descending into helpless addiction with each purchase
Jul 17, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 69
But what really is the best for you? Maybe you buy the HD800 and you like other kind of sound signature (GS1000, PS1000). Maybe you also lsiten to other cheaper headphone like the one he has now and thinks spending more is just going for a different sound, not a better sound.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #17 of 69
Quote:

The way to save money in this world: buy the best on the first try. The process of buying incrementally better is the way most of us go broke. We easily spend 3-4 times more money that way, spread out over time. Might as well shell out dough for something like the HD800 now and save yourself time and money.

IMO, the journey to perfectness is just as important as the actuall perfectness itself
tongue.gif

If you play a game, and you know the answer already, it isnt fun anymore.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what really is the best for you? Maybe you buy the HD800 and you like other kind of sound signature (GS1000, PS1000). Maybe you also lsiten to other cheaper headphone like the one he has now and thinks spending more is just going for a different sound, not a better sound.

Then you adjust the EQ or anything else to get the sound to your liking. Buy neutral and adjust digitally, not buy 10 headphones to get 10 different sounds.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #19 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sakhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you adjust the EQ or anything else to get the sound to your liking. Buy neutral and adjust digitally, not buy 10 headphones to get 10 different sounds.

Says the guy with 6 pairs...haha.
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by cknelson15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Haha X2.
biggrin.gif

But with EQing you get to more problems. How should you EQ the headphones in order to get a good response, by ear? But you mood changes sound perception... It is just quite complicated. And a lot of money is at stake.

The best solution to avoid this madness is stay away from this site, and enjoy what you have, because in the end you get to realize if you put all your attention into your music you can enjoy your tunes, even with some buds.

What we like is to see some package arrive to our place with a new headphone inside
smily_headphones1.gif
Because we get back to the same, once you are listening to a pair of headphones you can't listen to another pair unless you take them off your head. EDIT: So comparing on the go is just lame.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #21 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by cknelson15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

...which is why I say what I did. Most sound qualities are not much more than electronically modified sound signals. I played around with the audio software and got my K702 to sound like the RS1. Forward sound and all. Most my headsets will be sold soon, once I get the settings for their sound signature saved. That includes the RS1.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Haha X2.
biggrin.gif

But with EQing you get to more problems. How should you EQ the headphones in order to get a good response, by ear? But you mood changes sound perception... It is just quite complicated. And a lot of money is at stake.

If your mood changes your perception, the problem's you. Not the Headset.
beyersmile.png
I don't have a headset for when I'm sad and a headset for when I'm happy.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 69
Quote:

The way to save money in this world: buy the best on the first try. The process of buying incrementally better is the way most of us go broke. We easily spend 3-4 times more money that way, spread out over time. Might as well shell out dough for something like the HD800 now and save yourself time and money.

Wouldn't that be nice?

See, hindsight is 20/20, we should all have done this, but we all start out as "muggles", so to speak, and come here with some kind of budget in mind, thinking we'll get something really nice, and that'll be it.

And then some rotten person says, "But the UberPhonika 19.23a are much more wonderful, and just a little bit more than you wanted to spend!"

So you buy them, flinching at the cries of your wallet, and while you're happily listening to them, reading Head-Fi, you come across a "UberPhonika 19.23a vs. Noismakker 4300" thread, and the consensus of the rotten bastards in that thread is that you need to sell your UberPhonikas and buy the Noismakkers instead to reach audio nirvana. And your wallet tries to crawl out of your pocket.

And so it goes, with all us rotten bastards egging each other on into audio debt.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't that be nice?

See, hindsight is 20/20, we should all have done this, but we all start out as "muggles", so to speak, and come here with some kind of budget in mind, thinking we'll get something really nice, and that'll be it.

And then some rotten person says, "But the UberPhonika 19.23a are much more wonderful, and just a little bit more than you wanted to spend!"

So you buy them, flinching at the cries of your wallet, and while you're happily listening to them, reading Head-Fi, you come across a "UberPhonika 19.23a vs. Noismakker 4300" thread, and the consensus of the rotten bastards in that thread is that you need to sell your UberPhonikas and buy the Noismakkers instead to reach audio nirvana. And your wallet tries to crawl out of your pocket.

And so it goes, with all us rotten bastards egging each other on into audio debt.

Then keep your hindsight within the 30 day return policy. Saves major, major cash. Many of my headsets are going back to the store. Many of them are overrated.

Don't buy Head-fi, and don't buy eBay. Buy Amazon or any store with a low price and a liberal return policy. If you don't like it, return it. If you like it, keep it.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

If your mood changes your perception, the problem's you. Not the Headset.
beyersmile.png
I don't have a headset for when I'm sad and a headset for when I'm happy.

Not talking about something as simple as that... Talking about the perception you get with the same pair of headphones (and equipment) each time you listen to the same song. If you do so during the day, one time you will hear some aspects of the song you did not hear before. Your attention goes to different parts of the song each time. As they are complex pieces of work there is a lot you can focus your attention to.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Not talking about something as simple as that... Talking about the perception you get with the same pair of headphones (and equipment) each time you listen to the same song. If you do so during the day, one time you will hear some aspects of the song you did not hear before. Your attention goes to different parts of the song each time. As they are complex pieces of work there is a lot you can focus your attention to.

Even that has no direct bearing on your equipment.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

Even that has no direct bearing on your equipment.

If I understood you correctly, no it doesn't, and the problem is always the "subject at test". That is why I mentioned that EQing HPs is not a simple task. That is why I also think your solution is basically another option, cheap for sure.

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

If I understood you correctly, no it doesn't, and the problem is always the "subject at test". That is why I mentioned that EQing HPs is not a simple task. That is why I also think your solution is basically another option, cheap for sure.

We're talking about different things. I'm talking about digitally modifying a sound so different headphones sound the same. You're talking about mentally focusing on different sounds from the same music (playing the same music from the same gear, but selectively listening to different sounds within that).

Jul 17, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #29 of 69
Quote:

We're talking about different things. I'm talking about digitally modifying a sound so different headphones sound the same. You're talking about mentally focusing on different sounds from the same music (playing the same music from the same gear, but selectively listening to different sounds within that).

Then I did answer good on my first post.

And how exactly are you going to make headphone A (flat response) sound as headphone B (colored can)? If using measurements doesn't help you too much due to how difficult they are to measure correctly at home.

I included the problem that we have with our hearing capabilities as even if we managed to make to set of cans sound "the same", it would be difficult for us to know if even with one pair of headphones we listen to different aspects of the song played.

I hope I expressed myself correctly. I am quite tired and words won't come to my mind.

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #30 of 69
I origanlly came to this site for just a set of poertable cans. Now I bought a set of ES-7's, a Compass, and a HF-2....

Damage? Over 1k....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back