Desktop headphone amplifier + DAC to power 600ohm DT880s
Dec 8, 2022 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TheGiantHogweed

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi.

I currently have the SMSL M3 as a DAC and the headphone amplifier in this is far too weak. I use the Fiio A3 though the line out which gets my DT880s to reasonable volume levels, but only just and it sounds like it is starting to struggle at times.

I've been looking around at some all in one DACs with headphone amplifiers. Around the £150 - £200 mark. I was very tempted by the FiiO K5 pro until I found out that the phono output isn't a fixed line out and the volume is altered by the volume knob.

I will want to use many devices with what I get, so it must have USB, Optical and Coaxial inputs. The K5 pro has a phono input which would be a benefit, but not essential.

I also require the line out to be active the whole time the unit is on, even when headphones are plugged in. I have an integrated amplifier with speakers plugged into the phono output of my SMSL M3 at the moment and I just mute that amplifier when I use headphones. If I got a new DAC, I would want the ability to just turn the dial down, leaving the headphones plugged in and then listen via the line out.

I currently use my PC audio with USB, but will consider changing it to optical as it may help with interference if the next amplifier I get has a phono input, as another of my input devices does have an analog audio output that I will be happy to swap out to gain the optical port, which I am currently using.

Another strong preference I have is I want to avoid having any sort of display / interface on the unit. I would like it to all be knobs, switches and buttons. As my PC is in my bedroom, a display will also be somewhat distracting for me if I want to listen to music in the dark. I would much rather it just had very few simple LEDs if possible.

I'm asking for a lot here, but would appreciate if anyone could list some options.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #2 of 22
The best thing for high impedance dynamics is a tube OTL amplifier. I would guess anything solid state that has the grunt is going to be at least 5X what you want to spend. A Valhalla 2, even used, should be good medicine.

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 22
I honestly very happy with the sound of my DT880s, I only want something that can drive them much better than what I have. I will mention that my Pioneer A-209R intergrated amp must have a very powerful headphone amplifier, as that can drive them very well, but due to the location of this amp, i can't use it for headphones. Plus it has interference due to the amount of inputs.

But given how good this can sound (to me) with just one input, it shows that a good amplifier should be enough. I am not trying to get the best thing possible for these headphones, just something that is a small improvement in sound quality, but far more powerful. But under £200.

Dec 9, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 22
I've been looking around at some all in one DACs with headphone amplifiers. Around the £150 - £200 mark. I was very tempted by the FiiO K5 pro until I found out that the phono output isn't a fixed line out and the volume is altered by the volume knob.

I will want to use many devices with what I get, so it must have USB, Optical and Coaxial inputs. The K5 pro has a phono input which would be a benefit, but not essential.

I also require the line out to be active the whole time the unit is on, even when headphones are plugged in. I have an integrated amplifier with speakers plugged into the phono output of my SMSL M3 at the moment and I just mute that amplifier when I use headphones. If I got a new DAC, I would want the ability to just turn the dial down, leaving the headphones plugged in and then listen via the line out.

Does it have to be literally just active with the headphones plugged in or can you make do with having to stand up/reach over to flip a switch.
1670600882731.png

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/N11.28PE/NFB1128PEN.htm

I currently have the SMSL M3 as a DAC and the headphone amplifier in this is far too weak. I use the Fiio A3 though the line out which gets my DT880s to reasonable volume levels, but only just and it sounds like it is starting to struggle at times.

A little over 300mW should be enough for a 250ohm, 96dB/1mW headphone.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/N11.28PE/NFB1128PEN_Specs.htm

I currently use my PC audio with USB, but will consider changing it to optical as it may help with interference if the next amplifier I get has a phono input, as another of my input devices does have an analog audio output that I will be happy to swap out to gain the optical port, which I am currently using.

Another strong preference I have is I want to avoid having any sort of display / interface on the unit. I would like it to all be knobs, switches and buttons. As my PC is in my bedroom, a display will also be somewhat distracting for me if I want to listen to music in the dark. I would much rather it just had very few simple LEDs if possible.

I'm asking for a lot here, but would appreciate if anyone could list some options.

1670601127928.png

1670601174967.png

I honestly very happy with the sound of my DT880s, I only want something that can drive them much better than what I have. I will mention that my Pioneer A-209R intergrated amp must have a very powerful headphone amplifier, as that can drive them very well, but due to the location of this amp, i can't use it for headphones. Plus it has interference due to the amount of inputs.

