Determining the greatest headphone of all time, with poll
May 3, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #31 of 44
split between ESW10 and 4070 probably, but favourite at the moment: 4070

May 4, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #32 of 44
Why don't you petition Head-Fi to start a Headphone Hall of Fame. In the yearly ballot you would need to get a certain percentage of the members votes to be elected and the class would be limited to a certain number per year (results announced at the end). Headphones from all walks of life could be honored, e.g., firsts, expanded technical boundaries, highest audiophile quality, bang for the buck, etc. Then the endless debates could continue forever.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 4, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #33 of 44
I voted for other because my current "Favorite" is the Heaudio Jades but Wayne is right when you get into truly great headphones it becomes a matter of mood rather than which is better or favorite.

The only headphones listed that I haven't heard are the Edition 8's and the HiiMan HE-5LE's and since the 9's weren't my cup of tea I'd expect the 8's to be the same. I've ordered the HE-5LE's based upon the performance of the 5's, so they might become one of my favorites.

A poll like this ends up being a poll of what people own, not what they would choose to own if they had their druthers.

which reminds me: What are druthers? and why would we want them?

May 4, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I voted for other because my current "Favorite" is the Heaudio Jades but Wayne is right when you get into truly great headphones it becomes a matter of mood rather than which is better or favorite.

The only headphones listed that I haven't heard are the Edition 8's and the HiiMan HE-5LE's and since the 9's weren't my cup of tea I'd expect the 8's to be the same. I've ordered the HE-5LE's based upon the performance of the 5's, so they might become one of my favorites.

A poll like this ends up being a poll of what people own, not what they would choose to own if they had their druthers.

which reminds me: What are druthers? and why would we want them?

There should be a head-fi meet which is specifically meant for a group of people to get together and listen to every single flagship headphone... especially the oop headphones. And at the end of the meet there should be a ballot to vote for your top 5. If the group was large enough, we could accurately determine what is the greatest headphone of all time, and in what order........sounds like a cool idea to me:)

May 4, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #35 of 44
how about can-jam
wink.gif

it's too far for us Europeans (at least those on a budget) but it should give a large enough group to test on.

May 4, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #36 of 44
Will have to be the Stax SR-007BL.
Marvelous pair of headphones, although it need a beast of an amplifier to perform its best.

May 4, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #37 of 44
Balanced ATH W5000 does it for me everytime.

May 4, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #38 of 44
Unquestionably the open best HP's are the STAX 007's and the best closed HP's are the 4070's. Everything else is just compromise.

May 4, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #39 of 44
My greatest headphone is D7000 so far.. Until get myself a T1..

May 5, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #41 of 44
The absolute best open value can is the Sennheiser HD 600 for its all around awesomeness and ability to do anything you want it to do very well

The Best closed back - ultrasone Edition 8/ATH-esw10

The best open back - Sennheiser HD800

The best Bass goes to the Ultrasone Pro 750 or similar US model

The clearest I think would go to the Ultrasone Edition 8, have not tested 9 yet

Biggest wow factor - Sennheiser HD800

Best portable inner ear bud - IE8

Best portable earbud that hangs - Yuin Pk1/Sennheiser MX980

Best budget closed back - JVCHAS700

Best Budget open back - Sennheiser HD485

Best stock IEM from an mp3/media player - Insignia HD radio buds ( they sound very similar to the old monster turbines )

Sexiest - Shure 840 with swbf2cheater headband mod :p yep, i said it, its true. The combination of Shure 840 with a Sennheiser HD600 headband is undeniable win

Best closed back budget gaming headphones - Shure 840

Best open back budget gaming headphones - Sennheiser HD 595

Best Gaming headphones - Sennheiser HD800

Best soundstage - Sennheiser HD800

Best closed back value - A tie between Shure 840 and ATH-M50

Best surprise and unexpectedly great IEM - Monster Turbine Pro Copper

Best surprise and unexpectedly great closed back - JVCHAS700

Best surprise and unexpectedly great open back - Sennheiser PMX100 ( wow )

Most comfortable closed back - Shure 840 with SWBF2cheater mod
biggrin.gif
yep, its also true

Most comfortable open back - Sennheiser HD485 ( sorry, its better than the HD600 and up )

Most comfortable IEM - any custom molded ultimate ears

Most comfortable IEM that hangs - Sennheiser MX880

good day to you all, hope i didnt miss anything

May 6, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #42 of 44
My vote is for the R10. Best headphone I've ever heard in my life, hands down.

May 6, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #43 of 44
Thanks - I can really have no idea, I haven't heard anything near enough headphones to know :) 

Quote:
I've heard them all except the HE5-LE, and I don't have an informed opinion. I own, or have owned, most of them. The "best" simply depends on what mood I'm in at the time, and thus which pair I happen to put on. One head, one pair of headphones. Whichever one I'm listening to at the time sounds way better than all of the rest. It's not that complicated. If it sounds good to you, then it is good. There is really nothing to "determine" here IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back