descending into helpless addiction with each purchase
Jul 17, 2009 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

cknelson15

Head-Fier
I always come here to research headphone purchases. I'm a DJ and an audio nut, although I don't have near enough experience or knowledge to call myself an audiophile on the same caliber as many of the frequent posters here.

I had the Shure E4C's for a while, and then got the Super.fi 5 EB's. Now I just got the ATH-M50's and am burning them in (they ROCK). I was blindly recommending the 5EB's any chance I had just because I was so jazzed at how a decent pair of phones transforms your listening experience, not even realizing just how much BETTER music can sound through something like the M50's. And so it goes...

Bottom line: The better sounding headphones I get, the more I want. MORE MORE MORE. I'm already thinking about spending money on the new Shure closed headphones, wondering if I need to expand to an open set of Sennheisers, and considering venturing into amp territory as well. I envision something like a tie-rack, only for headphones, where I open up a door and I have 20 pairs hanging, wondering which one I should take for a ride that day. Screw cars.

COMMENT: thank you, Head-Fi, for draining my wallet
QUESTION: IS THERE A SUPPORT GROUP FOR THIS??

Thanks for listening (erm, reading).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 69
I have fallen in the same kind of game, but for other personal reasons :/

BTW are your ATH M50 the coiled or straight cord version? I am getting the straight version. And regarding reviews on those they say it is pretty hard to get ones that come close to their sound response, for the market price, in the pro audio world.

How much you payed form them?

This is a very bad addiction that makes you waste some money, as you only have two ears and can't listen to more than one pair at a time. Best solution for cure is get away from this forums, the hype surrounding a lot of products and excellent impressions from all people.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as you only have two ears and can't listen to more than one pair at a time.

Haha, that's hilarious. If only someone could figure that one out...

Well, I had a $100 gift card to Amazon and the coiled cord ones were going for $122 there, so I essentially paid $22. Not a bad deal.

I've only been burning them in for a few hours with some pink noise, but already I'm hearing the sound tighten up a bit. I listen to a ton of electronic music and the bass is pretty phenomenal on these. I was in love my Super.fi 5EB's but now I understand what people say about the bass being kinda sloppy on those.

So far so good with the M50's. Really impressed.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 69
The best thing to do is set a yearly or monthly budget and stick to it without any flex at all. That is what I have been doing and I am very happy.

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 69
Oh my, what a fun hobby and and fun ride this hobby is.

Watch out for Sir Charge and his ilk. He is not there to help you, but rather to drag you to the depths of financial hell. Problem is, there is always something better out there to try. At some point enough will be, well, enough.

Enjoy!

Jul 17, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 69
Oh, so you are the one of the other thread
smily_headphones1.gif
Happy to see you looked at my (and others) advice- That price is a killer price, for a set of MSRP = $199 and street price of <$100.

How do you like they way they are built? Materials, pads, termination?

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really should upgrade next week, though.

Don't tempt me.

As far as the build and everything on the M50's, they seem really solid. I got them to replace my Denon DN-HP1000's, which replaced my Sony M700's. Both of those broke (Denon an ear went out, plastic broke on the Sonys) so I was definitely interested in getting something solid and the M50s fit the bill. I'm worried about the pleather earpads causing some sweat on gigs, but that really can't be avoided. They're really comfy and all of the joints where they fold in or expand seem very well reinforced (not the crappy Sony plastic). I dont' know if I would walk down the street with these monsters on my head but they look real purrty sitting on my mixer.

I was tempted by the HD25s and the SRH-840s but I opted for the cheaper options just because the reviews on the M50s were so universally stellar. So far they live up to the hype, imo.

Jul 17, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #15 of 69
The way to save money in this world: buy the best on the first try. The process of buying incrementally better is the way most of us go broke. We easily spend 3-4 times more money that way, spread out over time. Might as well shell out dough for something like the HD800 now and save yourself time and money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back