Going 3dB louder requires doubling the power. Going 10dB louder to perceive the output as twice as loud requires over 8.33X power. Don't underestimate how much power you actually need here.

That said...you don't always need an amp specialized in delivering voltage at the expense of current to keep prices down. Sure you can get a 500mW at 300ohms OTL amp for like $200, but you can get a 300mW+ at 300ohms DAC-HPamp for $350+shipping.

But given how good this can sound (to me) with just one input, it shows that a good amplifier should be enough. I am not trying to get the best thing possible for these headphones, just something that is a small improvement in sound quality, but far more powerful. But under £200.

You're not gonna get a 256mW++ at 250ohms amp circuit with both SPDIF and USB inputs plus line outputs for £200 new.

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 22
Thanks for this great post. Very helpfully laid out.

Regarding the phono output, if there is a switch I could use to activate it, rather than have to unplug the headphones, i could get used to that I think. I would however want it to be a fixed volume that is not controlled by the DAC/AMP itself. This is what put me off the FiiO K5 PRO. Speaking of the K5 pro, that is easily within my budget, and I assume it will be far more powerful than my A3. But based on the information you are giving, with such high impedance headphones, I am assuming even this won't seem all that much better at driving the 600ohm DT880s?

I still wonder what my Pioneer A-209R has in it, as it is intended for speakers, has numerous inputs and the headphone output delivers more power than the DT880s would ever need even before the volume knob is half way. This amplifier cost £139 and most of the features in it are not for headphones. The things is misses out on is any digital inputs at all.

I can find quite a few amplifiers on amazon that have the features I want, but just have a few things I dislike, such as displays or the active phono out like I mentioned on the K5.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topping-ES9038Q2M-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier-Silver/dp/B09HBVDKQG/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3NV5UTRZB1RB4&keywords=Topping+DX3&qid=1670663165&s=electronics&sprefix=topping+dx3,electronics,78&sr=1-6&th=1

My other cheaper option may be to keep using my M3 (which probably isn't the best DAC) and use a very powerful headphone amplifier that just has a phono input. Maybe you could let me know about some of these options.

I have to say I love the look and design of the amplifier you have pics of, but that seems to only really be available in the USA.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 22
Regarding the phono output, if there is a switch I could use to activate it, rather than have to unplug the headphones, i could get used to that I think. I would however want it to be a fixed volume that is not controlled by the DAC/AMP itself. This is what put me off the FiiO K5 PRO.

Just note that the lower range AudioGDs may need to have some jumper in the board or have the jumpers removed for the output to function one way or another and only have three positions on the switch to sort of make it clearer what it will do or something like that. Not all of them but there are a few of them who need those jumpers in there or out depending on what you need, just consult the manual first. Don't worry you only need a screwdriver and, at worst, I think a tweezer.

Speaking of the K5 pro, that is easily within my budget, and I assume it will be far more powerful than my A3. But based on the information you are giving, with such high impedance headphones, I am assuming even this won't seem all that much better at driving the 600ohm DT880s?

Sort of. But when I pointed out that you shouldn't underestimate how much power you need due to the logarithmic relationship between iinput power and actual loudness, I was talking about power in general, not the K5 Pro in particular.

As for the K5 Pro in particular...it's way more powerful than the A3. At 32ohms. It has 1500mW (1.5watts) per channel if it gets a 32ohm load. This is where you might have a problem: it doesn't state anywhere on the product page what its output power is at 300ohm/600ohms. Some amps can have output power drop faster than other amps' when the load impedance is increased, so it's not impossible that it might have less than 150mW into a 300ohm load, and way under 100mW into a 600ohm load.

To be fair that's still a lot more than what the A3 puts out, but given how you're paying more for connectivity features than power nowadays, it's not hard to find something that has both connectivity options and a heck lot more power (that can come in handy if you get lower sensitivity headphones in the future) for not a lot more money.

I still wonder what my Pioneer A-209R has in it, as it is intended for speakers, has numerous inputs and the headphone output delivers more power than the DT880s would ever need even before the volume knob is half way. This amplifier cost £139 and most of the features in it are not for headphones. The things is misses out on is any digital inputs at all.

