Desktop speakers recommendation
Apr 26, 2020 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Uniquexme

100+ Head-Fier
I have got the following old items laying in my store room which I haven’t use in years and intend to do a desktop setup by adding a monitor and speakers:

- Mac mini Late 2012 (will be upgrading to SSD and 16GB ram)
- Oppo HA-1 Desktop amplifier
- Chord Mojo
- Audeze LCD-3
- JH audio Roxanne IEM
- AK240

I am still in the process of finding which 32” QHD monitor to go with, but have a hard time choosing even after watching YouTube recommendations as most are for gaming which I dun do on Mac, but just for basic word, excel, youtube and music listening.

I need a set of speakers, preferably those that are able to connect to my existing equipments. Can I just connect a set of active or passive speakers to either the Chord Mojo or Oppo HA-1? Or can I use Mojo as DAC and HA-1 as amplifier out to the speakers?

IIRC I used Aurdivana music software for this Mac mini many years ago. May I know what are the music apps that u guys used on ur Mac these days?

I would be appreciated if anyone can assists me with the speaker and monitor selection. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 19
hi say around USD200

I'll give you some options around that price point.
1) Kanto YU2 - $169 on Amazon
2) Edifier R1850DB - $199 on Amazon
3) Dayton Audio B652-AIR w/ a class T amp - I bought some of these for my wife for Christmas and they are really good. These are passive speakers so you'll need an amp for them.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...kshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651
4) NHT SuperOne w/ class T amp

If you want better Audiophile sound you'll need to spend more. The Emo Stealth 8 is my favorite. I love bass though...

1) KEF LS50 Wireless - $2500
2) Emotiva Stealth 8 - these are my personal powered monitor and they are awesome!
3) Adam Audio AX7
4) Dynaudio NEO2 and NEO4

Hope this helps

Apr 26, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 19
I'll give you some options around that price point.
1) Kanto YU2 - $169 on Amazon
2) Edifier R1850DB - $199 on Amazon
3) Dayton Audio B652-AIR w/ a class T amp - I bought some of these for my wife for Christmas and they are really good. These are passive speakers so you'll need an amp for them.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...kshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651
4) NHT SuperOne w/ class T amp

If you want better Audiophile sound you'll need to spend more. The Emo Stealth 8 is my favorite. I love bass though...

1) KEF LS50 Wireless - $2500
2) Emotiva Stealth 8 - these are my personal powered monitor and they are awesome!
3) Adam Audio AX7
4) Dynaudio NEO2 and NEO4

Hope this helps

thank you so much shall look into those u recommended. Btw may I know what’s the best way to connect these active speakers to either DAC/amp? Like for mojo just plug into the headphone socket?

Apr 26, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 19
thank you so much shall look into those u recommended. Btw may I know what’s the best way to connect these active speakers to either DAC/amp? Like for mojo just plug into the headphone socket?

You will want to plug into the preout on the Oppo HA-1. It's the bottom left in this picture.

140520_oppo_HA-1_back.jpg

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 19
Yes to all above, and I have owned a full Kanto rig (YU5/Sub8) and I was quite pleased with the sound, features and build quality. Make sure to get speaker stands that tilt the speakers a little upward toward you. But don't skimp on the speakers, I would say save as long as you can to increase your budget to around $400 US, if possible. Ideally, you can add a subwoofer into the mix. Don't forget, the smaller the drivers and cabinets are for speakers, typically the low bass performance drops. You can assume anything that is under say a 5" driver will have very little bass below 50Hz.

Apr 26, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 19
Yes to all above, and I have owned a full Kanto rig (YU5/Sub8) and I was quite pleased with the sound, features and build quality. Make sure to get speaker stands that tilt the speakers a little upward toward you. But don't skimp on the speakers, I would say save as long as you can to increase your budget to around $400 US, if possible. Ideally, you can add a subwoofer into the mix. Don't forget, the smaller the drivers and cabinets are for speakers, typically the low bass performance drops. You can assume anything that is under say a 5" driver will have very little bass below 50Hz.

As my desk is not really that big, i think compact size speaker would be more proportionate. I did some research on the Kanto Y2 and it seems more difficult to get here in Asia, including AudioEngine A2+, I really like the form factor of these 2 speakers, the Edifier R1850DB is way too big for my liking.

Pardon me to ask again, may I ask what cable for connecting these active speakers to the pre-out on my HA-1 if I want to use just the active speakers amp? I think as for the Chord Mojo there is no way to use with an active speaker.

oh and lastly the Kef LSX caught my attention but somehow it doesn’t have USB input support 🤧

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 19
As my desk is not really that big, i think compact size speaker would be more proportionate. I did some research on the Kanto Y2 and it seems more difficult to get here in Asia, including AudioEngine A2+, I really like the form factor of these 2 speakers, the Edifier R1850DB is way too big for my liking.

