Denon DCP-150
Mar 20, 2003 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Yang

100+ Head-Fier
Got this a few days ago and got it to run on 4AAs. The AD D/A Converter runs optimum on 5V, so the 4.8V of the 4 rechargeable should not affect the sound. I tried an outside 6V battery pack and could not notice a change in sound, although I really lack the high end phones to be sure of this. Don’t have a 110V A/C adapter and don’t plan on getting one at the moment.

As for the sound, have to agree with just about everything LamerDeluxe and Hirsh had to say, except that I prefer to use it without any bass/treble boost.

I also have a Denon DCP-100 and have owned in the past: D-777, D-E900, 2 D-555s, 3 other D-303s, D-335, Denon DCP-70, D-15, D-25, and Technics XPS900 but decided to keep only 1 D-303, the DCP-100, and probably this DCP-150, so enough said about these 3 players.

P.S. Always thought the 2 Denons had the same construction, but there are slight difference. The inside electronic layout also seems to differ (location of all the chips, although the battery compartment and motors are identical).

Enjoy the photos.

21931332.jpg

21931320.jpg

21931310.jpg

21931302.jpg

Mar 20, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 17
Äãµç³ØÊÇÔõôŪµÄ£¿ÎÒÒ²ÓÐDCP-150
ÎÒÔÚÓ¢¹ú 150ÊǴӵ¹úÅĵġ£

»¹ÓУ¬HP-100A¾ÍÊDZãÒË£¡ Äã¿ÉÒÔµ½2000OKÈ¥¿´¡£

Mar 20, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 17
Hi Yang,

I noticed you decided to keep the DCP-100 and D-303, which tells me you must be pleased with the sound of both of those players as well.

I also have 2 DCP-100's and 2 D-303's and think their sound is one of the best for PCDP's. I am also currently in the hunt for a DCP-150.

My question to you is how does the DCP-100 compare in sound to the 150?

Thank you
Gary

Mar 20, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
I want one of these.. but I have yet to see one on eBay.com
tongue.gif

Mine turned up on the German ebay.

Mar 20, 2003 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Mine turned up on the German ebay.

One went for like $36 on ebay.de, but no shipping to the US so...
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2003 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 17
Yang,

I want one of this too...oh man...this Denon is driving me crazy!!! Be mine!!

Purk

Mar 20, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 17
Congrats on the DCP-150! Glad you like it!

Wish I had the remote as well. How does that volume control work, as the unit has a volume dial?

The $36 one on e-Bay DE was untested, which probably means it isn't working completely well.

While the DCP-100 sounds really good, the DCP-150 sounds noticably more detailed still.

I'd love to mod mine to accept AA batteries, but I can't find the needed battery holders
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 17
LamerDeluxe,

Actually, I stayed with the original holders for the DCP-150 for the mod, as I could not get both battery holders in like the DCP-100 because the 150 had a slightly larger PCB (just one corner). So I just got the spring connections and placed them in there with some 2 sided tape, extremely easy.

As for the sound, I think I just lack the phone to notice significant differences between the DCP-100 and 150. They both share common characteristics. All I can tell is stronger treble in the 150 and maybe more detail.

For the volume control with the remote, it is very unique. Don't really know why Denon made it this way, it clearly uses both digital and anlog volume volume control. What ever the volume is set on the player with the knob is the highest, the remote can decress the volume and then trun it back up until that highest point set by the analog pod. As you know, even if you turn the knob on the player to the lowest point, there is still some sound, but when you use the remote, you can actually go down until it is completely mute. From two different positions, I counted 55!! steps until it is mute. I don't remeber exactly the # of steps on the Sony D-555 digital volume control, but it is no where near 55.

Also, do you have any idea how the voltage difference from the source (their original 4V battery vs. my 4.8V, vs. the A/C or battery pack of 6V) affect the sound? There must be something that cleans up the differences. Analog Devices claims the AD1868 DACs works best at 4.75-5.25V, but will handle anything down to 3.5V.

P.S. einolu, I only used that disc to test if the player works with CD-Rs. Never really got into burning Audio CDs, but thanks for the advice. Any brands that you would recommend, other than those expensive professional ones with all those protective layering, etc?

Mar 20, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Yang
LamerDeluxe,

Actually, I stayed with the original holders for the DCP-150 for the mod, as I could not get both battery holders in like the DCP-100 because the 150 had a slightly larger PCB (just one corner). So I just got the spring connections and placed them in there with some 2 sided tape, extremely easy.

Sounds good, I must see if I can do something like that.

Quote:

As for the sound, I think I just lack the phone to notice significant differences between the DCP-100 and 150. They both share common characteristics. All I can tell is stronger treble in the 150 and maybe more detail.

I only get stronger treble in the 150 if I use the treble boosting.

Quote:

For the volume control with the remote, it is very unique. Don't really know why Denon made it this way, it clearly uses both digital and anlog volume volume control. What ever the volume is set on the player with the knob is the highest, the remote can decress the volume and then trun it back up until that highest point set by the analog pod. As you know, even if you turn the knob on the player to the lowest point, there is still some sound, but when you use the remote, you can actually go down until it is completely mute. From two different positions, I counted 55!! steps until it is mute. I don't remeber exactly the # of steps on the Sony D-555 digital volume control, but it is no where near 55.

Wow! That's a really cool system
biggrin.gif
The HP volume of the D-555 seems to be rather low, or maybe that's just my two units?

Quote:

Also, do you have any idea how the voltage difference from the source (their original 4V battery vs. my 4.8V, vs. the A/C or battery pack of 6V) affect the sound? There must be something that cleans up the differences. Analog Devices claims the AD1868 DACs works best at 4.75-5.25V, but will handle anything down to 3.5V.

I haven't really tested voltage. I only noticed a very stable powersupply like from an external battery makes all the difference in the world (compared to a wall wart). Also higher amperage helps add some bass. I haven't really tested it well with a BP2ex yet.

Apr 10, 2003 at 10:00 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)
The $36 one on e-Bay DE was untested, which probably means it isn't working completely well.

It must have been mine DCP-150 you are talking about... Happily it turened out to work 100% fine, and was in a very nice condition all around! :) :)

/Tommy

Apr 11, 2003 at 7:32 AM Post #14 of 17
Hey a funny thing I've noticed... that remote in the picture for the Denon DCP-150 looks exactly the same as the one for my Hitachi 15" TV...
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back