Maybe it's still like the older integrated amps that use the actual amplifier output stage to drive the headphone output and is just routed through there via some kind of switch unlike some amps since the late 1980s that just have some daughterboard with a headphone driver chip that has a high output impedance. Like how a Marantz CDP has the same daughterboard behind the headphone jack as a Marantz integrated amp, so if you were only using headphones, it doesn't make sense getting the integrated amp.

Or maybe it actually does have a daughterboard with a Philips chip, like on Marantz, which is actually a fairly good chip. At least in the sense that my Marantz CD60 sounds louder and a heck of a lot better than plugging my HD600 into my NAD304's headphone jack (that really, really sucked - unlike plugging Stax headphones with that voltage converter thing via the speaker binding posts). Well...not just up to that good...Fiio used a slightly modified version of that Philips headphone driver chip from 1989 on the original E9 and then an even newer version on the E09K.

So not really all that powerful, but compared to your A3, it is. It might even be piling more distortion at your listening level on that integrated amp than a good headphone amp would, but no way to tell without my listening to the same Pioneer and even then I can't guarantee if you would be able to hear the difference.

I can find quite a few amplifiers on amazon that have the features I want, but just have a few things I dislike, such as displays or the active phono out like I mentioned on the K5.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topping-ES9038Q2M-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier-Silver/dp/B09HBVDKQG/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3NV5UTRZB1RB4&keywords=Topping+DX3&qid=1670663165&s=electronics&sprefix=topping+dx3,electronics,78&sr=1-6&th=1

According to the specs it has 250mW into 300ohms.

So still more powerful than the A3, but I'm not sure if it's more power than the AudioGD at 600ohms, or how much more distortion it has.

However I had been assuming you had the 250ohm version. Since you have the 600ohm version, gimmeheadroom's suggestion to go with an OTL amp is a better if highly solution, if highly specific to that particular headphone (and other 600ohm headphones, which would be the T1 since I don't think anybody else makes 600ohm headphones anymore).

On the flipside if that integrated amp - which is from a series most known for being the music store choice for in-store demos than for actually being loved by audiophiles - gets loud enough for you then maybe the AudioGD or that Topping could still be loud enough, except for one thing: one factor there might be gain. Integrated amps tend to have higehr gain compared to most headphone amps (since headphones can more easily have audible noise given the drivers' proximity to your ears), save for a few that have a really high high gain setting. Price aside the AudioGD has its gain settings on the specs, but I can't see that for the Topping, so the AudioGD might be a safer bet short of just going with an OTL amp.

My other cheaper option may be to keep using my M3 (which probably isn't the best DAC)...

I use my Hidizs AP80 as a music player via the line out into my Meier Cantate.2. It has a 2V line output setting, so basically the same voltage as a CDP, unlike older DAPs that have more powerful headphone driver stages built more like a miniature CDP but the line outputs are only 1.2V. Your M6 has a setting for that too. Both aren't exactly like a CDP/DAC output stage as the setting is there (and not as a separate output port) because on these newer integrated audio chips (DAC+headphone driver chips; note that there isn't a real equivalent to a line output stage that is the most complex relative to how these chips are built) what the setting really does is just cap the otherwise variable output to the level where the output would be equivalent to 2V.

Basically though unless you're using the most esoteric equipment this is fine. Hell even the iPod's 1.2V simplified line output circuit sounded really good, it's only bested by CDPs/DACs that have better imaging (and TTs+phono stages) and when such sources are paired with an amp that would already be piling on noise when you crank it up more to compensate for the lower output voltage out of the iPod. This is why you can find people with really expensive gear claiming the iPod sounds the same as midrange CDPs if not the best source units, but there are some people with amps that aren't exactly the most magical (but, like, still have a dedicated listening room and great speakers) who can hear a difference between the iPod and their CDP. I couldn't hear the difference on a Krell system but I could on NAD and Marantz, I just didn't think like some skeptics who just think it's all bull or that the NAD and Marantz are "more transparent," I just think maybe I'm pushing a 35wpc NAD304 (let alone a PM80 I kept in Class A mode) straight into the distortion zone (it was outright clipping on the Marantz) when the source signal is only 1.2V.

...and use a very powerful headphone amplifier that just has a phono input. Maybe you could let me know about some of these options.

