Desktop Amp/Dac with Denon AH-D7000
Nov 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

earIEMusik

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I recently purchased a pair of Denon AH-D7000, my first pair of High end Headphones (when i started researching i was amazed at the price of earphones at Cnet, $270 for Monster Earphones!! Then after deciding i had wanted to purchase a pair, i mistakenly stumbled upon these forums for more information. Now i am dropping $1300 on Headphones and an Amp/Dac LOL!) Back to the point, I have studied this site for the best pair of Headphones for 3 weeks now, and have had to take breaks to keep sane :wink:. So, before i went crazy i called Onecall and got the D7000's for $700, just had to finally pull the trigger (i've read about every post about the best rap/techno/dubstep cans, reading every positive and negative and finally came to the conclusion i needed to just buy a pair for myself. It was the D2000's first, but for only $100 more...you get the point :).) 

So, i have narrowed my choice for an Desktop Amp/Dac combo that pairs well with these cans, for since i dropped so much on the cans them self, i am looking to spend around $500. My choice is the Matrix M-Stage and Matrix Cube.

What i am looking for is some reassurance that this is a good pairing, i have read so many threads, that i just want a final answer and i am hoping you can do this for me please!!!!! Also, i am not too familiar with the cords needed to connect these two units together, and my T.v/Laptop to allow listening for movies/games also, i don't want everything delivered and i am missing something :frowning2:.

Thanks SO Much!!!!! 

p.s. Thank a million to all those who write reviews and contribute their thoughts!!!! Amazing! I would have never been able to pursue this hobby without you!!!! Also, they are not lying when they say "sorry about your wallet" HAH!

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 11
That should make for a excellent combination.  Have you considered Yulong's D100?  Project86 has an excellent and very informative review of it.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 11
I am not familiar with the amp or source you are planing on for $500. I will tell you that it is all relative in audio so you need a comparable top of the line amp and music source for your 7000's. You might actually get a less musical-toe tapping experience from top level gear because it becomes so critical and dependant on the recordings (everything is revealed in the chain). All I am saying is don't skimp in the chain or step it all down notch. I like my Headroom Bithead/Klipsch @ work in a different way that I like my MAX/Grado-Denon @ home.

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 11
My advice is enjoy the D7000's stock.  They are very good without any amp you can really enjoy them without an amp.  Maybe when/if you get bored and all that cash in your pocket is just itching to be spent, then go ahead and look at amps.  If you absolutely must get an amp this second, then definitely get a DAC too.  I have the older M-stage without the DAC portion and it is not that great compared to a simple FiiO E5 ($20 on ebay) where as the NFB-12 with the right filter (sucked stock) setting was impressive.  I also listen to the same type of music as you.  A stock D7000 with my laptop had a crazy ton of bass which made them really fun.  Adding an amp/DAC will decrease the bass, but make it more much controlled and tight, with slight improved detail and and some improved soundstage.  Those are the basic differences you'd be getting with another $500.  Bottomline is, enjoy them as much as you can!  You can always upgrade later on.  

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 11
The D100 is my favorite pairing with the D7000 I've heard. The E9 isn't a bad choice either. Being easy to drive and loving SS amps they're a great match. 

I didn't like my time with the Denons on tubes, and that includes hybrids like the Lyr, CLF, and Peachtree Decco2.

Quote:
That should make for a excellent combination.  Have you considered Yulong's D100?  Project86 has an excellent and very informative review of it.

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 11
I love my new D5000's with a Headroom Max. I think a good amp is key in them sounding right. I have read on the forum they have a "farty" bass until modified and that is not what I am experiencing. Nothing but sheer enjoyment with thight and defined nuances everywhere, Whatever......

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 11
Have you considered any of the offerings from Audio-Gd?

The NFB-10SE is a great value at $500, and the solid state Audio-Gd Amps are known to be good matches for Denon. I love my Modded D2000's with the Audio-gd NFB-3 and C2.2.

Ps. It also has balanced inputs/outputs so you can go balanced in the future if you want to.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 11
I currently use the Denon D5000 which I absolutely love after owning many headphones in the past and you shouldn't wish for much more or go wrong. I use them with the older Headroom MAX and love the combination and I purchased an HRT iPhone streamer that works very nicely with the combo. I see the older Headroom Maxed out home and MAX for sale periodically and you could get outstanding performance for $500 or less. Good luck on your journey and search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back