Derailing headphone threads
Dec 7, 2021 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Sefelt103

500+ Head-Fier
I often find a thread I'm reading relates in some way to my experience with headphones but not directly. To contribute can be quite hard without 'derailing' the thread. Some recent examples are:
a) a thread about someone's search for a similar sounding closed backed version of Sennheiser's HD600 that I obliquely linked to a video about modifying the HD600 to closed back using a 3D printer.
b) a thread asking for headphones with good midrange in which I wanted to ask does anyone know of a headphone that has rolled off bass and treble and accentuated midrange but didn't.
So I see all these threads but can rarely contribute (= relatively low post count over time). The reasons this might be could be:
1. I don't have (or never had) the equipment being discussed.
2. The subject (or equipment) doesn't relate to my experience eg. It's about planar headphones when
I own or have only heard dynamics.
3. The mystery of science gets in the way eg. impedance curves or sensitivity that I don't understand.
4. I can only ask questions relating to the thread and nothing else
5. Difficulty in understanding or short attention span which makes replies tricky
6. Fear of a reply that might be tactless or derogatory to a manufacturer
I'm sure this list is not exhaustive. I just see all these threads and can only be drawn to reply in some related way. This is because something within the topic is interesting and connected in some form to my experience with audio. The solution must be to purchase and listen to large numbers of audio equipment (each for a long time) and research and study audio. But that's impractical with limited time and money to purchase what are often desirable headphones and audio equipment. Point 5. goes against study. In my defence it's not intended to irritate but is hard to resist, it reminds me of that song "Jumping Someone Else's Train" by The Cure. To the thread 'Your "wow" headphones' I want to reply not with any actual headphones that impressed initially, which I can't because I never wanted to purchase any headphones that impressed me initially, but my only connection can be that since I like an accurate representation of any recording any headphone that I detected boosted bass or treble or euphonic pleasing harmonic distortion in abundance I would not like (depending on the recording). So for me a 'wow' indication is a warning sign rather than a pleasant audio experience. But I'm interested because it's another tiny piece in the jigsaw puzzle of audio. I can't be the only one.

Dec 7, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 15
I often find a thread I'm reading relates in some way to my experience with headphones but not directly. To contribute can be quite hard without 'derailing' the thread. Some recent examples are:
a) a thread about someone's search for a similar sounding closed backed version of Sennheiser's HD600 that I obliquely linked to a video about modifying the HD600 to closed back using a 3D printer.
b) a thread asking for headphones with good midrange in which I wanted to ask does anyone know of a headphone that has rolled off bass and treble and accentuated midrange but didn't.
So I see all these threads but can rarely contribute (= relatively low post count over time). The reasons this might be could be:
2. The subject (or equipment) doesn't relate to my experience eg. It's about planar headphones when
3. The mystery of science gets in the way eg. impedance curves or sensitivity that I don't understand.
5. Difficulty in understanding or short attention span which makes replies tricky
I'm sure this list is not exhaustive. I just see all these threads and can only be drawn to reply in some related way. This is because something within the topic is interesting and connected in some form to my experience with audio. The solution must be to purchase and listen to large numbers of audio equipment (each for a long time) and research and study audio. But that's impractical with limited time and money to purchase what are often desirable headphones and audio equipment. Point 5. goes against study. In my defence it's not intended to irritate but is hard to resist, it reminds me of that song "Jumping Someone Else's Train" by The Cure. To the thread 'Your "wow" headphones' I want to reply not with any actual headphones that impressed initially, which I can't because I never wanted to purchase any headphones that impressed me initially, but my only connection can be that since I like an accurate representation of any recording any headphone that I detected boosted bass or treble or euphonic pleasing harmonic distortion in abundance I would not like (depending on the recording). So for me a 'wow' indication is a warning sign rather than a pleasant audio experience. But I'm interested because it's another tiny piece in the jigsaw puzzle of audio. I can't be the only one.
Just post with reckless abandon. Don't be afraid. Just jump into the fray. Don't take anything personally and trust your own ears above all else. You will be fine. I like that you are posting mod ideas and such. We need more opinions, not less. The more you post, the more you will end up learning which is what this forum is all about.

