Desperate call for advice
Aug 22, 2009 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Falkek

New Head-Fier
Hi there all-knowing-headphone-scientists,

I'm in need of some good sounding headphones, but I'm still quite clueless. What would you recommend for me?

I listen to metal(mostly)/rock/classical. I got about $650,- to spend.
It's for home usage only, and I'll use it with a Creative X-Fi Elite Pro.
I'm aiming for something with very detailed bass and I want to feel the bass but it shouldn't overpower everything or anything, and a warm sound is always welcome.

Thanks in advance,

David

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 52
With a Microsoft cash back offer on an eBay auction (sale) I got my D7000's for about that ($660).

They're quite nice.
beavisnbutthead.gif

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, you have to wait for the rebate
dope.gif

Aug 22, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 52
Appreciate it, but I would like to buy them in the Netherlands. I don't trust long range mail ;p did it once before, got my box almost destroyed. But the D7000 are a recommendation? ;p

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 52
If you can find a pair still, Audio Technica ESW10JPN as well. They were limited-edition Japan only models, but, like the Denons, get better with better equipment. The Denons will take you further IMO if, down the track, you plan on buying a serious rig (DAC and amp). Denon bass can be a bit much though for some people, but out of a sound card, wont be so strong.

Aug 23, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 52
If you like tubes you could get Sennheiser HD650s (in the 300s if you know where to look and even cheaper if you don't mind used) with Darkvoice 336se (just under $300). If you were to go used with both of those you might be able to squeak in a basic DAC for that price. I nice warm set up.

Aug 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #7 of 52
I've been thinking about the grado RS-1 a LOT. But it costs 829 euros ($1187.96) here. So that sucks ;(

But a HD650 with an amp... Is that the way to go? Or is it good enough without an amp aswell? I know it requires a lot of power, will the elite pro provide that?

And another funny fact, the SR325i is more expensive here than the HD650... I think that has to be the other way around ;p

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 52
For a metal head I'd recommend the Grado RS-1 too, then get a pair of flat pads. You'll be able to drive them effortlessly with the PC soundcard. Get them used, you'll save a lot of money, Grados in Europe are shameless expensive due to the Grado distributor policies.
Other great option for you are the Grado HF-2, now that some members are selling them, or even the older HF-1, which are very good too. It's a pity you weren't in the market when the HF2 were still available directly from TTVJ.

The ESW10 are great phones, which will perform great out of a PC sound card. While expensive, they offer some "serious" results and rock quite well. If you found a used pair into your budget, it'd be a very good option too.

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 52
I saw the RS1i for $695 on Amazon.com, they ship to the Netherlands aswell. But I'm afraid it'll get damaged... Or is that stupid? ;p

And I'll do some looking around for the HF2 and the ESW10

Aug 23, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 52
I found a place where I can get the SR325i for the same price as the HD650... What do you guys recommend?

*Edit; The HF-2 and the ESW10 aren't anywhere to be found in the Netherlands

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

What is your total budget for buying headphones and related equipment?

What headphones are you now considering that you can get in Denmark or are willing to have shipped there?

It's all in the OP, but I'll do it a bit more clear;

-Using Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
-My total budget is around $700
-I live in the Netherlands and I can get the RS1i shipped but it's a long travel.
Others I've seen are the HD650, SR325i and the D5000... But take in mind that Sennheisers are pretty cheap here

I'm very open to suggestions, I've never had a high-end headphone so I'm still quite clueless although I've done a lot of reading here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back