If you're open to this option and want to try an approach more specific to the DT880/600 (vs lower impedance, lower sensitivity headphones), then an OTL headphone amp is your best bet for getting power into a 600ohm headphone.

If you want some kind of flexibility with other headphones, there's the Schiit Asgard3 and Lyr3. Asgard will give you 300mW into 600ohms - it costs well under what the AudioGD costs and gets you a better amp (though not full Class A operation, just has a lot of Class A bias).

One downside to these though: their line outputs are controlled by the preamp. This is actually the more common thing for headphone amps and even DAC-HPamps-Preamps because the assumption is that if you have a headphone amp it's more likely you'll be using active desktop speakers followed by just using a pure power amp and using the HPA/DAC-HPA-Preamp as the main hub/preamp, and using integrated amps with HPAs is still more commonly done via the Rec Out on the integrated amps. No it's not very common for there to be any interference...so if your Pioneer has it, well, that's kind of why it's more known as the music store demo unit.

Passthrough on pure HPAs is mostly on older HPAs, and in the case of the AudioGD, they're out of space and just bet that if you're gonna upgrade the thing, it's far more likely you'd need to upgrade it because you need more power to drive a headphone, so they're the optional fixed level output because headphone amps don't come as separate preamp and pure amp boxes. if one comes in two boxes, the other unit is the power supply (or a desktop battery pack as on the more esoteric products), often in the same chassis as the amp (ex the WooAudio WA6se).

I have to say I love the look and design of the amplifier you have pics of, but that seems to only really be available in the USA.

AudioGD? They're made in China and the website has instructions on how to order from the US, EU, or anywhere else. And thanks to the Orange Overlord (and his replacement), these are punitively taxed in the US, so them being from China gets them a tax rate similar to what the EU would. But only because they're made in China.

Schiit though...those are made in the US. They have an EU distributor but throughout the human malware situation I've only ever seen people claiming the EU distributor doesn't have anything. If you're in the UK or Ireland, I'm not sure if there's already a separate UK dealer.

if you are in the EU and you can go with just an amp and no built in DAC, there's Meier Audio in Germany.

Still, there's the problem with how you want to hook things up because if these have any line outputs, they're preamp outputs.

Dec 10, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for all this information. There is a lot that is probably a bit much for me to taker in at times, but most of it is making me understand things better.

A response to a few of your points:

The interference in my A-209R is related to another cheap device i have plugged into one of the other phono inputs - some of the noise gets fed into it from that input when it is off and goes to the headphone output (and speakers - but not really noticeable on them) If I used the A-209R JUST for a headphone amplifier, I honestly think it would be great with the only negative being the size.

I think i need a better understanding of what a preamp output is. The line outputs on the devices I'm used to all behave the same way. On my FiiO X3 DAP, SMSL M3, Pioneer A-209r (REC out). They are all at the line level of the audio input or source and just basically a pass through. What is the difference with a preamp output?

I do have poor memory and also struggle to learn things, so it will take me time to understand a lot of this info.

If I was getting just an amplifier, I wouldn't actually need a phono output - what I could do is use a phono splitter and just use the line level signal going to my intergrated amplifier from the back of my M3. I already use a splitter at the moment for using my A3 and A-209R both from the line out of my M3.

The other option may be for me to buy the 32ohm premium DT880s. Am I likely to notice a deduction in sound quality with these - or infact notice just that they are much easier to drive, therefore sound better as I'm not having to push my current amplifiers hard.

Will obviously need to think carefully as I really love the sound of the DT880s and I wouldn't want the 32ohm to be obviously different, other than the driving ability. I believe what most say - if I had the equipment, I am sure I would be able to apprichiate the benefits of the 600ohm version, but hopefully, with what I have, I may be better off going for the 32ohm edition and selling these. What do you think?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/beyerdynam...refix=dt880+premium+32+ohm,aps,92&sr=8-2&th=1

They are not much and it would likely save me a lot of money.

I still however think i have a preference for a powerful phono amplifier, I'm just not sure what to look for that is easily available in the UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Ject-S...p/B076J4GNMJ/ref=psdc_199616031_t2_B073WDH4ZB

I at least do know a store local to me that has these in stock.

They also do a version with a DAC and all the inputs and outputs I need:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Ject-S...ds=pro-ject+head+box+s2&qid=1670697279&sr=8-2

But I don't know how well either would power my current DT880s.

