Desktop Amp/DAC (+ Bass Boost) for PSB M4U1?
May 23, 2013 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

deviot

New Head-Fier
Recently got a set of PSB M4U1 and now after a amp to improve it.

I use a iMac playing flac files via VOX. So I believe my best call is to get not just a amp but also a dac. Dosen't need to be portable so hopefully that should save some money vs portable ones.

Went to 'Jaben Audio' in Melbourne, Aus today and tried there 'Hippo CriCri Headphone Amplifier' and with bass boost on realised these headphones sounds even better with more bass. Tried a 'Furutech ADL Cruise Portable Headphone Amplifier & DAC' while sounding good was missing the extra bass I liked from smaller amp. Also tried a Desktop Go-Vibe DAC/Amp sounded good but found the bass boost wasn't as good as the smaller amp.

I would say just after a good value for money DAC/Amp to match my headphones but with a really good bass boosting feature. The Hippo comes in a version with a DAC but was after opinions on spending more money. 

I like the idea of a tube amp and they also look great :) so willing to look into them but not sure what is good or if that is the type of amp i'm after. Budget is flexable just not too sure if it really worth spending too much on a awesome amp to drive a $300 pair of headphones.

Let me know what you think or suggest some ideas and i'll do more research into the type/brands of amps.

Thanks,
Devon

May 23, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 5
Since your headphones only have a 32Ω impedance, you don't really need a powerful amp to drive them. Most audiophile level amps do not have EQ controls of any kind. If you want something like that then your options are to pick up either a FiiO E17 or E07K (both have built in bass and treble controls) or pick up the Schiit Magni/Modi stack and use a software EQ to increase the low end frequencies. 

May 23, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 5
I've tried using the built in software EQ (and yes I understand how to use it) but it just always ends up distorted, will this change with a DAC/Amp? Just a bit cautious hence why the idea of a hardware EQ/bass boost. 

May 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I've tried using the built in software EQ (and yes I understand how to use it) but it just always ends up distorted, will this change with a DAC/Amp? Just a bit cautious hence why the idea of a hardware EQ/bass boost. 

The distortion would most likely go away with a DAC/amp stack. Which EQ software and media player are you using?

May 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Hmmm OK, I guess that makes sense. Just weird that even slight changes in the EQ makes things sounds like ****. Were are the bass boost on the Hippo was different.

Was using the built in EQ in Vox but also had the same results in using the one in Clementine.

I guess if I was to use the software EQ it opens me up to more DAC/Amp's even tubes ones like Aune T1 (Love the look of it!) just a bit nervous if it will fill my bass requirements.

EDIT: Setup to use apple AU Labs & Soundflower and EQ is about 100 times better! So this is looking more and more like a good option. Now to pick between something like the Schiit Magni/Modi stack or the Aune T1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back