Denon D7000's Vs. $300 iem's... Questions
Nov 14, 2011 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kali77

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I have been contemplating selling my D7000's to fund some iem's in the $250-300 range. I have been as of late listening to portable audio %65/35. I just picked up and burned in my Brainwavz M2's and think they are nice, but am wondering what the next level has to offer. Now soundstage, and space are important to me. I like a neutral sound, with adequate bass( not a basshead, but like clean accurate bass). Are these things I can expect from this price point in iem's or am I setting myself up for a major let down. My plan would be sell the D7000's and pick up some used or new HD650's for home and use the rest towards a decent set of iem's.... IE8's, UM3x's, etc.... Thoughts?

I would also like an iem that I can use with my gdaudio compass at home. Are there iem's that offer the capability of plugging into a 1/4 headphone jack, and running off my compass?

Posted in the headphone section as well, as I know some hangout in different sub-forums and would like an unbiased opinion, or someone with experience with above listed phones/iem's

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 10
I own a pair of D7000 and think that you might be able to satisfy your needs without spending $300. I am currently using a pair of GR07 that suite me very well and they are quite similar to the D7000 in sonic signature. I have also owned the Senn IE8 and still own a pair of SM3 and feel the GR07 is a much better match to the D7000.

While I can not comment personally on this IEM, I also know several of the GR07 owners also like the JVC FXT90 alot and some consider to be abouot 85-90% of the sound of the FX700 which is the other high end IEM I considered when i started my journey to find a poartable IEM to match up to my D7000.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 10
Thank you dweaver! This is exactly what I was hoping for, someone who has had experience with the D7000 and some iem's in this range. Maybe I will just give the GR07's a whirl and hold off posting up my D7000's just yet.

Quote:
I own a pair of D7000 and think that you might be able to satisfy your needs without spending $300. I am currently using a pair of GR07 that suite me very well and they are quite similar to the D7000 in sonic signature. I have also owned the Senn IE8 and still own a pair of SM3 and feel the GR07 is a much better match to the D7000.

While I can not comment personally on this IEM, I also know several of the GR07 owners also like the JVC FXT90 alot and some consider to be abouot 85-90% of the sound of the FX700 which is the other high end IEM I considered when i started my journey to find a poartable IEM to match up to my D7000.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 10
Buddy, just so you know I have a set of D2000, the younger brother to the D7000 and having compared it to my portable Koss KSC-75 I can tell you that the ksc-75 is more transparent than the D2000 partly due to the recessed midrange which is covered by mostly the amazing deep bass.
Thus to say I much prefer the Koss despite its highs and lows are no way near as good as the denons however i feel that my koss are more clear, airier and punchy funner sounding when comparing head on head.

in your case, I recommend to sell off your d7000 and look further than 200-300, and purchase the all amazing Westone es5's or the Um miracles.
IMO your more true to the source this way.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 10
Don't sell the 7000s ...........................ever.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 10
sorry bud your reasoning for this?
the author want a neutral set of sounding phones with clean accurate bass. the d7000 is extraodinarily prominent in bass. Not neutrally based sounding, despite being an absolute amazing headphone.
He is better off with a LCD-2 for soundstage and overall clarity or even if preffered a set of HD600 for its amazingly balanced sound. remove the veil via a good matching amp.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 10
1. He never said he didn't like bass, only that he was more mobile now. His system has correct bass, he wants IEMs which emulate it.
2. The Denons are really not bass heavy with the right equipment and synergy.
3. How would he buy LCDs if he needs to sell his Denons to get IEMs.
4. The above post suggesting he keep his Denons and get lower cost IEMs is the correct solution to which the OP has agreed to.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Don't sell the 7000s ...........................ever.

My heart has been telling me the same thing, but the fact that I am on the move more, I really want to upgrade my mobile gear. May just take some time and save up, not sure.

Quote:
1. He never said he didn't like bass, only that he was more mobile now. His system has correct bass, he wants IEMs which emulate it.
2. The Denons are really not bass heavy with the right equipment and synergy.
3. How would he buy LCDs if he needs to sell his Denons to get IEMs.
4. The above post suggesting he keep his Denons and get lower cost IEMs is the correct solution to which the OP has agreed to.

Pretty much spot on.

1. I really enjoy accurate bass, I listen to a ton of old reggae(collection could rival some Jamaican DJ's lol). So accurate bass is key.
2. Agreed, would not consider them bass heavy, I believe they do a very good job of portraying accurate bass with a nice controlled punch.
3. Wouldn't even be posting this if $$ wasn't an issue. I would just keep my D7000's and buy a kickass portable rig. Would upgrade my home source gear why were at it :-D
4. Trying to figure this one out still, but yes this is what I am looking to do. Sell the Denon's and get some lower priced HD650's-600's and a nice pair of iem's.

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 10
well thought out Redcarmoose, in that case 
since the OP's preferences have been further refined by yourself, in  that case to the OP do not sell your  D7000!!!
they are truly spectacular with the right source and amping like I mentioned and backed by Redcarmoose.

if your more portable, save up more, skip getting the slightly veiled sennies, then look at the UM miracles.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 10
My suggestion for the GR07 was an attempt to steer the OP in direction of saving money while meeting his needs. I assumed from the title of his thread that he liked his D7000 and wanted a similar sounding IEM. Since I own the D7000 and ENJOY them I thought I could give him some insight. Since I suggested a neutralish IEM I think it's obvious I don't think the D7000 are as colored towards bass as Reelraw feels. Having said that, the GR07 does have excellent sub-bass when called for in my music so is not bass light.

I think the OP's decision to try the GR07 is sound and it may allow him to keep the D7000 for when he can enjoy them, or sell them and keep a good swack of bucks in his jeans. The good news is the GR07 resell quickly without a massive dollar loss if they are not to his liking.

To be blunt I also think based on the OP's posts and his current headphone choice, that while he wants good clarity and detail, he also likes the sound of a dynamic headphone. With that in mind I have steered him away from BA based headphones (universal or custom). I strongly suggest the OP avoid customs until he figures out what he likes as well since the resell value of customs is extremely low in comaprison to what he would initially spend, a risky purchase at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back