Denon versus Audio Technica...best headphones for music type?
Feb 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

April2Ari

New Head-Fier
I wish I knew more technical terminology regarding audio equipment, but I am just starting to get into it on a more serious level (so please use understandable terms, or explain what you mean). I have noticed that in some threads, people want a quick background so they can gauge what you're looking for better...

I have always been obsessed with music. I love all genres, but currently I have been rather addicted to more SOULFUL VOCALS (with smooth beats that make you FEEL something deep inside your core)...such as Miguel Jontel (loooove his song "The Thrill")...I also am in love with Kings of Leon's song "Closer". I am not quite sure what genre to label those as though...they aren't just hip hop or alternative...they're not mainstream type, but rather a slight mix of styles (or so I think). I also enjoy dubstep, but it would be most helpful if you could Google those 2 specific songs I listed. Another guy I am currently loving is Alex Clare (his song "Too Close"). Here are their direct links on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ec_83itPVM

Miguel- The Thrill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3F4zpOdK8

Kings of Leon- Closer 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctw33uKAjJI

Alex Clare- Too Close

Okay, so my price range is probably a max of around $500...but if I go that high, is has to be more than worth it. If not, I am more comfortable spending $300 for pretty good headphones. If there isn't much difference between a $300 and $500 pair, then I would prefer to go with the less expensive option...basically, if there isn't a major noticeable step up in sound quality, then I don't want to pay more. I would prefer closed back headphones...complete noise cancellation isn't necessary though...I want to feel like the song is coming out of me, not as though it's coming from a distant source...frills and aesthetics aren't a big deal (I am more concerned with the sound quality).

I did my research and noticed that serious music industry consumers hate headphones like beats by dre, skullcandy, etc. because they're waaay overpriced. I didn't intend on getting one of those models, but when I asked for help at 3 different stores, I kept getting directed towards the beats HD by dre...I went against my judgement and decided to try them. You were all right! I plan on returning them in the next couple of days. Here is what I need help explaining/understanding though...the beats HD aren't terrible, but for $200, I feel like I should LOVE or kind of have a semi-addiction to my headphones...but my $10 earbuds are better IMHO. It seems like the beats HD have a muted effect going on (what is that called?), like I can't hear what I want to...the bass booms, but everything else feels/sounds so far away, no matter how much I turn up the volume. I just felt like the bass dominated everything and took over, which might be good for some people, but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

My primary sources are lap top and iPod (I've read that makes a difference in choosing headphones). I keep seeing overwhelming suggestions for Denon and Audio-Technica. There were also a ton of Sennheiser suggestions, but I also noticed that most models are open back...and a couple people said they were ideal for a flat sound, which is something great for mixing, but not for listening? If that is true, then I am leaning more towards Denon or Audio-Technica. I went to both of their websites, but from there I get lost...how do I narrow down model types? Overall, I just want to FEEL the vocals, but still have a great smooth quality coming from the sound effects...I don't know what highs, mids, and lows are so I can't specify more. In summary, I want to get lost in my music! If you have other brands in mind that match what I am looking for better, please let me know. I am not locked into any specific brand/model at this point.

Also, if you have any other questions about what I am looking for (to help match me to something), feel free to ask! I am jonesing/craving a killer pair of headphones to add some inspiration to my artwork, so I want to get this next purchase right. Clearly the store clerks are clueless...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back