Describing headphones crazy and wild analogies
Dec 7, 2009 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
The goal of this thread is to really confidently describe the sound a pair of headphones in about 1 or 2 sentences. Be to the point, and if possible, be objective and non-emotional, meaning don't just say "HE90: Best headphones ever!!!!"

Feel free to make wild and crazy analogies, but try to articulate them so that they make sense in context.

Here is an example:

HD650: Warm sounding headphones, a bit slow with a lush midrange. Brings to mind the thought of drinking a nice hot cup of coffee on a cold day.

What I found over time is it's sometimes those analogies which say more about the sound than merely describing the bass and treble.

I am eager to hear specifically how certain headphones are described.

Good luck, have fun.....and thanks for this in advance, I will greatly enjoy this and it may even help me, as I hope it will help others.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 37
HD-650: nite nite....I'm tired, and I want to go sleep.
K-702: good morning sunshine, what music am I going to enjoy today?
RS-1: damm, what they put in the water... I'm on fire.
DT-48: I want to be a doctor when I grow up?
Ultrasone: ladies and gentleman, I bring you Tiësto.

Dec 7, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 37
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ver...-heard-413826/

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 37
Part 2...

K-1000: On a clear day, I can see the ocean.

HD-800: I took a second job, sold my car, rented the garage to the neighbor, my wife hates me and I don't like the sound. Please advise.

Sony Qualia: Bastards! They cloned me! Who they think I am...Dolly? M-a-a-a-a-a-h!

K-601: Who am I... and what am I doing here???

K-701: I can be your shrink.

K-501: It's not fair! I was the KING!

K-400: And I was the Virgin Mary.

K-300: Both of them are my psycho acoustic parents!

K-240DF: You want to talk quantum physics??

L-3000: In a relationship. S&M. Fetish. Latex.

ED-8: Stop calling me a portable sissy!

ED-9: Bass what??? I can't hear you!

RS-1: Someone turned the lights on!

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 37
Sony MDR-V6: so you like a v-shaped equalizer, do you? I have a case and sweaty earpads. Use me. Take me home. Hype me so children in 2040 will still buy me for no good reason like they do now. Please? We thank our fans for the Wikipedia and online hype. The HypeMeter almost broke, we are so lucky to have you guys.
Sennheiser HD 595: you paid how much for my run-of-the-mill uneventful, uninvolving sonics? We at Sennheiser believe in terminating in the big plug. The Small Plug with Big-Plug attachment makes us look less manly. We are Men here in the German headquarters. We like to express this. We offer a de-masculation accessory and also enjoy looking at ze HypeMeter. No, we are not bringing the HD 565 Ovation back. It was too good and ate into our other ranges. That's why we had to design it with a faulty cable design. Please re-buy.
Sennheiser HD 555: don't look at me, I just did what HD595 told me, but I have a little less sparkle. If you want, save some money with me. We're virtually the same. Plus I also terminate in a Big Plug. So naturally I have (manly) value.
Audio-Technica ATH-AD900: I use the AT 'wing' system, so you will not find more comfortable full-sized headphones, but it's a shame only the deaf enjoy my piercing sonics and no bass. You may say I have great soundstage, but we all know you meant sonicrage. This characteristic limits my market somewhat. Hey, we make excellent mics and we can afford to have a dud or three, OK? Be distracted by our excellent build quality, packaging, materials and finish. We are your Japanese friends, don't hate.
[showUID]=44&tx_sbproductdatabase_pi1[showUid][backPID]=68&cHash=ea6cb3ee29]Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (250 ohm): man, I wish there were less versions of me to make assessing me less controversial and far more consistent. I will bring you joy if you like a closed phone for a bit of isolation. I wish I were half as comfortable to wear as Audio-Technica's wing-system, but hey, I am a closed phone and you want isolation, don't you? Look, look at my soft pads. Feel them envelop your ears. I am built with a metal frame unlike those Plasticheisers, but my coiled cable might have a strong odour fresh from the box. We don't care about your first impressions here in Germany. You will buy and thank us, pathetic consumer. We deny any allegations we are not men by the size of our connector. Audio-Technica, Sony and virtually everyone else terminates in the 3.5mm first without an attachment. Those other crazy Germans are living in the past, plus their so-called de-masculation accessory doesn't use screw-on threads like everyone else. *shakes head*.

We have overstepped the Sentence Quota and Emotional Quota guidelines and will now think about our error.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 37
Music with the HD800 - you sweat your way to the top of a hill, the sun burning a white hole in the eastern sky. At the top, with the steep sides sloping down toward the sea, you lie face up, legs and arms stretched out. Where skin meets smooth stone, the sweat quickly dries. You look straight up, away from the glare. All is blue. Light and deep the way you imagine eternity to be. With nothing to fix on, you can't tell if your eyes are open or closed. The wind is so light that you only feel it when it turns the beads on your skin to tiny particles of ice. Wisps of white slowly drift across your periphery, so thin that you blink to clear your eyes. The only sound is the soft touch of the wind and your heartbeat, and you feel it more than hear it. Except for the hard surface under you, you no longer feel attached to this earth. You become one with the blue, light and weightless, drunk with the music of the universe.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #13 of 37
AKG K240 Sextett: Okay, like any rocker from the seventies I may have become the worse for wear and look very outdated. But give me some 'proper music' and I can still fill stadiums. My voice might be a little hoarse and I'm not quite able to hit those high notes (anymore)...but admit it: you still love me don't ya? Yeah, that's what I thought, I can get by fine on sentimentality alone.

Grado 325i: EVER WONDERED WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE TO HAVE YOUR HEAD JAMMED INTO A GUITAR AMP?!?!

Beyerdynamic DT48E: This is what's actually on the cd. Disappointed? Tough crap!!

AKG K500: "See me dancing 'round the oak tree", said the dryad.

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 37
akg k701: like a girl with an amazing body, but an uglyass face... if you can ignore its flaws, it has some amazing qualities. fortunately, its amazing in places where it really counts

grado sr225: like a handle of vodka. its a party at first, but if you use it for long periods of time it gets painful

sony mdr-v6: like a honda civic. its cheap and theres nothing really wrong with it, but its not really amazing at anything

Dec 7, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
akg k701: like a girl with an amazing body, but an uglyass face... if you can ignore its flaws, it has some amazing qualities. fortunately, its amazing in places where it really counts

isn't a fleshlight more suited for that kind of use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back