Desktop Setup
Sep 18, 2020 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RCracer777

100+ Head-Fier
Over the past few weeks I've been looking to up my audio game. I've been using my Fiio X7 MK II for the past few years now mostly with IEM's and a Audio-Technica ATH MSR7. And while great on the move, at home I'm using my PC as my primary audio source and I know I can do better than my rig's admittedly impressive onboard audio (relative to other onboard systems). While I'm usually good at finding what I want/need, with the sheer amount of audio products out there I'm at a loss.

What I'm looking for is a desktop solution to improve my headphone experience, DAC/amp combo's or a stack with separate DAC and amp are both fine. Capable of powering 300Ω headphones comfortably for €500,- max.

The ifi Zen DAC was recommended to me while I was at a Hi-Fi store testing headphones recently and I've looked at some Schiit stacks like a Magni Heresy + Modi 3 (+ Loki mini) or a Magnius + Modius combination.
But I know this is just a fraction of what is available and want to hear what some of your suggestions and advice would be.
Although due to my location and their terrible shipping to here, Drop products are not an option for me.

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 5
If you want DSD or MQA support schiit doesn't have it.

The output of the ifi zen DAC looks like it will not have enough horsepower for 300 ohm cans. Just based on specs it should drive your Mezes plenty well, I have no experience with the ATs.

I recommend separates but the Audio-gd R2R-11 is a nice all in one that's cheap, does DSD (but not MQA) and sounds great. It has a more capable headamp than usual for anywhere near the price range. It's available direct from China but also stocked in the Netherlands.

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Currently I own no DSD files and only one MQA album, so they're no must for me. Mostly Flac's (CD and Hi-Res) and dirty MP3's are what I've currently got.

The 300Ω is more with sight on the future than the current/near future situation. Got some HD660S on order so for now 150Ω is the bare minimum it has to do and with the RCA on the ifi zen DAC a separate amp is possible. And I'll have a look at the R2R-11.

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 5
What about the Fiio K5 Pro? It's as priced as the iFi ZEN and it can power high impedance headphones easily.

Sep 18, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 5
Could work, it has more inputs than the ifi but it the 4.4 lacks balanced, then again I don't have much that uses it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back