Desktop amp in the $200-$350 range... to go with AKG K601s
Jan 19, 2008 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Foe-hammer

100+ Head-Fier
I'm in the process of looking for a good desktop amp in the $200-$350 range. $200 preferably. My previous amps have been portable ones - rockhopper mini3 and pa2v2. I'm looking for something with more "umph".

The amp is to go along with AKG K601s.

I'm looking for something that has the best sound stage (no closed, canned sound), and great mids. Good bass impact would be nice too.

The amp will go along with my 5.1 DD, DTS, Dolby headphone receiver. I'll mainly be using it for gaming and movies, but music will also be used.

The 4 amps that i'm considering, are the:

1) Gilmore lite @ $350

2) Creek OBH-21 @ $250

3) Rockhopper MKK3 @ $300

4) Original Electronics Master Headphone Amplifier @ $160

I'm not familiar with the differences between solid state and tube amps, so either is a welcome option.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 18
Anyone?

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 18
Wish i could get an original master but no one seems to have the 220v version for sale, it seems like a really good budget amp, from what i've gathered from head-fi and other reviews it got the thumbs up. Not much info about this one though.

The gilmore lite is a very popular amp, people really seem to like it round here, check the review in the review section.

I can't give any info myself as i'm pretty new to headphones and amps but thats what my research picked up.

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the Rockhopper CKK3.

Any other recommendations?

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 18
I'm looking for something similar, though instead I'm using the K701s. It's really hard to get recommendations out of people here though
tongue.gif
- Even so, might not end up liking someone's recommendation. Still probably better than none. Why are you leaning towards the rockhopper? I've never even heard of any of those amps, if that tells you where my knowledge level is
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 18
I would look for a used Meier HeadFive if I were you. $200 shipped is about the right price, and I am blown away by the sound/dollar with mine. It is warm and tubey sounding, which should mate with the 601s I think.

Another good one is a DarkVoice 336i tube amp with about $30-40 in upgraded RCA tubes for Preamp and Power. Even the best tubes will only be $80 for a set. A new one is closer to the $350 after shipping and upgraded tubes.

I haven't heard the Meier Arietta - it is supposed to be great for $255 but not as warm as the HeadFive.

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 18
Thanks guys for the advice/recommendations.

The Meier HeadFive sound like the perfect amp for me, especially at that great price. I just need to find one used... does anyone want to sell theirs? lol

The Shanling PH100 sound good, but there is very little info here on them.

Jan 20, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys for the advice/recommendations.

The Meier HeadFive sound like the perfect amp for me, especially at that great price. I just need to find one used... does anyone want to sell theirs? lol

The Shanling PH100 sound good, but there is very little info here on them.

You could ask some of the people on the HeadFive serial number list, just don't ask me
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/hea...2/#post2025551

I don't think I will ever sell mine though.

Jan 20, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Normality /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even then, it does have to be a much better amp than the comparably priced Meier's. I would go straight with it (but it's your own choice).

Is there any info and reviews on the Shanling PH100?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look at my signature

What exactly am i looking for?... I see the Yarland P100, how is that amp comparatively?

Again thanks all for the help...

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 18
Yarland would be comparable to the DarkVoice 336i. Skylab reviewed the Yarland, was going to keep it, but later bought a 336i and sold the Yarland. Then he moved up to a DarkVoice 337.

When I asked Skylab for his recommendations in the $300 price range, he told me to get the DarkVoice 336i, I did and I am happy with that choice.

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yarland would be comparable to the DarkVoice 336i. Skylab reviewed the Yarland, was going to keep it, but later bought a 336i and sold the Yarland. Then he moved up to a DarkVoice 337.

When I asked Skylab for his recommendations in the $300 price range, he told me to get the DarkVoice 336i, I did and I am happy with that choice.

Yeah, I absolutely love mine. One of the best big purchases I've ever made.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #15 of 18
Both the DarkVoice 336i and Little Dot MkII sound very nice, but i'm beginning to realize that Tube based amps might not be the way to go for me. The reason being, i need a desktop amp that is somewhat portable (easily moved between two residences), with tubes on top, i'd think it would make it too bulky, and easy to break.

The three amps that i'm considering now, are:

1) Headfive

2) CI VHP-2

3) Rockhopper MKK3

The VHP-2 has me really interested. But i'd like to keep the cost at $350 and under, rather then the retail price of $400.

Hmmm... decisions, decisions. lol

More recommendations and advice is much welcomed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back