Pardon me to ask again, may I ask what cable for connecting these active speakers to the pre-out on my HA-1 if I want to use just the active speakers amp? I think as for the Chord Mojo there is no way to use with an active speaker.

oh and lastly the Kef LSX caught my attention but somehow it doesn’t have USB input support 🤧
If you like that form factor, look at the Q Acoustics 3010i . You will need to pickup a class T mini amp to run these though, these are not powered. This amp will work https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32827722653.html . These are in your price range and get very good reviews.

You will need to use RCA cables for the SMSL class T amp that I listed. For the powered speakers I would use two 3 pin XLR cables. You can get these on Amazon or Aliexpress.

The LSX is very nice. The reason there is no USB support is because it doesn't have a built-in DAC. You will use the DAC from the HA-1 for all of these speakers.

Apr 26, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 19
If you like that form factor, look at the Q Acoustics 3010i . You will need to pickup a class T mini amp to run these though, these are not powered. This amp will work https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32827722653.html . These are in your price range and get very good reviews.

You will need to use RCA cables for the SMSL class T amp that I listed. For the powered speakers I would use two 3 pin XLR cables. You can get these on Amazon or Aliexpress.

The LSX is very nice. The reason there is no USB support is because it doesn't have a built-in DAC. You will use the DAC from the HA-1 for all of these speakers.

checking on the above Q acoustics and T amp now 😬

Apr 26, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 19
I just dig out a few more items in my store room :

- Naim Uniti 2
- ProAc Tablette Anniversary speakers

do u guys think I can utilize all my old items and consolidate into a nice system? In that case I can save some money and yet utilize these old items that I forgot I own them before.

Out of these items which DAC do u guys think is the best among them all? Amp wise it would either I use the Naim Uniti2 or the SMSL.

I just check that SMSL SA-98E looks rather promising as it also can power my ProAc Tablette Anniversary too.

Headache now😂

Apr 27, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 19
I just dig out a few more items in my store room :

- Naim Uniti 2
- ProAc Tablette Anniversary speakers

do u guys think I can utilize all my old items and consolidate into a nice system? In that case I can save some money and yet utilize these old items that I forgot I own them before.

Out of these items which DAC do u guys think is the best among them all? Amp wise it would either I use the Naim Uniti2 or the SMSL.

I just check that SMSL SA-98E looks rather promising as it also can power my ProAc Tablette Anniversary too.

Headache now😂
I'm not sure what your priorities are, your last response to me was that you didn't have lots of desktop space, and now all of the gear you are mentioning are going to take up more room than what I had suggested. So what is the real story in terms of space, were you intending to mount the ProAc speakers (which look fantastic by the way, same with the Naim) on stands? If you have space adding the Kanto, or any other similar size powered speaker is worthwhile considering. Now if you are proposing using proper speakers on stands not on your desk, absolutely if you can do that then by all means do it. If you are considering putting the ProAc speakers on your desk, adding an amp, that just seems inconsistent based on your previous comment about the amount space you had available.

When I had the Kanto rig, the sub was on the floor under the desk so really you just have the two satellite speakers taking an RCA feed in from your Oppo so one cable and done. So please, for the sake of those trying to provide you with some input clarify what your space situation is and what your priorities are. Cheers.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #15 of 19
I'm not sure what your priorities are, your last response to me was that you didn't have lots of desktop space, and now all of the gear you are mentioning are going to take up more room than what I had suggested. So what is the real story in terms of space, were you intending to mount the ProAc speakers (which look fantastic by the way, same with the Naim) on stands? If you have space adding the Kanto, or any other similar size powered speaker is worthwhile considering. Now if you are proposing using proper speakers on stands not on your desk, absolutely if you can do that then by all means do it. If you are considering putting the ProAc speakers on your desk, adding an amp, that just seems inconsistent based on your previous comment about the amount space you had available.

When I had the Kanto rig, the sub was on the floor under the desk so really you just have the two satellite speakers taking an RCA feed in from your Oppo so one cable and done. So please, for the sake of those trying to provide you with some input clarify what your space situation is and what your priorities are. Cheers.

Apologies for

Pardon me for the messy ideas. I am thinking of setting up a desktop rig on a granite table top as per pic attached which you can see is not really big with the cabinets on the left side. Then as i go sorting out my store room, items keep popping out which i haven't used in years. Anyway i think like u said i shall keep it simple and not use all these super big items for now.

Attachments

• Desk.jpg
    Desk.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back