Denon PMA-2000IVR Integrated Amp
Feb 6, 2008 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

furball

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought this integrated amp to power my speakers and to use it as my headphone (I think I am going to order a pair of AKG K701).

Does anyone have any experience with this integrated amp? It is quite heavy, weighing in at 52lbs
tongue.gif
. How does it perform, both in terms of powering bookshelf speakers and in terms of powering headphones?

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 32
The list price is $1199. I purchased this integrated amp along with a pair of Polk LSi9 speakers. With a bit of haggling, I was able to negotiate the price down to $1100 for the integrated amp.

I took delivery of the integrated amp and the speakers yesterday, but my cables wont be here till next week. So they are still sitting in their boxes right now.
redface.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 32
Noticed the misspelling
tongue.gif
But it's too late, I can't seem to edit the thread's title.

Denon D2000, seems intriguing. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 32
Just looking at the guts, I imagine it will tide you over until you want to get into separates or home theater.
biggrin.gif

It's always difficult to tell how good the headphone amplifier will be on a speaker amp. The only way to know is to listen (and to look inside, if you can). Just remember to disable speaker outputs when using the headphone jack, though I imagine it will auto-sense headphone input and shut them off on its own.

I've never heard higher-end Polks, but a lot of people have had good things to say about the LSi line. Congrats on the new setup!

Also, you can change the thread's title by editing your first post and clicking "Go Advanced."

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by furball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Noticed the misspelling
tongue.gif
But it's too late, I can't seem to edit the thread's title.

Denon D2000, seems intriguing. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.
wink.gif

Sure ya' can. Just hit "edit" and once the screen comes up, then hit "edit" again. It will then refresh and let you edit the title. It took me the longest time to figure that out.
wink.gif

Good luck with your headphone purchase. The D2000 are great, but the D5000 are better. Nice looking amp. Denon makes some great stuff. Enjoy it!

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 32
I think you made a mistake; this amp measures no better than the $150 penny...you have just wasted alot of money.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 32
Can you elaborate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you made a mistake; this amp measures no better than the $150 penny...you have just wasted alot of money.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Well that's a really rude way of putting it.

If he doesn't like it he can always return it. I'm sure he didn't buy something he wouldn't be able to return (therefore "wasting" money), minus shipping of course.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 32
I actually thought about this.

Even though this integrated is only rated at 80 watts, it is capable of pushing high currents into those 80 watts. When you are dealing with low impedance speakers (the LSi9's are rated at 4 ohms), it is really the amount of current that is more important.

The nearest entry level audiophile amp I was considering at the time of purchase costs about $2000. A decent preamp will run me another $500. So I settled on this all in one solution.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

I'm assuming you meant Panny as in those Panasonic digital receivers. Let's compare the popular $249 Panasonic SR-XR57 to the Denon PMA-2000IVR, just looking at specs:

Panasonic SA-XR57
100 watts per channel @ 6 ohms = 75 watts per channel @ 8 ohms
SNR: 85 dB (103 dB on digital input?)
THD: 0.09% @ 6 ohms

Denon PMA-2000IVR
80 watts per channel @ 8 ohms
SNR: 108 dB
THD: 0.01% @ 8 ohms

I don't see a single specification that measures better for the Panasonic... Unless you were joking about it the whole time (or I misinterpreted your post).
tongue.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 32
Feb 7, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming you meant Panny as in those Panasonic digital receivers. Let's compare the popular $249 Panasonic SR-XR57 to the Denon PMA-2000IVR, just looking at specs:

Panasonic SA-XR57
100 watts per channel @ 6 ohms = 75 watts per channel @ 8 ohms
SNR: 85 dB (103 dB on digital input?)
THD: 0.09% @ 6 ohms

Denon PMA-2000IVR
80 watts per channel @ 8 ohms
SNR: 108 dB
THD: 0.01% @ 8 ohms

I don't see a single specification that measures better... Unless you were joking about it the whole time (or I misinterpreted your post).
tongue.gif

Denon PMA-2000IVR
160W @4ohm => THD is 0.7% !!
80W @8ohm => THD is 0.07%

How is this better than 0.09% @ 6ohm?

How can Denon sound better than Panasonic SA-XR55s if it measures worse?? If you can't measure it you can't hear it !!! that's a fact! And if it measures worse, it must sounds worse.

at least OP should stick with his believes on all electronics including amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back