Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Jul 22, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #526 of 2,316
My beauty case is ready for holidays at baltic sea :)
IMG_20190722_141052.jpg

Jul 25, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #529 of 2,316
Can't wait to give this unit a spin. I find the design philosophy so compelling. Trim all the fat and do the core function better than anything remotely close to it in terms of value.

They raised the price on Penon Audio :xf_eek: ... still worth it though.

Jul 25, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #530 of 2,316
Can't wait to give this unit a spin. I find the design philosophy so compelling. Trim all the fat and do the core function better than anything remotely close to it in terms of value.

They raised the price on Penon Audio :xf_eek: ... still worth it though.
USD 19.- more than before if not mistaken. Nothing bad :) Even at USD 1000.-, I would buy the DTR1 once again ! Yes, it's that good!

Jul 26, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #532 of 2,316
Don‘t speak that out loud again or you wish may come true (or even worse, when their next player is 2k or so ... let’s hope not)
The founder of Dethonray followed a very specific path in the audio world. He actually started his own company in order to offer a different product philosophy to the community. If generating profit through his activity is more than normal, I am not sure that getting rich or applying ridiculous margin is the way Anson is aiming at. He could confirm or not, but after several contacts with him, I don't see a change in that stance coming. I seriously doubt that the next player will be 2x (or more) than the DTR1. Maybe there is no need for another DAP, there will be no need for a replacement before years. Or he could show us what he can do with other kinds of products, like a DAC, a portable AMP or a combo of both. That would be great! For the moment, Anson is busy enough with the DTR1 and the new case for it.

Jul 26, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #536 of 2,316
That‘s what I‘m talking about. We just need another 10 posts like this one and the next player will cost indeed twice and so on and so on.
2x sound quality for 2x price! I hope now we shouldn't mind that!
Anyways Anson knows what he's doing.. He knows exactly how other flagship players are priced and sound. I don't think our posts here will spark his mind to increase the price. Atleast talking to him doesn't feel like that.
Still we won't be talking about this anymore.
Let's get back to dtr1 talks except price!

Jul 26, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #537 of 2,316
Jul 26, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #538 of 2,316
If anything the posts about the player being worth more than its asking price only confirm Anson's vision has played out well. He should be proud of that and continue with this biz model. Getting into the high end pricing game forfeits his differentiating factor: price. It seems 2k is now part for the course. And that's sad.

He is savvy and understands how to capture market share as he shrewly grins at cayin and AK.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #539 of 2,316
Well, I sure am glad I grabbed one before the $20/week price increases come into effect...

But seriously, this is some good stuff. I'm sure FW will improve with updates, but I really need some form of button locking.
Sound-wise its fantastic and I love how versatile it is. I am able to use super sensitive multi-BA and planar IEMs without any hassles and they both sound fantastic. I have yet to try my power hungry R70X with them, but I'm sure it can handle it. Not super convinced with the filters yet, still need to try them more.
Also how fast it scans SD cards is crazy, does my 400gb card in like 5 seconds.

Jul 26, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #540 of 2,316
Well, I sure am glad I grabbed one before the $20/week price increases come into effect...

But seriously, this is some good stuff. I'm sure FW will improve with updates, but I really need some form of button locking.

button locking was added in a recent firmware, but already weeks ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back