Desktop speakers recommendation
Apr 27, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #16 of 19
If I were you I would use the ProAc and Niam. Just feed your digital signal from the HA-1 RCA preout, to the Naim Uniti 2 an. 1 input and you should be golden. The ProAc and the Niam will trounce the lower cost speakers listed.

If you want an upgrade go to the higher end speakers that were listed. The Dynaudio neos are excellent as is the KEF LSW. The LSWs are sexy too!

I run Emotiva Stealth 8s for my desktop setup and love them, but these will be way to big for your area. The stealth 5s would fit just right I think. Here is a link to some for sale on Ebay....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Emotiva-Stealth-5/143547767629?hash=item216c1d1b4d:g:A3AAAOSwOL9eYIg2

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #17 of 19
If I were you I would use the ProAc and Niam. Just feed your digital signal from the HA-1 RCA preout, to the Naim Uniti 2 an. 1 input and you should be golden. The ProAc and the Niam will trounce the lower cost speakers listed.

If you want an upgrade go to the higher end speakers that were listed. The Dynaudio neos are excellent as is the KEF LSW. The LSWs are sexy too!

I run Emotiva Stealth 8s for my desktop setup and love them, but these will be way to big for your area. The stealth 5s would fit just right I think. Here is a link to some for sale on Ebay....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Emotiva-Stealth-5/143547767629?hash=item216c1d1b4d:g:A3AAAOSwOL9eYIg2

I think either way is to go ikea to get a bigger desk and a rack that goes under the desk so I can place these DAC and Amp or use the compact speaker as recommended.

I am worrying if this speaker will sound good since the listening position is so close to the speaker.

hmm let me work out the cost and idea.

thanks guys for ur kind recommendations.

Apr 27, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #18 of 19
I think either way is to go ikea to get a bigger desk and a rack that goes under the desk so I can place these DAC and Amp or use the compact speaker as recommended.

I am worrying if this speaker will sound good since the listening position is so close to the speaker.

hmm let me work out the cost and idea.

thanks guys for ur kind recommendations.

That's a great idea. The speakers that were recommended are used for nearfield listening. Another words they are made to listen up close.

Apr 27, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #19 of 19
Pardon me for the messy ideas. I am thinking of setting up a desktop rig on a granite table top as per pic attached which you can see is not really big with the cabinets on the left side. Then as i go sorting out my store room, items keep popping out which i haven't used in years. Anyway i think like u said i shall keep it simple and not use all these super big items for now.
My life is one messy idea, so no need to apologize. That is a beautiful space by the way, you are very lucky. If you want a simple path to very good sound, something like the Kanto powered speaker rig is actually a great way forward. The sound quality was quite acceptable, and I enjoy full sized 2.1 channel listening. You know that in an extreme nearfield listening environment such as you are creating there are always going to be compromises. Saying that, I assume that when people build such a set-up they are aware of the compromises and do so realistically. You can get quite a nice little system without breaking the bank and with the Oppo as your DAC you are starting from a pretty nice spot.

I am a big fan of the Kanto gear as it really felt like full value for the money, build, features and sound quality were all very good for the money asked. I have no doubt that there are other excellent offerings as well so I am not suggesting that only Kanto gear will provide great results. Powered speakers make so much sense for a desktop rig and however you decide I would love to read about it in this thread and of course see pictures. I wish that I had a picture of my Kanto rig, not sure if I do somewhere. Here is my last nearfield listening setup. The desktop was pretty large and there was a little REL T-Zero sub under the desk.
MyOldNearfield.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back