Desire for Great Audio with future improvements
Nov 6, 2012 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

willp098

New Head-Fier
So I apologize in advance for my lack of flow, my thought process is jumbled and misinformed at best.

So I want a great sound system starting off at around $600. It would be powered by my computer (Spotify, love that ****) and would be used at tailgates and fraternity parties. When not in use it would stay in my dorm. Now knowing the purpose I would like to have a bit above the basics where I can either buy better or more speakers in the future. So I guess i would want an above average receiver and OK speakers. A sub-woofer(s) is required. Can someone give me some products to work with? 

Thank you so much,

Will Powell

P.S. I will appreciate if people would give me complete recommendations, i.e. give me receivers, speakers, and all necessary accessories. I am a bit new to this type of speaker but intelligent enough to figure it out with minimal help. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 7
Research  active speakers ,It fits youre needs perfectly it will make youre life less complicated because you wont need to manage much cables and youll have better sound than  sepaarates ..Im selling my  set of nht m00 nht powered speakers nht sells a subwoofer that goes along with them. Read the reviews on this system

read this thread also about active monitors. http://www.AudioAsylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=speakers&m=320689m

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 7
So I apologize in advance for my lack of flow, my thought process is jumbled and misinformed at best.

So I want a great sound system starting off at around $600. It would be powered by my computer (Spotify, love that ****) and would be used at tailgates and fraternity parties. When not in use it would stay in my dorm. Now knowing the purpose I would like to have a bit above the basics where I can either buy better or more speakers in the future. So I guess i would want an above average receiver and OK speakers. A sub-woofer(s) is required. Can someone give me some products to work with? 

Thank you so much,

Will Powell

P.S. I will appreciate if people would give me complete recommendations, i.e. give me receivers, speakers, and all necessary accessories. I am a bit new to this type of speaker but intelligent enough to figure it out with minimal help. 

Honestly I'm gonna tell you to forego a sub, because it'll be worthless outdoors, and if you just want to get banger loud, it doesn't matter (and more directly, you don't have the budget to do that right). Next, I'm going to steer you towards CerwinVega and encourage you to go find a receiver at a thrift shop or something - spend ~$50 on some ancient 70's or 80's relic that can deliver 50-100wpc and that is in decent working order, and spend a few hundred bucks on a pair of CVs, and you should be good to go.

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 7
So i was just contacted by my mother and she has 2 Bowers and Wilkins speakers she never uses and is willing to give them to me. They are roughly 6 years old. Is that too old enough for speakers or should I grab them and spend more of my budget of the receiver?

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 7
So far I have this. I would like critics with my new $700 budget.

[size=1.7em] $135     Pyle P1002AI 1000 Watts Hybrid Receiver and Pre-Amplifier with AM-FM Tuner/iPod Docking Station [/size]
[size=1.7em] $279     Cerwin Vega! VE-12 12" 3-Way Tower Speaker[/size]
[size=1.7em]    x2[/size]
[size=1.7em] ____[/size]
[size=1.7em] Total $693[/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]
[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back