Desperate need for change! *New headphones
Nov 16, 2014 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FredrikT92

500+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I've had the LCD-2s for awhile now, and I like them alot, but I want to try something new. I also struggle a bit with their comfort. 
I cant wear them more then 1 hour before it itches on my head, even with suede headband. 
Basicly I have come to the conclusion that I want either HiFiMan HE-560, KingSound KS-H03 or 1 of the Oppo headphones. 
I listen mostly to electronic genre's, but I want that nice clean sound. Bass is importent too, but I dont necessary need alot of it, just good quality punch. 
Please vote if you have heard atleast 2 of the headphones in the poll. 

It would help me alot cause im not really sure which 1 to pick and im tired of reading...

My current amp is an Schiit Mjolnir, but its going to be changed

Thank You!

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 5
  Hello!

I've had the LCD-2s for awhile now, and I like them alot, but I want to try something new. I also struggle a bit with their comfort. 
I cant wear them more then 1 hour before it itches on my head, even with suede headband. 
Basicly I have come to the conclusion that I want either HiFiMan HE-560, KingSound KS-H03 or 1 of the Oppo headphones. 
I listen mostly to electronic genre's, but I want that nice clean sound. Bass is importent too, but I dont necessary need alot of it, just good quality punch. 
Please vote if you have heard atleast 2 of the headphones in the poll. 

It would help me alot cause im not really sure which 1 to pick and im tired of reading...

My current amp is an Schiit Mjolnir, but its going to be changed

Thank You!

I have the LCD2v2 and have the same comfort issue, but in a TOTL HP shootout, they came out on top in terms of SQ:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/717989/totl-hp-shootout-oppo-pm-1-hd800-lcd2-2-t1-he500-fostex-th900-hd650-hd600

I also have the Mjolnir to pair them with and love the aggressive sound, but found that I really like them better with a good tube amp like the one in the shootout. The conclusion of the shootout was that they were on tops in SQ with the HD800. The Oppo was good and very comfortable, but was a tier below. I recently was in two HE560 tours and found them excellent, but the sound stage was too far back for me where I enjoy the more intimate LCD2 sound stage. However, the cable is flimsy and was broken on one of the tour pairs requiring replacement. The HE560 also was not the best pairing with the Mjolnir, but sounded wonderful with the inexpensive GO1000.

At CANJAM, I got to listen through the new Audeze lineup and while I thought the X was my favorite - another tour - I found that I liked the XC even better. What was very interesting was that the new pads on the entire lineup were a huge upgrade making them much more comfortable, including the LCD2. I am considering getting the new pads to gain that comfort, but have been toying with the idea of upgrading to the XC instead. BTW, the XC paired with the new AK120 II in balanced is an end game setup.

Conclusions:
  • Signature: If you like the Audeze house sound, it is unique and I am not finding anyone that beats them at this sound. Other HPs are different, but none are better - so it really comes down to signature preference.
  • Sound: If you are tired of the sound, a change in amps such as the EC Zana Dues can bring back all the excitement while retaining that wonderful sound.
  • Comfort: While the new pads do not solve all the problems, they do give the LCD2 a new lease on life with highly improved comfort. Compression feels less, sore spots from compression goes away, but the HPs are still heavy. Interestingly, even though the X and XC are heavier, both feel lighter and more stable on the head.
  • Variety: My take on getting bored with HPs it to add variety in signature. I was going for the HD800 until I heard and immediately purchased the HD700. Now I have two very contrasting signatures that keep my music interesting. The HD700 is about sound stage, clarity, and detail just like the 800, but is warmer making them much more fun. They are also a lot easier to drive and pair. I pair them with my inexpensive GO720 or with my portable players like my X5 or AK100 II. They are also getting easy to find at huge discounts - I got mine at $550 down from $900 suggested. The HD700 is the most comfortable HP I have ever tried, second only to the HD800.

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 5
The 560 is most likely what you're after.  The Oppo doesnt' really hit all that hard in the bass.  It has a good amount of quantity in the mid-bass, but it's not that punchy.

The 560 is overall thinner than the LCD2 and slightly thinner than the PM1 in timbre, bit its bass is bottomless and punches very hard for its quantity.  It also has plenty of energy in the treble without going into excess fatigue.  With its lightish weight and suspension strap, the top of your head won't get irritated.  Some have said to not match the 560 with bright upstream gear, and I would likely agree with that assertion.  I've heard the Mjolnir is on the brighter side of things, so I'm not sure if it's the best match for the 560.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 5
I LOVE electronica through the 560, and I play it pretty damn loud. I would also be a little cautious about synergy with a bright amp, however, a slight cut with a well thought out parametric EQ and your in heaven. As the LCD 2s are known for lovely bottom end, but a trifle rolled-off top end, my guess would be like the HD 650 did to me straving my neural circuits of just enough treble to make me want to scratch my brain, the LCD might be doing to you. If that is the case the 560 might be a great new sound signature for you as it has quite accomplished bass as well as a nicely extended top end. Certainly the 560 should be high on your audition list. Here are a few of my fave electronica artists that I routinely pump through my 560:

Deadmau5
Thievery Corporation
Chemical Brothers
Bluetech
Phuturprimitive
Pitchblack
Depeche Mode
Deadcan Dance (sort of electronica)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back