Desktop DAC/Amp/Pre around $300:New Matrix, Parasound or Other?
Jul 12, 2016 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SVO

New Head-Fier
Looking for a DAC/Amp to drive various headphones (none overly hungry) and a pair of powered studio monitors.  Finalists are the new Matrix HPA-2 Classic and the Parasound ZDAC V2 (on sale for $300).  I listen to speakers more than phones. The Parasound has a lot more connections but I owned a Matrix before and really liked it.  Anyone heard both?

Jul 17, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 11
iFi iDAC2.  

I don't think there is really anything better at this price point, and I have heard quite a few.   Granted not EVERYTHING, haha, but this will best the LH, Audioquest and Meridian stuff at similar pricing.  

Just my two cents.  

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 11
  iFi iDAC2.  

I don't think there is really anything better at this price point, and I have heard quite a few.   Granted not EVERYTHING, haha, but this will best the LH, Audioquest and Meridian stuff at similar pricing.  

Just my two cents.  

As a practical matter having line level outputs on the front of the device is going to add desktop clutter.  Also, I really prefer a full-sized phone jack.  But it sure does garner great reviews.

Jul 18, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 11
Not that I want to advocate for Audio GD products, but:

iFi iDAC2 350$

Audio GD NFB 11 325$

You decide how your hard earned money is better spent

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Audio GD for sure has one of the best looking inside in the Dac business. Is there any House sound in the Audio GD DAC's i've never had or heard any Audio GD device.

Jul 24, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 11
Don't think Audio GD have a 'house' sound. Their products using the Wolfson DACs were described as musical, while their new ones with the ES9018 are described as transparent. 

I have the first Compass and am very happy with it but it is time to upgrade to something that can do 192khz and DSD, so I have my eyes on the Nfb 11. Been researching for a while and I don't think at this price point you can beat the quality.

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 11
I currently have a schiit Bifrost Uber, and recently tried out a Parasound Zdac v2.
I couldn't warm up to it. The Parasound sounded more punchy and upfront but not in a completely natural way. It did seem to image better.
The high end was not as clean as the Bifrost and not as nuanced as the Bifrost. The Bifrost sounds much more real to me in my system. I'd buy a Schiit dac and be done. Digital has become much better over the last few years. I built a DIY dac prior to this with a transformer outputs which sounded very good. The Bifrost dac sounds even better. I was surprised. The current Schiit dac uses a better chip so it should sound even better.
I sent the Parasound back. Was hoping it would sound better than the Schiit.

Aug 1, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 11
I currently have a schiit Bifrost Uber, and recently tried out a Parasound Zdac v2.
I couldn't warm up to it. The Parasound sounded more punchy and upfront but not in a completely natural way. It did seem to image better.
The high end was not as clean as the Bifrost and not as nuanced as the Bifrost. The Bifrost sounds much more real to me in my system. I'd buy a Schiit dac and be done. Digital has become much better over the last few years. I built a DIY dac prior to this with a transformer outputs which sounded very good. The Bifrost dac sounds even better. I was surprised. The current Schiit dac uses a better chip so it should sound even better.
I sent the Parasound back. Was hoping it would sound better than the Schiit.
Well, i just ordered the Zdac v2.Was thinking about the Bifrost Multibit too, but i got a good deal for the Zdac.For what its worth, i think either Bifrost or the Zdac will be better than my Fiio e10k. And i can use the balanced inputs of my speakers with it.From the reviews i read about the Zdac, some people liked it better than the Bifrost, some chose the Bifrost over the Zdac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back