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 22
I think i need a better understanding of what a preamp output is. The line outputs on the devices I'm used to all behave the same way. On my FiiO X3 DAP, SMSL M3, Pioneer A-209r (REC out). They are all at the line level of the audio input or source and just basically a pass through. What is the difference with a preamp output?

A line level output is what comes out of a CDP or DAC after it's been converted from digital. Similarly, what comes out of a phono preamp after it boosts what the needle reads is also line output but for an analogue source.
Preamp circuits, in simplistic terms, boost the voltage of the input signal ie the incoming line level signal from the source (if it's an active preamp; a passive preamp can only attenuate the signal) before it gets handed over to the amplifier stage that converts the voltage into watts - and also boosting the power (it's not a 1:1 conversion) that will then move a transducer.

In modern devices a variable output by default is more like a preamp output except the voltage level control is digital, but otherwise you have that single audio chip that has both the DAC and headphone driver, then in the case of some DAPs, a fixed line level output can just be a programmed setting where the volume setting will be fixed such that the output will be 2V.

The other option may be for me to buy the 32ohm premium DT880s. Am I likely to notice a deduction in sound quality with these - or infact notice just that they are much easier to drive, therefore sound better as I'm not having to push my current amplifiers hard.

Double check with Beyer to make sure they're the same sensitivity. If the sensitivity is lower, then depending on how much lower, it may just require more power, just that most amps deliver more power and usually sufficient power into low impedance loads.

Will obviously need to think carefully as I really love the sound of the DT880s and I wouldn't want the 32ohm to be obviously different, other than the driving ability. I believe what most say - if I had the equipment, I am sure I would be able to apprichiate the benefits of the 600ohm version, but hopefully, with what I have, I may be better off going for the 32ohm edition and selling these. What do you think?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/beyerdynamic-880-32-Ohm-Headphone/dp/B0024NK358/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3PEA13HLMC2S1&keywords=dt880+premium+32+ohm&qid=1670691403&sprefix=dt880+premium+32+ohm,aps,92&sr=8-2&th=1

They are not much and it would likely save me a lot of money.

There's only a small variance in sound between the different impedance versions of Beyer cans, save for something like the DT770's 80ohm version which has a skewed response and IIRC is used mainly by drummers or something.

What can make for a more dramatic shift in sound is the low impedance of the headphone interacting with a high output impedance amplifier. Note: this is NOT the same as having a high output at high impedance. I mean if the output impedance on the amp's headphone output is high and you connect a low impedance headphone, the damping factor ie how well the amp controls driver movement, gets totally screwed up. Think of it like this: even if you had an Audi with Quattro AWD, if you have bald tyres on them and drive over snow, you're gonna take a dive off the road. It's kinda like that, except you don't die. Hell some audiophiles deliberately use this instead of an equalizer for some reason.

Another thing: integrated amps or any other gear not really designed for headphones tend to have high output impedance on the headphone output, so your integrated amp is probably gonna have a bit of a problem.

I still however think i have a preference for a powerful phono amplifier, I'm just not sure what to look for that is easily available in the UK.

Since Arcam stopped making their headphone amps, double check with Schiit if they've got everything listed in stock.
https://www.schiit.co.uk/headphone-amps

I've only tried their much older line from around 2010 and for the price they were not spectacular. Like...the only reason to get them is because tariffs and shipping would make everything else more expensive (in my case, in Manila, even the Pro-Jects were expensive anyway, so they didn't gain traction here as people just went around getting AudioGD, Schiit, etc).

Dec 11, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 22
The Magni 3+ certainly looks affordable to be and would mean I wouldn't have to buy new headphones at least. However, that is out of stock, and I actually can't find it anywhere in the UK. I will see if i can look around for something with similar output levels at 300ohm and 600 ohm.

Just so I know, what would the result be if I plugged my A-209R into the phono output of the Magni 3+?

I have used my Pioneer A-209r with my 32 ohm AT ATH-AD700s. It surprisingly has pretty good control with the volume dial close to the bottom. No signs of channel imbalance or anything - just a bit sensitive. My A3 on high gain is difficult to use with these headphones as you can't listen to them quietly without channel imbalence and it is hard to get the volume where you want. But that is sorted by the gain switch. If that is similar with the DT880 32 ohm, then maybe I should go for them.

