Denon D7000's Midrange and Treble
May 5, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gradofan's post got me thinking, perhaps I got my priorities mixed up. Do you guys think upgrading my source will yield a more significant improvement in the long run?

I'm using the Compass right now and I'm thinking my upgrade along the line of a NOS DAC such as the Paradisea 3+ or Havana to be paired with Audio-gd C2C.

YES! The source is huge! This has been the single biggest improvement Ive made with respect to sound. I think you saw my thread in the amp forum
bigsmile_face.gif
so I probably dont need to say more than that.

With regards to the D7000, Ive only heard the D5000 in comparison and find the D7000 much more balanced with a more forward midrange and less flabby bass out of the box. If you mod them Stuffing the pads and damping the back of the driver you can bring the midrange much more forward. I think in my current arraingement Ive probably found audio nirvana with the d7000, the only thing that would be nice was if you could get an infinite soundstage experience like you can with akg701. But I dont think the Grado RS1 will give you that feeling either. If I found the Grado headphones more comfortable, I would give the RS1 a try but I can only stand for about 1/2 hour at home before my ears start burning
frown.gif

May 7, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #49 of 73
They are well worth $525 plus another hundred!
I think they sound that good have become my favorite headphone.

May 7, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #50 of 73
Hmm... it will be hard to get it at that price in Asia but I shall see.

As another note, this distant vocal thing is something I experience sometimes with my D2000. Does this problem still exist in D7000?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon D2000 has a bit of a recessed midrange that can cause the vocals in some rock songs to sound distant. It is something that is very noticeable on some songs, mildly noticeable on others, and a non-issue on others. I found it to be mostly an issue for harder rock. For example, some Sammy Hagar songs have distant vocals, same with some Scorpions songs. U2 songs I've listened to are fine. When you hit a song that has a distant vocal (or distant lead guitar) it sucks the song right out of your ears, the song loses what is needed to make it fun to listen to.

I would find it hard to recommend the D2000 for aggressive rock if it is your only good headphone. You'll run into music that sucks with the distant vocals and you'll be unhappy. The Denon is very nice with jam bands, folksy rock, jazz, bluegrass, and similar. The Denon also does well with classical but I still prefer my Sennheisers over the Denon for classical.

The SR series Grados are great for rock music. Vocals and guitars are always out front where they should be. Lots of what is needed to make you rock and get into the music. If the rock and pop is your priority then Grado is it.

The Grados will have a more "in your head" kind of sound and have a sound that is more fatiguing for long listening sessions compared to the Denon D2000.

I have never listened to the D1001. I have no idea how much it fits the sound of the D2000.

May 8, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #52 of 73
Quote:

As another note, this distant vocal thing is something I experience sometimes with my D2000. Does this problem still exist in D7000?

Ive never experienced "the distant vocal thing" with the D7000. Vocals seem well balanced and very good.

May 8, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #53 of 73
Quote:

There could be several reasons for a perceived recessed or distant midrange. But again we must first consider the source material. Sammy Hagar, Scorpions and U2 are average recordings at their best. As is much of that and similiar genres and may not be viable to use for fair analysis. Now if that is what one listens to mainly then surely find a can that flatters that music.

When I listened to Def Leppard on the D7000's the midrange was recessed but the recording was made by people who figured we'd all be drunk when listening anyway. I don't have a lot of this type of music but when I listened to A Perfect Circle's "Thirteenth Step" which I feel is recorded well enough, To say I was rockin' out would be an understatement. This is why I guess rock fans buy cans like the D7000. But well recorded rock is not the norm, especially nowadays.

May 8, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #54 of 73
From what I heard in the several weeks I had the D7000: lack of body in the midrange. It is pretty thin/light. Voices/instruments are higher in tone than they should be.

The treble is strong. Obviously quite a bit brighter than it should be.

The bass and impact the headphone has are both incredible, though. I would pay ~$300 for the D7000 if I were to decide to buy it again.

The D7000 is a good v-shaped-response headphone.

May 8, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #55 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by launche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I normally don't post much but comments eluding to one headphone destroying another of similar quality is just nonsense. Also, these comments regarding the D7000's bass as jet take off and even fat etc... is not my experience. I would suggest that one looks at their system chain before blaming the headphones. Even though these headphones may be easy to get good sound from, proper amplification and power delivery will go a long way to tightening bass response. One might be very surprised at the difference and the need to do all these modifications might very well not be needed.

