Desktop Portable, but what source?
Jul 9, 2007 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Tyll Hertsens

Garmentus Vulgaris & Headphoneus Supremus
Member of the Trade: Innerfidelity
You may heave seen the recent ad in Stereophile where we show the Desktop Portable with an OQO UMPC as a source. As I wrote the ad, I knew the player was a rare beast among audiophiles, but it just seemed like the perfect source for the Desktop Portable to me at the time. OTOH, we know that most folks are likely to simply use it with a laptop. We are in the process of designing the bag for this amp and are somewhat scratching our heads about what sources people are really likely to use.

If you had a Desktop Portable, what would you likely use as a source?

Here's what it looks like. We're going to make a strap and lounger like our Micro Strap:

desktopportableandoqo.jpg

Would you use it that way, and with what source?

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 38
First, I LOVE my Desktop Portable + DAC and the HeadRoom travel bag. I found this thread just in time, as I'm currently looking at various "source" options right now.

Currently, I use the following:

HOME

DVD Player w/ Digital Output
Playstaion 2 w/ Toslink Ouptut
Workstation Computer w/ Delta Audiophile 192 (Digital Output and/or Analog)

PORTABLE

Creative Zen Vision:M (Line Out via Dongle)
Sony PSP (starting to be preferred as it offers "visualization" w/ music!)
Dell Axim x51V (Gosh, the sound truly sucks on this and I hardly use it).

The PSP and the ZV:M fit well in the Travel bag (even with the PSP's hard protective shell). When I'm not lugging around the Sennheiser HD650s, I use the Super.fi 5 Pro's (looking for something else).

IN THE MARKET

Since listening to my .mp3 files via the digital output of the DVD player, I now realize just how *bad* the ZV:M really sounds and I've almost stopped using it (I thought it was just the .mp3 quality). I've been researching for portable DVD players that include a digital output, yet I'm finding that the screen resolution and/or build quality is lacking. Seeing the UMPC in the photo above leads me to think that a UMPC may be the way to go (as opposed to an Archos 605 WiFi)--great screen resolution, and more appropriate for use at the university for "other" than music or movies.

I'll have to break out my digital calipers to get the exact dimensions of the pocket on the Traveler bag
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 38
The new Headroom Desktop Portable is one cool piece of kit, and the primary reason I suggested that Headroom put their print ads online (little did I know that it is there on the site, albeit buried a few layers down). When I read that ad in Stereophile, I thought to myself two things:

1. Why the heck hasn't Headroom been talking about this on Head-Fi?????

and

2. How can I find a need to get one. The very idea of it is that cool!

I agree that a hand-holdable PC, or Tablet-PC is the perfect choice for this amp/DAC combo. They're small/carryable, have decent amount of storage (and upgradable), decent sized screen, known interface (also upgradable/tweakable), user-selectable audio software. The question is which one?

The OQO, while top-notch, is too expensive to lug around, and potentially bang up (and have to repair/replace). The Sony VAIO UX series is nice, but at ~$1200 it's too expensive too. But the Samsung Q1B for less than $775 shipped:

A5400074_1.jpg

Now we're talking!

If you shop around enough, you can find refurbed Toshiba Tablet PC's for <$500. A little bigger, but cheap enough.

Makes me wanna buy a Desktop Portable just to have one of these neat combos.

Jul 15, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 38
I am starting to conseider a UMPC, partly of which would be for a mobile source. However, I am not too sure how likely I would be to carry around an amp that would essentially double the size of the hardware I was toting around. For me, size of the amp would be the biggest factor.

Jul 15, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 38
Are you using a USB or optical output from that OQO?

And, I would either use a UMPC or extremely small/lightweight ultra-portable laptop. Such as the ultra-portable Thinkpad.

Edit: What about an Archos 605? I think it has optical out, and it may be able to use USB out...

Jul 16, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Nokia 770!

1. Severely limited in storage, especially if we are talking lossless audio files.

2. Does Internet Tablet OS 2006 ed support external USB sound card devices?

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 38
Here's a bunch of UMPCs

These are the ones I think might work reasonably.

The Sony Vaio UX

imgUX_1.jpg

The OQO2

imgoqo-02_1.jpg

The Flip Start

flip2.jpg

The Everun
imgeverun_1.jpg

The HTC Shift

imgshift_1.jpg

and The Hello Kitty Laptop

imghello-kitty-nec_1.jpg

Oooops, sorry, I was blinded by the light for a minute.

Anyway, I think UMPCs are the way to go, but NOBODY I know actually has one of these UMPCs, and while I think it's the way to go, I doubt many are actually using it this way.

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif

These are the ones I think might work reasonably.

The Sony Vaio UX

imgUX_1.jpg

Anyway, I think UMPCs are the way to go, but NOBODY I know actually has one of these UMPCs, and while I think it's the way to go, I doubt many are actually using it this way.

I used my Sony Vaio UX with my BitHead via USB a couple times, but the battery life was unacceptably short (under two hours). It was also clear that once I finally get a handheld PC with enough battery life, the skins of Foobar2000/Media Player/etc. would require significant customization to be usable as a handheld music player.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 38
Tyll, what about the Cathena CX? (It's a re-branded Japanese UMPC.)

And the Archos 605 (I know, I mentioned it earlier, and I don't think it necessarily has an optical out, but the DVR station does, so that dictates that it may be possible to make an optical LOD):

Jul 26, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 38
People keep mentioning the Micro DAC. This unit has the DAC built in with USB, coaxial and optical inputs. The issue is what digital source to feed its DAC.

I know that they are only available as used units but my H140 would still do the trick - even if it would be dwarfed by this amp. bbrand makes a good point. Battery life is an important issue.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the Archos 605 (I know, I mentioned it earlier, and I don't think it necessarily has an optical out, but the DVR station does, so that dictates that it may be possible to make an optical LOD):

Which DVR station? I'm definatly getting one if it has an optical out option. The Micro will probably be sold off for the new micro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back