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 22
The Magni 3+ certainly looks affordable to be and would mean I wouldn't have to buy new headphones at least. However, that is out of stock, and I actually can't find it anywhere in the UK. I will see if i can look around for something with similar output levels at 300ohm and 600 ohm.

Just checked Schiit's page. Magni3 is already on close out and will be replaced by the Magni+. You could wait for the UK distributor to get that there.

Magnius is in stock but that's a balanced drive amp and not that far off the price of the Asgard. If you're gonna wait for the Magni+ and the Asgard3 gets restocked at the same time I'd recommend the Asgard over the Magni and Magnius as it gets a fair bit more power at all impedance loads.

Just so I know, what would the result be if I plugged my A-209R into the phono output of the Magni 3+?

I have used my Pioneer A-209r with my 32 ohm AT ATH-AD700s. It surprisingly has pretty good control with the volume dial close to the bottom. No signs of channel imbalance or anything - just a bit sensitive. My A3 on high gain is difficult to use with these headphones as you can't listen to them quietly without channel imbalence and it is hard to get the volume where you want. But that is sorted by the gain switch. If that is similar with the DT880 32 ohm, then maybe I should go for them.

You'll have two preamps in the same chain - the Magni's and the A-209R's. You'll have to try and set the gain structure and use only one of them as the master volume control when you're using speakers.

I'd still avoid doing this as much as possible not just out of the extra effort but it's really problematic. Any preamp or amp can add some noise in the chain, even the good ones. If anything at least it tends to be less noticeable on speakers, but when I do this to a speaker system like in a car for example (the main preamp will be the receiver or DSP unit if it has a dash DIN-/wheel-mounted control) it's because the amp has gain control built in to compensate for how some receivers can have as low as 1.8V to as high as 8.3V.

Do you mean you use the A3 as a DAC+Preamp feeding the A209R, and at high gain it's hard to use the A-209R as a headphone amp?

You need to lower the gain and volume setting on the A3.

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #11 of 22
I'll try and make it clear what my current setup is for when I listen to music:

PC > SMSL M3 VIA USB

SMSL M3 Phono Line out > Phono splitter > A3 (via 3.5mm) and Pioneer A-209R (via Phono)

The A3 is what I use for headphones and the A-209R with a pair passive JBL Control 1s.

There are 2 reasons I don't use the A-209R for headphones. One, it is on the other side of my room as it is too big for my desk, and two, as I have two input devices (also a very cheap TV tuner, that introduces a slight noise to all the other inputs. Not noticeable via speakers but very bad with headphones. If it just has one clean input, it interestingly does a great job at being a headphone amplifier, plus has the nice features of bass, treble and loudness when direct is off.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/topping-l30ii-desktop-headphone-amp-black

Just looking around, this one also looks suitable. This claims to be 560mWx2@300Ω from the specifications, which looks a little more powerful than the Magni3+.

But, from my limited understanding, does this likely mean it also will be louder or equal for 600ohm?

This amplifier has the controls on the front, which is a pretty strong preference.

I think I would see the benefit of being able to control my A-209R from this. I currently use a remote and it would be nice to be able to use a dial again. Will just need to get used to the switch. I assume I would just switch it to PRE for when I want to listen to speakers and HPO for headphones.

If this has the issue of basically being amplified twice, then i can use the method I currently do and use a phono splitter out the back of my M3.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 22
I'll try and make it clear what my current setup is for when I listen to music:

PC > SMSL M3 VIA USB

SMSL M3 Phono Line out > Phono splitter > A3 (via 3.5mm) and Pioneer A-209R (via Phono)

The A3 is what I use for headphones and the A-209R with a pair passive JBL Control 1s.

There are 2 reasons I don't use the A-209R for headphones. One, it is on the other side of my room as it is too big for my desk, and two, as I have two input devices (also a very cheap TV tuner, that introduces a slight noise to all the other inputs. Not noticeable via speakers but very bad with headphones. If it just has one clean input, it interestingly does a great job at being a headphone amplifier, plus has the nice features of bass, treble and loudness when direct is off.

Alright so do you get loud enough on the SMSL M3 without any noise or automatically bad distortion, if at least on low gain? Because if not maybe you don't have to rush upgrading that.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/topping-l30ii-desktop-headphone-amp-black

Just looking around, this one also looks suitable. This claims to be 560mWx2@300Ω from the specifications, which looks a little more powerful than the Magni3+.