For example: if you have a nice amp then try replacing your builder grade wall outlet with a nice after market option like a Hubbell unit which is not even expensive. You may notice a nice improvement in bass quality.
Electric Surplus Store > RECEPTACLE-DUPLEX-5262 BROWN

I use Oyaide units and they help give a wonderful bass presentation, amongst other things. The bass I hear is tight, textured and deep. I'm listening to Brain Bromberg's "Wood" and the sound is very pleasing indeed. Out of curiosity I went back and listened to the D7000's unamped and the quality diminished. I went and plug everything into stock wall outlets and the quality diminished. With stock outlets (even with a good amp) if your power is not good I can see where the negative bass comments come from. It was looser, sloppier and less articulate by comparison due to the drivers not getting a clean and potent signal. I suspect this is what many are hearing if they have very negative bass comments from the Denon D series. Give them a better signal path and they will likely respond accordingly, the problem by and large in not the headphones. Spend $5-100 bucks on a nicer power outlet, then cords as you see fit before you go modding headphones, swapping out components and speakers. It all starts with good clean power. I also surely hope people are not listening to poorly engineered recordings and state a headphone sounds bad when it's likely the recording to begin with.

I couldn't agree more. Quite frankly, it astonishes me how many people here will upgrade their components and pay no mind to the power cords that feed juice to their equipment. If more people invested in dedicated AC lines, good receptacles, conditioners, and power cords, they would find replacing their components a lot less necessary. A high end power cord will transform your source or amplifier into the music maker it was meant to be; without one, you will never hear what your gear is capable of - it's that simple. Generic cords, whatever they are doing wrong, poison your audio system.

And trust me, everyone of us is a skeptic on this issue until we actually take the plunge and do something about it. Today 2/5 of my system's worth exists in power cords.

May 8, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #56 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by ferraro25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I heard in the several weeks I had the D7000: lack of body in the midrange. It is pretty thin/light. Voices/instruments are higher in tone than they should be.

The treble is strong. Obviously quite a bit brighter than it should be.

The bass and impact the headphone has are both incredible, though. I would pay ~$300 for the D7000 if I were to decide to buy it again.

The D7000 is a good v-shaped-response headphone.

i actually find this very true. i am using my d7000 stock. the vocal does seem more distant than the background music, but i believe this has to do with the V-shape frequency. the thing i do notice that im surprised isnt said more about the denons is that exactly what you said about vocal and instruments, they are definitely higher in tone than what they should be. is this something that is characterized from not enough juice sent to the denons?

May 8, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D7000's offer rich, detailed highs and mids with a beautiful soundstage and exceptional clarity.

The remarkable thing about the Denons is they also sound great...truly great...with any source I've used...amped or not. Plus the 7000's into an iPod straight...and they'll blow your miind.

Fully agree!

No matter 192Kbps, 320Kbps or Lossless...all sounds wonderful to me from my D7000 setup...of course I would prefer Lossless format anytime.

May 8, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #58 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by j2kei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i actually find this very true. i am using my d7000 stock. the vocal does seem more distant than the background music, but i believe this has to do with the V-shape frequency. the thing i do notice that im surprised isnt said more about the denons is that exactly what you said about vocal and instruments, they are definitely higher in tone than what they should be. is this something that is characterized from not enough juice sent to the denons?

I too am struggling with 'glare' for want of a better word. I only have about 100 hours on them so I'm hoping maybe it will fade as they mature.

Set up is Lossless ipod through a SPOFC Millian Acoustic Custom Cable (Silver plating could emphasise glare?) into a GS Solo (PSU1). On some music I really feel I've hit the sweet spot and then the treble on the next track feels like my ears are going to bleed......

I'm considering the following:

1) Do nothing and keep them burning and hope the glare goes over time.
2) Try rolling the AD823 out of the Solo.
3) Making a different (just copper) interconnect into the Solo (Got some Mogami Neglex or Canare L-4E6S).

What do you think?

May 8, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #59 of 73
keep burning them in is what i would say. i burned them till around 250hr (left it running pink noise & silence for 2 weeks haha). the improvement was pretty good IMO, however there is still a bit of that "glare" but it is not as killer as before

Users who are viewing this thread

Back