same new. I have changed the plug to 4,4 mm. If anybody is interested send me one p. m. here. I shipping worldwide.

Attachments

• 20221124_103228.jpg
    20221124_103228.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221124_103439.jpg
    20221124_103439.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221124_103507.jpg
    20221124_103507.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221124_103550.jpg
    20221124_103550.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #89 of 102
For the moment I have settled on the wide bore black silicon tips that came with the Tenders. I have ordered the Azla Xelastec, they look dimensionally similar to the ones that are working best for me so far, that is short and wide bore.

The factory cable is beautiful but for my gear a 4.4mm is a better choice so I put a GUCraftsman silver 4.4mm cable on the Tender. The stock cable makes a beautiful set up for my Shanling ME700 which are much more sensitive and with my gear are more appropriately driven out of the 3.5mm or 1/4 inch with an adapter.

I ran the Tender off my iFi Gryphon all day today, the Gryphon needs to be wound up a bit but manages well, sounds good and the XBass can be used to good effect with some music.

Loving the Tender 1, with the right tips the bass is sublime, beautifully controlled and nuanced and the overall tonality is beautiful. On certain music with plenty of deep bass the bass reproduction of the Tender 1 make my Shanling ME700 and Letshuoer S12 sound very much like a one note monotone drone.

However, with the wrong tips the Tender 1 sound like absolute garbage. I can understand if somebody was to give up on these if they didn't luck onto a decent set up early on. The factory supplied foam tips and Campfire Audio marshmallow foams sounds absolutely appalling, literally no bass at all and a thin hollow mess, at least for me.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #90 of 102
I am not a believer in burn in but I figured I would do it with the Tender 1 since I have seen several comments that they really do change.

I ran them for around 75 hours at loud listening volume including a 12 hour stint on the Diablo at well above listening level, like all I could stand for a few seconds, MacBook to Diablo at 3pm on Standard gain. I picked a really busy bass heavy song on repeat.

I listened on and off, generally morning and night and I swear after about 50 hours they had changed. The bass seemed equally impactful and precise but seemed to dig deeper where before it was just a bit light sounding. I compared to another IEM that I know well that has more bass and I am sure the difference has closed right up.

The Tender 1 sound good on the Diablo but I think I might prefer them on the Mojo. I don’t usually hear obvious differences from amplification but the Tender 1 seem more source dependent than anything I have experienced before. Diablo is clear, precise and punchy but perhaps just a touch analytical while the Mojo seems to bring just a little warmth to the sound.

Gryphon is nice also and XBass is nice to have on some tracks.

Mojo and Gryphon do certainly need to be pushed a good bit harder than Diablo, Mojo was on double dark blue to be loud which is about where Dan Clark Aeon are.

69A9F121-F69E-4873-A146-71F56460D613.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back