Denon DP29FRB as my first Turntable?
Feb 11, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 7
A friend of mine has a Denon table. It sounds OK. I suspect that if you dropped a better cartridge on there it'd sound pretty good.

But for $50? The answer is hell yes, buy it. Some people might sniff at it, but I think this would be a great intro to vinyl.

Feb 11, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 7
mobayrasta: Don't. Because what you'd get with that thingy is an absolutely entry level model with practically no uprade potential whatsoever - very much comparable to other rather pathetic entry level models available today, e.g. Audio-Technica AT-PL50, Dual CS410, Pioneer PL-990, Sony PS-LX250 et cetera. All of these are very similar and pretty much in the same league: ok, if you want something for your children to listen to audio books or maybe for your old grandma, but nothing for an audio fan. The last remaining half-decent entry level record player I'm aware of is the Technics SL-BD20 - so I'd recommend either that or to check the used market.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Feb 11, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 7
If $50 is all you have then go for it. If you can swing (or wait and save) a few hundred then you'll be much better off with either a Music Hall MMF 2.1 or Rega's new P1. Probably around $300-$350 for either one, including cartridge. You can upgrade the cartridge later if you want when you have a bit more cash.

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobayrasta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a good deal here and am curious as to what you guys think of it.

http://www.secondact.biz/c=G7uGEZKaP...roduct/DP29FRB

Sorry to say it looks like junk. Good turntables can be had 2nd hand if you are short of cash. Search around flea markets and charity stores or ask around friends and neighbours. You' often find someone has one sitting in their attic which they'll be happy to get rid of, usually with a stack of records too.
Look for something old and heavy, not made out of plastic as it's mostly a mechanical device the better quality materials used usually the better quality sound. Often you can find really old decks from the '60s which will be much better than anything you can get today for resonable money and all they'll need is an oil change and maybe a new belt to run as good as new.
Look out for Technics, Dual, Thorens, Lenco, AR or Rek-o-cut. Denon did (and still do) make some fine decks but that one in the link isn't one of them unfortunately.

Feb 11, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 7
Some of the best turntables in the world are resting in people's closets unused because Cee Dees sound so much trendier.A great deck can be had cheap If you look hard enough.Heck,most people could probably fall over one without even knowing it.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Denon made a lot of VERY good turntables - some that rival much more expensive current models. Unfortunately, that isn't one of them (and they tend to sell for several hundred dollars used). I'd stay away from that deck - really one of the basic Music Hall's or Pro-Jects are much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back