But, from my limited understanding, does this likely mean it also will be louder or equal for 600ohm?

No way to tell without anyone testing it or Topping releasing the data.

It doesn't say what the output power is, and even if you have a pretty good reference based on quoted figures like how the power consistently halves as you double the impedance, even then that's an educated guess because the numbers have to be approximate (ie you can't multiply 32 by 2 multiple times to get 300) and not all amps will maintain the same power curve.

As an example, look at how the old Schiit Asgard2 and Lyr2 models deliver power. IIRC the Asgard2 does 1500mW into 32ohms, then something like 350mW into 300ohms. By contrast the Lyr2 does 3500mW into 32ohms, then drops to 450mW into 300ohms. Basically the Lyr2's output trails off a lot sharper than the Asgard, just that it still has more power. I don't remember if either had a 600ohm rating though.

This amplifier has the controls on the front, which is a pretty strong preference.

I think I would see the benefit of being able to control my A-209R from this. I currently use a remote and it would be nice to be able to use a dial again. Will just need to get used to the switch. I assume I would just switch it to PRE for when I want to listen to speakers and HPO for headphones.

You could do that, or maybe if the M3 otherwise works fine on low gain why not just save up and get a DAC-HPamp-Preamp unit with a fixed level output to the amp or get a power amp (ie just the power amp) to drive the speakers with and still use the DAC+HPA+Pre to control the output on the speakers. Those higher range AudioGD units also have optional remote controls.

Alternately...does the A-209R have an amp direct input? If it does and you can route all your sources through the DAC (ie you don't have a TT for example) then the M3 can act as the preamp for the speakers as well without having two preamps in the chain, basically turning the integrated amp into a power amp.

If this has the issue of basically being amplified twice, then i can use the method I currently do and use a phono splitter out the back of my M3.

It won't be fully amplified twice, just that there are going to be two preamp stages affecting the signal voltage that gets to the amplifier stage.

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 22
The M3 doesn't have any gain switch, and it isn't loud enough for the DT880s. The A3 on high gain, is about loud enough for the DT880s, but does start to distort at higher volumes. My A3 and M3 are both fine for my other headphones.

I'm seeing two lots of information about the output of the topping amp:

Output Level14Vpp(low gain), 31Vpp(mid gain), 37Vpp(high gain)

Output Power3.5Wx2@16Ω, 2.7Wx2@32Ω, 2Wx2@64Ω, 560mWx2@300Ω

My A3 output claims to be this at 32 ohms: 270 mW (32 Ω/THD+N<1%).

Based on this, I would still assume this should comfortably drive my DT880s.

My A-209R just has Phono inputs. I could just have one input yes, which would reduce noise on my speakers (which I don't really notice), but I require to be able to switch this input with a remote, so I don't want to change this one.

The pictures on Amazon UK have pictures of the Topping L30II with the DT880s. While I can't be sure they are the 600ohm version, the specs to me suggest they should drive them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOPPING-L3...54-5784fc7efb0b&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #14 of 22
The M3 doesn't have any gain switch, and it isn't loud enough for the DT880s. The A3 on high gain, is about loud enough for the DT880s, but does start to distort at higher volumes. My A3 and M3 are both fine for my other headphones.

Alright so it's just the A-209R that's got some kind of a high gain issue on the DT880.

The A3 though I definitely wouldn't really use for a high impedance headphone (more so at 600ohms) given it runs off a battery, and a small one at that.

I'm seeing two lots of information about the output of the topping amp:

Output Level14Vpp(low gain), 31Vpp(mid gain), 37Vpp(high gain)

Output Power3.5Wx2@16Ω, 2.7Wx2@32Ω, 2Wx2@64Ω, 560mWx2@300Ω

The first line is in voltage. It tells you that, best case at high gain (ie highest voltage input signal) the voltage swing is 37V, peak to peak. It's not that it shoots up to 37V, it means that it swings from 18.5V to -18.5V when moving the driver. if you calculate for power, peak voltage would be closer to 18.5V.

The second is in watts/miliwatts. You computer this using voltage, current, and impedance....normally. Since they didn't give the current delivery rating you can just compute backwards, but really there's no point. You know the more important spec ie how much power does it put out at 16ohm, 32ohm, and 300ohm...save for the most important spec for your particular application, ie, power at 600ohm.

