Desktop Balanced - with or without stepped attenuator?
Jun 14, 2008 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Hi all,

I'm pretty close to buying a HeadRoom Desktop Balanced amp with DAC, but I'm still going back and forth about the stepped attenuator. I know that it's supposed to make a difference, but how much difference? It's another $300 (or close to it), and I'm not sure that I want to drop the extra cash right now.

Does anyone feel strongly one way or the other about the stepped attenuator?

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 17
I have the HR Home MAX (SE) with stepped attenuator and find the clicking to be a pain with headphones. Since I got it with the unit, I have no way of knowing how much the SQ would be impacted without it. I guess it comes down to some like it and some do not. Again, while I love this amp, I do not like the clicking and popping sound in my ears every time I adjust the volume.

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 17
I think it's one of those situations where if you won't miss the cash, you should get it. I did not get it when I owned the DB, but for the several weeks I had it I did notice something about the pot. If left alone for a while it would sort of stick in its position. I would think that if you plan on keeping the amp for a long while, you might consider the upgrade. There must be a reason why top-tier amps use either stepped attenuators or gold pots, right? I sure hope so.

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 17
I strongly dislike stepped attenuators. They usually have too big steps, especially in the lower volumes.
I never heard the same amp with steps and pot side by side, so I can't comment on the sq difference, if there is any.

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 17
Well, like the others, I haven't heard a comparison between my HR Desktop Balanced stepped vs. unstepped, but FWIW, I can't imagine the $300 delta would offer appreciable gains given its already stellar performance.

I'd rather take the three Benjis and put it towards a balanced AKG701!

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone feel strongly one way or the other about the stepped attenuator?

I hate to be the one to give this answer, but typically this is a matter of personal preference. In the past I've been a big SA fan, but since I've gotten my Wheatfield, I've enjoyed the smoothness of a standard pot. Soundwise its darn near impossible to compare the two, unless you have two identical amps side my side with the respective pots, so to me it all comes down to tactile feel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rather take the three Benjis and put it towards a balanced HD650!

fixed that for you.
wink.gif

But for the most part I agree with deadie. Some nice cans could be had for that amount of cash, or for that matter a stack of albums.

If today I purchased an HR Desktop, I would personally not opt for the SA.

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 17
I borrowed a Desktop Balanced w/ stepped attenuator for a couple of weeks and I liked the stepped action, though I don't think I'd like it on all my amps. I can't comment on SQ really, but if a regular pot is a little fuzzier, I really don't think that would be a negative for the uber clear Desktop.

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 17
I have a Desktop Balanced on order and thought a fair bit about whether to spring for the SA before deciding on the standard ALPS pot. My previous preamp had dual SAs and I was never able to dial them in properly for low-level listening, despite their superior channel balance compared to a pot between 6 and 9. I appreciate that there may also be sonic advantages and that the gain switches help with fine-tuning and the feel of the Headroom SA is really nice. For me, not worth it at the time of ordering but if cost were no object then...maybe.

o

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's one of those situations where if you won't miss the cash, you should get it. I did not get it when I owned the DB, but for the several weeks I had it I did notice something about the pot. If left alone for a while it would sort of stick in its position. I would think that if you plan on keeping the amp for a long while, you might consider the upgrade. There must be a reason why top-tier amps use either stepped attenuators or gold pots, right? I sure hope so.

I agree with this whole heartedly. The stepped attenuators can be a bit cumbersome in terms of the "stepping" through the volume levels but every headphone amplifier I've owned, that had SA's had a much quiter volume control.

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 17
I have the Desktop Max/Max with stepped attenuator and was very concerned when deciding at the time of purchase. Others have spoken about popping or clicking when turning the volume, all I can say is I don't get anything at all except the volume rising or decreasing - no pops or clicks. The volume differences I found to be no issue between steps and have been very happy with my decision. The values used by Headroom are well conceived and small. It all comes down to the perceived value of the unit, if you can afford it then by all means. I would guess that the difference between the pot and stepped attenuator would be very small in SQ. My reckoning was that since I chose the Max/Max variant then I would get maximum SQ by use of the stepped attenuator. Would I get it again if buying, absolutely.

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #11 of 17
I gave this a lot of thought as well before i bought mine in april, and something makes me think it was only $199 then.

I read everything i could find about the SA with the main benefit i could see being mostly for to low volume listeners where it cures the slight L/R imbalance.

A few users found it difficult to find a perfect listening level. One click more was too loud and one click less was not loud enough. Fair enough some might argue that's what the gain switch is for, but i'm sure it would get tire sum having to select a different level of gain depending on track let alone headphone choice

I for one am glad i went for the std pot. I find it very smooth and precise no matter what gain setting and intend to put the money i saved towards the DPS instead.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rather take the three Benjis and put it towards ____________

Yeah, The stepped is the ultimate way of doing it, but it's only a very small improvement over the pot. If you've got cash ... lots and lots of cash --- the stepped is nice. Otherwise, buy music!

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 17
I have the Alps RK50 pot in my 2007 Max Dac (same one in my sig).... also have 2001 Max with Stepped Att, they both are great amps I see much better control with the RK50 potentiometer, the stepped att sometimes can be a bit noisy I guess being spoiled by the RK50 pots sliky smooth response for that reason I rarely use the Max 2001 Stepped Att..I would suggest going with the variable potentiometer vs Stepped Att..and if you can swing it go for the RK50 bar none there is nothing like it...

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the HR Home MAX (SE) with stepped attenuator and find the clicking to be a pain with headphones. Since I got it with the unit, I have no way of knowing how much the SQ would be impacted without it. I guess it comes down to some like it and some do not. Again, while I love this amp, I do not like the clicking and popping sound in my ears every time I adjust the volume.

Hello Dan,

The 'popping/clicking' sounds on your stepped attenuator are NOT normal so i'm concerned there's likely something up with the potentiometer that can be quickly repaired here at the plant under the Home Amp's 5-year warranty [or fixed for a nominal labor fee if the unit is out-of-warranty]
redface.gif

Please contact us via telephone during biz hours (m-f; 9-5pm Mountain Time)or send an email directly to HeadRoom Service Manager Mike Olson [mikeo@headphone.com] for prompt attention to the issue. We'll get that volume pot back to dead-silent operation pronto!

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Users who are viewing this thread

Back