Detailed IEM under $80
Jan 2, 2009 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Sherman8r

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. My Panasonic RP-HJE50's are crapping out on me, so I'm in the market for a new, inexpensive IEM. I prefer to keep my expectations relatively low and my wallet relatively full, so I'd like to keep it under $80.

Right now I'm enamored with my Sony V6, so I'd like to use that as a benchmark for my IEM's. I want to approach the V6's clarity/detail/separation of instruments. I ideally want at least as much bass thump, and just as clear (not muddy) bass. And I'd like to avoid the sibilance of the V6 that drives me crazy after a couple hours of listening.

So far the best choices I've found seem to the Sony EX-81, Etymotic ER-6i, and Shure SCL4 (although it's getting a bad rep now, even at $80?).

I'm just using an iPod, and I listen to a lot of rock (classic, alternative, prog, 90's one hit wonders) and a little bit of rap. Suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also seriously wondering why the SCL4s are getting a bad rep now. Is the bass seriously lacking?

I originally ordered the SCL4 for $80 from musici123.com, but I canceled the order due to their lack of bass (from what I've heard) and age (the E4C have been around for years now) and bad rep like you said. I could probably sell on ebay for at least $100 when I get them, but I figure it's not worth the hassle.

For under $80, I would go with the new Apple In ears. I think with the SCL4 will beat the ADDIEM regarding the details but I am not sure about the bass department. I have not heard the ER6i or Altec iM716, but the ADDIEM are really good value IMO. I listen to mostly Prog Rock and Prog Metal, and man they sound awesome with these music. The bass is very punchy and accurate. I can feel the separation of the instruments very well and thus appreciate the intricacy of prog music very much. They are also very comfy as I wore them for hours straight and didn't feel a bit uncomfortable. The Apple in-ear sound especially good with Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Tool, Opeth, ...

If you just want detail and are willing to sacrifice the bass (like some head-fier warned me
biggrin.gif
), i think you'll be better off with the SCL4.

BTW, the $79 is back on Guitarcenter now if you still want them.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 34
I found the ER-6i to be more detailed than the ADDIEM, but others disagree. The ADDIEMs certainly have more bass though. And it's good clean bass too. So, if you're wary about the Shures because of their bass-weakness, you should probably go Apple. w00t for Apple.

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #7 of 34
The ADDIEM certainly does not have more detail than the ER6i (I have the HF5, which is similar although maybe slightly more detailed. It destroys the Apple for clarity all around, especially in the highs).

Also, the ADDIEM's bass is bested by Nuforce's NE-7M, which is further bested by the ZAGG Z.Buds' bass.

I should have the Shure SCL4 by tomorrow or Monday to compare against these three (I own all three, ADDIEM, NE-7M, Z.Buds).

Jan 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

I should have the Shure SCL4 by tomorrow or Monday to compare against these three (I own all three, ADDIEM, NE-7M, Z.Buds).

Hehe I can't wait to read your comparison
biggrin.gif
. I returned the ADDIEM to try out the SCL4 thinking I could rebuy the ADDIEM anytime I want. But then I could afford a little bit more, I canceled the SCL4 and went with the Custom 3 for $160. Hopefully I've made the right decision. Otherwise I'm gonna have hang myself up side down
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the ADDIEM's bass is bested by Nuforce's NE-7M, which is further bested by the ZAGG Z.Buds' bass.

The Ne-7m have lots of bass but doesn't have low end clarity. My D-jays blow away the NE-7M in clarity from top to bottom. You can hear a lot more notes in the low end from the D-Jays, the Ne-7m sounds more muddy on the low end but with more quantity.

The ADDIEMs had a similar bass to the D-Jays. Of course, this is from memory when I compared the D-Jays to them so it might not be accurate. I returned the ADDIEM because I got the SCL4. The Ne-7Ms are going back too.

Jan 2, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe I can't wait to read your comparison
biggrin.gif
. I returned the ADDIEM to try out the SCL4 thinking I could rebuy the ADDIEM anytime I want. But then I could afford a little bit more, I canceled the SCL4 and went with the Custom 3 for $160. Hopefully I've made the right decision. Otherwise I'm gonna have hang myself up side down
frown.gif

You have to form your own opinions. Audio is very personal preference. Reading others opinions only gets you so far. They are opinions after all. Everyone hears different and has different likes. Some ones anemic bass is some ones accurate bass. Some one else's good bass is another's muddy overemphasized bass. Get it.

You will get just as many polarized views on the custom 3s. The best IEM is the one that sounds the best to you.

I was seriously looking at the Custom 3 too. I started to read reviews and couldn't get a clear picture from the opinions posted. When I am in the market for a $160 earphone I look at the custom 3. For now I am happy with the SCL4 deal.

Jan 2, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ne-7m have lots of bass but doesn't have low end clarity. My D-jays blow away the NE-7M in clarity from top to bottom. You can hear a lot more notes in the low end from the D-Jays, the Ne-7m sounds more muddy on the low end but with more quantity.

Yeah, I should've qualified that by saying the quantity + quality is greater than the ADDIEM on the Nuforce Ne-7M, and the same for ZAGG Z.Buds above the NE-7M. It's all a compromise with bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back