Denon to release Mid/High-End Woodie in Japan
Jan 30, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #61 of 250
Those look beautiful. So who's getting it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #63 of 250
with these I expect that if we wait a few months the price will be way down. If you look on the AT site the list is something like 1,600 for W5000s. And I know that alotof high end stuff starts high and will drop in half within a year.
For the people that pre ordered tho, I envy you, they look spectacular. I reall like the black ones too, they look great.
-greg

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #64 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alex, when you come Tokyo, ask Taniguchi san to try these cans.

sounds good, and I probably will without any urging if I'm in tokyo,
biggrin.gif
but it'll probably be a while before I go there again with school and all.
tongue.gif
perhaps this summer.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #65 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw could you audition the small CX3 CDP? Im considering it
wink.gif

yes, please let us know what you think of it. it's not available in the states but i'd make the effort to lug it back from japan if it's good enough.

Jan 31, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #66 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, please let us know what you think of it. it's not available in the states but i'd make the effort to lug it back from japan if it's good enough.

Lug is the right word, the CDP alone weights 7kg
wink.gif
I had a short look at a BIC Camera store in January, it looks even better in person and the build is really solid. To get back to headphones; It has almost the same size as my HA5000, that would be a perfectly small, solid, well built, beautiful and great sounding headphone rig
wink.gif
If they only had it in black....
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #67 of 250
Quote:

Lug is the right word, the CDP alone weights 7kg
wink.gif
I had a short look at a BIC Camera store in January, it looks even better in person and the build is really solid. To get back to headphones; It has almost the same size as my HA5000, that would be a perfectly small, solid, well built, beautiful and great sounding headphone rig
wink.gif
If they only had it in black....
biggrin.gif

7kg! ouch! personally i like the brushed aluminum look. everything that denon usa sells is black. snore...

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #68 of 250
Quote:

I have a pair of Denon 950 (closed) headphones from several years ago, when they had several different models at reasonable prices -- so, selling headphones is NOT a new thing for them! Why they stopped selling them here, is what I don't understand, since people seemed to really like them. My 950 phones have perhaps the deepest bass of any of my current phones, or any I've heard so far, and a decent SQ overall, especially the bass and mids, plus they can be used without an amp if desired, though they naturally sound better with an amp -- versatile -- that's why I still have them. My 950's cost around $100, but that was about 5-6 years ago. Still like new, and comfy too. Worth the money.

I used to be a big fan of the D950 too, but then discovered later that the bass is bloated to my taste. IMO, the D950 is a dark sounding headphone with grado-like presentation. The bass is punchy but not as textured as the JVC HA-D990. The D950 had a lot of midbass bump, IMO.

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #69 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those look beautiful. So who's getting it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Skylab says he already pre-ordered (the neat woodies I think) -- I am so jealous!
I've been looking for my run-away wallet, ever since it apparently saw me drooling over the woodies at beginning of this thread. Anybody seen a vagabond wallet? It might be mine. Gotta cage it or something....
rolleyes.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #70 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to be a big fan of the D950 too, but then discovered later that the bass is bloated to my taste. IMO, the D950 is a dark sounding headphone with grado-like presentation. The bass is punchy but not as textured as the JVC HA-D990. The D950 had a lot of midbass bump, IMO.

I haven't been using them anymore -- been using cans that have slightly brighter highs, to help my worn-out ears....
I gave them and my Sony V-6's a brief re-fresh listen about 2-3 months ago, then put them back to sleep in their boxes....

Feb 5, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #71 of 250
Yes, we have same idea that the D2000 is so flat shaped and fit well around my head. Great design. it is light enough to carry around but somewhat bigger for portable. I think D2000 may even worth for out door use. But cable is longer(3m)..
I have tried D1000 as well but D2000 is way better regarding sound quality.
http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/31658298.html
I use HD25 too. compared to HD25, D2000/1000 has less side pressure and more comfortable, but DENON is bigger.

My friend bought CX3, here -
http://blog.livedoor.jp/ninaslabo/ar.../50692398.html
He said so-so on the sound quality (he also has LINN IKEMI as CDP) but he likes its good build quality.

Quote:

Sasaki: Nice to hear thats your Website, i read some of your posts here before but never knew you had a blog too.

What is your opinion about the looks of the D2000 for portable use? I really like the looks of the D2000, they seem to fit flat on your head and on the ears, they look even flatter than the HD25 for example, but the Sennheiser has smaller cups ofcourse. And im curious how much it improved with your amps, is that really necessary with a 25 Ohms headphone?

Btw could you audition the small CX3 CDP? Im considering it
wink.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #73 of 250
I took one for the team on the dx1000's (actually, I took 2 hits there as the first one was DoA), I'll pass on this one
smily_headphones1.gif
. Now if they manage to drop down to the 300$-range after becoming a domestic model I'll reconsider.

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #74 of 250
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really.

I used to work in retail when I was a teenager and had a great discount on electronics for employees. So I wanted to buy a nice pair of headphones and we happened to carry a full line of denon cans. So I purchased a pair of the 350's, they broke (they retailed for $100 or so). Took it back and got a replacement. They broke too! So I decided to downgrade to the 210's....they broke....I eventually went through three pairs!!! Yes, three pairs. They kept breaking. Now, it wasn't the drivers burning out. The damn headband would just fall apart and literally tear right off from where it connected to the earcup. I got so fed up, I gave up with denon.

On a side not: The headphones sounded awful. Much like the Sony dj line or the bose triport kind of sound. Honky, muddy bass, nonexistent highs...just a mess of a headphone.

If their lower line of headphones sounded that bad and they obviously had QC issues, I tend to avoid any cans made by Denon.

I actually picked up a pair of 350's on ebay for cheap just to try them out again, yep...they sounded awful alright. I wound up throwing them out.

Interesting observations. I think I learned my lesson with the Edition 7, which really didn't work out for me. I had some real issues with their build quality, as well as their sound quality. The cheap white lamp cord had to be replaced at once! That, and the exotic leather pads stained very easily just from head sweat (not mine, mind you, but from the people at the NY meet I brought them to!). Then after very little use, the mirror finish on the earcups started to wear off, and of course the headband was quite frail and subject to breaking (although mine didn't).

So the lesson learned is that I've got no problem in letting someone else (or better yet, several someone else's) taking the plunge! After I've read a few detailed reviews, I'll decide where the AH-D5000's fall on my wish list. I'm still toying with the idea of a pair of Editon 9 as well as the DX-1000. No immediate plans though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back