Designing a new computer desk
Aug 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

z999

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm getting a new computer desk for my graduation, it will be custom made so I can design it however I like. I've been thinking about it and the two things that annoy me the most about the desk I'm using right now are the acoustics and ergonomics, obviously you can't help me design a desk for ergonomics (I'll consult someone else about that) but acoustics wise...
I'm planning on getting a new pair of speakers, something in the likes of the audioengine a2 or the microlab solo 7c (6c?). I was looking for advice and tips on the positioning of the speakers, how far should they be from the wall, each other, me and how to angle them. Also what stand should I use and any other tips and advice on designing a computer desk that I haven't thought of.
Thanks, Ziv :)

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #2 of 4
Acoustics are tricky. They'll depend on the speakers and the shape of your room. The only thing I can say is to make sure the desk is deep enough that you can pull speakers away from the wall without it interfering with your workspace.

What are you considering for the custom desk? A friend made one I loved. He bought an antique hardwood door from an architectural salvage shop. He refinished it, then dropped a heavy piece of glass over it. Very cool. I don't know if that's your style, but his desk was gorgeous.

I work on an early 1950s mint green metallic steel tanker desk. My grandparents had it outside for years, and now I've inherited it. Needed a good cleaning (with a hose) but it was outside here in Arizona and held up well.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 4

I'm thinking of something more mainstream, laminated wood kind of desk, maybe in black.
My room isn't very big, minus the closet and the doorway I've got a 2.4x2.7 meters room, of which a 1m wide bad is taking a cut off the larger size making my space a 2.4x1.7... my current desk has a beehive on top of it (I hope that's what it's called in english, it's a bunch of open boxes for storage) which severely limits the location of screens and speakers (screens because it's too low and speakers because it creates an echo and pretty bad sound). I was thinking of something in the likes of a rectangular 80-90cm by unknown with a couple of drawers below it. Also I was thinking of getting the microlab solo 6c or solo 7c, and it's important to note I have 2 monitors, one 22" and one 19" (which I'll upgrade some day).
What are your recommendations? like I said what I have in mind right now is an 80-90cm deep table of unknown length hosting two monitors and for now let's say a pair of microlab solo7c on stands. What's your opinion?

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 4
As a web developer, I spend LOTS of time at the keyboard.   For me, having an ergonomic computer desk is an absolute essential. [size=x-small]An old table or writing desk is not really ideal in the long term and it’s well worth buying a proper computer desk. [/size][size=x-small]At the very least you’ll need shelving for your CPU, monitor and printer.[/size]

mobile price in India

Users who are viewing this thread

Back