Detachable Cables - yay or nay?
May 31, 2011 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

The-One

500+ Head-Fier
What the pros and cons of having an IEM with detachable cables vs fixed cables? And would you recommend me to get them with?

Things like, reliability, comfort, etc. Cos there seem to be a little block of plastic on some detachable cables iems I see, does that brush up against your skin constantly etc..

Thanks

May 31, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 5
One positive is definitely going to be the ease of replacing the cable if something goes wrong and the cable stops working for some reason.

I am also interested in the pros/cons between the two.

May 31, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 5
one of the first things to go are the cables, can you imagine spending all that money on earphones only for the cable to go just after warranty, and believe me its happened to millions. downsides?? what downsides?

ok now if you have a poorly designed set of earphones that have replaceable cables then this may be a bigger fault than advantage, there will be nothing worse than needing to replace the cable every 6 months you are better off with a much better designed fixed cable that could last years anyway. but in all honesty most replacement cables are a feature of higher end earphones and are well thought out.

the only other downside i can imagine happening but is very rare is the connections widening and becoming loose no matter if you replace cable or not but i havnt seen a case of this myself.

the pro's outweigh the con's all day long, in fact i cant see why all high end earphones dont feature replaceable cables. the only reason i can think of is cost to the manufacturer to implement it into the design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back