My A3 output claims to be this at 32 ohms: 270 mW (32 Ω/THD+N<1%).

Based on this, I would still assume this should comfortably drive my DT880s.

"Should" but there are a lot of caveats here. Like if power nosedives far enough above 300ohms, and given every 3dB of appreciable loudness is made possible by doubling the input power (and 10dB being what humans perceive to be the double the loudness, meaning you need 8.33X the power just to be significantly louder than the A3, then you might not even have enough power to keep the signal from clipping if you want it to be noticeably louder overall than the A3.

I'm not saying the power rating isn't there because it definitely nosedives. I'm just saying that not sounding that much louder before it distorts or clips can be a possibility.

The pictures on Amazon UK have pictures of the Topping L30II with the DT880s. While I can't be sure they are the 600ohm version, the specs to me suggest they should drive them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOPPING-L3...54-5784fc7efb0b&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

I wouldn't go with that sort of marketing material. Numbers at least can be verified by reviewers, and you can overbuy a little bit based on that to get around whether whoever tested it said it was loud enough for them but might not be for you.

It's like when a 4cyl sport sedan chassis is photographed going through a corner with the background being all motion-blur, which is something you do with the camera...and then when you get it the turbocharger and the that engine together might be too small to be as fast as you'd like when overtaking or the turbo is too small to compensate for the altitude of some roads you might regularly drive on, it's not fast enough for track day laps with your local auto club, maybe the suspension's a bit too soft too (although you can more easily tweak this yourself, albeit requiring you to buy new springs if not shocks too).

Or like when you see a "Japanese-style knife" with a Chinese (or Anglicized) brand name on Amazon with a photo of a guy cutting fish, but unlike a real Japanese fillet knives it doesn't actually have the correct geometries (not gonna get into that but trust me it has very unique quirks to the design that actually does something) or the steel isn't stiff enough to take on an edge finer than the polymer string some ramen shops use to cut softboiled eggs.

If such marketing materials make sense it'd be when they show an amp with a Stax Omega. Not that it automatically means it'd be utterly awesome with the Omega, but it just means you shouldn't even bother looking at it if you don't use electrostatic headphones because these use much, much higher voltage compared to every other kind of transducer.

That said if it was available from Amazon UK I'd say it's probably worth a shot, but as it is it's got that other bit that's a problem: you're gonna have to get them from third party sellers. If you can sort out their return policy and you're OK with those then I guess it should be OK.

Dec 12, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #15 of 22
Yes, regarding battery, I run the A3 off a 5000mah power bank! I love the design and feel of it and the bass boost is at a nice frequency (probably around 70hz) but I could do without that.

It may be something I said, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by a high gain issue with my DT880s and A-209R. If I had the space on my desk for the A-209R and I just used 1 input and a good DAC, it would actually be superb for my DT880s.

I should add that I once tried Fiio A5 and returned it. This was due to my dissapointment that it was only every so slightly louder than my A3 (though it didn't distort as much). But this is where i had my misunderstanding of how small differences can be with such high impedance headphones can be.

This is the supposed output power for the A5:

>800 mW (32 Ω/THD<1%)
≥ 150mW(300Ω/THD<1%)

Compared to my A3:
270 mW (32 Ω/THD+N<1%).

At 32ohm, the difference probably was pretty big, but as you say, if the power difference needs to be that significant to make 600ohm headphones much easier to drive, then it makes sense why i was dissapointed with the A5.

If the A5 was 150mW at 300Ω (and probably nearly powerful enough), then the topping at 560mWx2@300Ω hopefully should be a fair bit louder. I don't exactly want the volume to be much louder, I just want it to have the ability to go slightly louder so it doesn't struggle at all and sound like it is clipping / distorting. That is the issue I have with the A3, and not so much the volume, though I sometimes want a little louder.

I will need to do more research to understand how to roughly calculate how to work this stuff out, as you say, as my headphones are 600ohm, even though the difference at 300ohm looks big, I assume that difference will drop a great deal.

I wonder if topping would be able to answer such questions if you ask them about the output at 600ohms?

Sorry if I keep repeating myself. It takes a while for this info to make sense to me (I still don't understand it all!). But it has been really helpful the way you have been replying by splitting the quotes up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back