DenonAHD1000/Creative AurvanaX-Fi/AudioTechnica M50? or other?
Aug 17, 2009 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DaraZ

New Head-Fier
Ok so i've come here for a little help. First a background on my needs...I've been doing research as my old Koss headphones recently snapped. These headphones were very entry level and i had wanted an excuse to get some new ones for a long time. I listen to hip-hop/rap music mainly with some trip-hop and classic rock mixed in.

My Needs:
Hip-Hop/Trip-Hop worthy bass
Preferably < $175
No amplifier needed
Need to be portable/comfortable
Minimal Sound Leakage

What I'm looking at:
(this is pretty much based on professional reviews and some amazon.com reviews which i realized can be biased. Thats why i'm here)

Denon AHD1001k (Concerns: Bass, Sound Leakage)
Creative Aurvana X-Fi (concerns: Battery Usage)
Sennheiser HD280 Pro (concerns: portability and comfortability and quality)
AudioTechnica ATH-M50 (haven't seen too many reviews)

Now i'm completely open to new suggestions, i just wanted some help deciding as its been a while since i've been able to listen to music how i wanted to and i need some new headphones! Any input you have is appreciated. Thanks

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 11
Just as a Reference, i liked the monster beats by dre when i tried them in the store but i didnt think they were worth $350, mainly because i'm not looking to spend that much on headphones.

Also, FYI, i will be using these through my computer and iPod so if you think that will change your recommendation, please take that into consideration.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 11
what about sound leakage? can i listen to them at medium to high volumes with relatively low sound reaching people around me?

also one site said the audio technica's were like the denon but better. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 11
I will recommend the m50. I bought it sometime back for listening through my itouch and have not regretted buying them. As you can see I have a D7000 as well but for portability its the m50. Very good for the genres you mention. Its a great all round can.

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaraZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about sound leakage? can i listen to them at medium to high volumes with relatively low sound reaching people around me?

also one site said the audio technica's were like the denon but better. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Havent heard the AT but the Denons can be played loud with minimal leakage. if you want no leakage tyry ther Senn 280 although they are dark sounding.
beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #7 of 11
I prefer my M50 over my Denon 1001
The Denon is lighter and more comfortable, but doesn't quite
have the music quality of the M50. ... just my opinion
I think most people here have never given the M50 a chance, BUT
you need ~ 50 hours of burn-in before your ears say ... WOW !

PX100 for portable
M50 for home

icon10.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 11
The Creative Aurvana X-Fi are a Phitek OEM, the same as Audio Technica ATH ANC7 and Goldring NS1000. I would expect them to be very similar in terms of both build and sound. Both the Goldring and the Audio Technica are cheaper, at least based on UK prices. Build and sound quality are supposed to be marginally better on the Audio Technica than the Goldring (ANC7 = Phitek M14, a higher model than NS1000 = Phitek M10) The Aruvana has different electronics to the other two having CMSS build in (which I would avoid TBH). All of the above work without batteries but really require an amp to get the best out of them if you're using them in passive mode.

Creative Aurvana Live! are essentially the same OEM model as Denon D1001. I thought they were quite fun when I had them but sound not as detailed and accurate as my NS1000s (so I guess that's a recommendation for the Aurvana X-Fi over the D1001).

For any of the above phones that are based on the same OEM model, I'd go for whichever model is cheaper where you live.

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 11
Having owned 3 of the headphones you're looking at (CAL! instead of the D1001), here's how I rank them:

Build: CAL! X-FI (Mine makes a creaking sound but feel the most professional) > HD280 (Feels like a tank but doesn't make enough sense... You're gonna end up scratching it) > CAL! (Crappy thin build and creaks)

SQ: HD280 (Tight bass and clear) > CAL X-FI (Bass is a bit sloppy, much like BOSE, but having owned both the CAL X-FI and CAL!, this is a step up... A bit artificial sounding though) > CAL! (Great for the price)

Most sound leaking: CAL X-FI (It has two vents which let alot of sound out > CAL! (It's closed, but the plastic is thinner than the 280 so I'm putting it below the 280) > HD280

Comfort: CAL! X-FI (Real leather is a plus, especially when it's so thick and plush but they suction your ears if they're pressed on anything, which feels weird) > CAL! (Pleather, thin pads, but nothing unpleasant) > HD280 (Not even pleather. Just plastic. Pads are stiff when new, not sure about after that)

What's the best for you would be the CAL! X-FI, since you like Hip-Hop, since that needs loads of bass to appreciate. Lets say you want to step down in bass, it's gonna be the CAL!, then if you want more clarity, you're looking at the HD280 which has much tighter bass and it's pretty strong at higher volumes. Hope this helps and good luck finding your dream cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back