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 15
Dec 7, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 15
Sefelt103, don't you think you may be overthinking things? I like your post and you make some valid and interesting points, but perhaps you are looking into it too much, no?!
You are a human being which means you are entitled to an opinion, which is rightfully yours and don't be put off by anyone who tries to contradict you or anyone coming across as derogatory. I am a fellow Scot and it's in our nature to speak our minds and stand up for what we believe in, unlike our more reserved English neighbours whom we share an island with, lol. You should not hold back from getting involved in discussions, share your knowledge with us :thumbsup:

Dec 7, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 15
It’s one thing to contribute to a thread, it’s another to take over or derail a thread. Post your thoughts if you can contribute, it’s totally fine, then take it to PM if you feel things are swinging far off topic.

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 15
You can't just make a Sennheiser HD 600 closed and expect it to measure at all the same. You'd be better off buying a Beyerdynamic DT250 and sealing the connection port to fix the channel imbalance.
Koss Pro4AA?

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 15
Sefelt103, don't you think you may be overthinking things? I like your post and you make some valid and interesting points, but perhaps you are looking into it too much, no?!
Perhaps, but I like looking into things, especially those in which there is no hope of resolution.
I am a fellow Scot and it's in our nature to speak our minds and stand up for what we believe in, unlike our more reserved English neighbours whom we share an island with, lol. You should not hold back from getting involved in discussions, share your knowledge with us :thumbsup:
I am actually English, I've lived for the last 20 years in Scotland (my relatives live here). As to involvement I see these obstacles with some audio mystery on the other side. Whether it manifests itself in knowledge (or lack of) or rubbing the cats fur the wrong way or idle curiosity. One thing's for certain: My interest span will be short.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 15
You can't just make a Sennheiser HD 600 closed and expect it to measure at all the same. You'd be better off buying a Beyerdynamic DT250 and sealing the connection port to fix the channel imbalance.

Koss Pro4AA?
I wouldn't expect a closed version of the HD600 to measure or sound the same. It was just to illustrate my though process, that as I don't have any headphones which I am familiar with that sound similar to a HD600 but are closed, I linked to a video by a well known Youtuber. I had a look for some FR graphs for the Koss Pro 4AA and they look like the sort that would prevent me from purchasing. They didn't look particularly like a headphone without treble though. It seems such a simple recipe - no bass or treble and only midrange that I think some manufacturer must have tried it. The inverse of 'V' shaped covering most of the musical information.

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 15
I have always used Head-Fi as the world's biggest library of headphone info. I love reading and read constantly although now it is almost all on my phone.
Read all or at least most of the thread for the product you are interested in and try to ask related/logical questions about the product. More threads will get you more knowledge. Buy what you can afford and participate in that thread. Offer your experiences and results and ask lots of questions. Over time you read more threads, buy more products, sample more products and maybe even borrow some items from friends.

I post LOTS now, but didn't post much in the first few years except to ask questions.Welcome to the group!
:thumbsup:

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 15
Is it possible to derail a thread which is entitled “Derailing headphone threads”?…🤪🤔

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 15
Is it possible to derail a thread which is entitled “Derailing headphone threads”?…🤪🤔
:beyersmile:

But of course! All you have to do is mention cables, streamers or power supplies :L3000:

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 15
:beyersmile:

But of course! All you have to do is mention cables, streamers or power supplies :L3000:
Or the ‘science’ of audio vs the ‘experience’ of audio…?

Dec 9, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #15 of 15
Yes
Or the ‘science’ of audio vs the ‘experience’ of audio…?
That's something that interests me. The disconnect between the headphone site that measures many parameters and concludes this model measures poorly and the comments that say but this is my favourite, highest sound quality headphone I own/adore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back