Denon D7000's Midrange and Treble
May 5, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #31 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I think I would move straight to RS-1 as it seems to be a smoother-sounding Grado.

It's slightly smoother sounding than the SR225. I can tell you now that it's still bright by nature and whether or not you will like its highs depends really on your sensitivity and your source. Plus while the Denons are one of the most comfortable headphones out there, lots of people complain about the comfort of the Grados.

One thing you might want to know is that the gap between the D2000 and D7000 is far larger than the gap between the SR225 and RS1. The D7000 fixes the flaws of the D2000; the RS1 doesn't fix the flaws of the SR225. As a whole the RS1 is really just a small improvement from the SR225, just a bit more refinement, so you are not losing out with the SR225.

May 5, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #33 of 73
I normally don't post much but comments eluding to one headphone destroying another of similar quality is just nonsense. Also, these comments regarding the D7000's bass as jet take off and even fat etc... is not my experience. I would suggest that one looks at their system chain before blaming the headphones. Even though these headphones may be easy to get good sound from, proper amplification and power delivery will go a long way to tightening bass response. One might be very surprised at the difference and the need to do all these modifications might very well not be needed.

For example: if you have a nice amp then try replacing your builder grade wall outlet with a nice after market option like a Hubbell unit which is not even expensive. You may notice a nice improvement in bass quality.
Electric Surplus Store > RECEPTACLE-DUPLEX-5262 BROWN

I use Oyaide units and they help give a wonderful bass presentation, amongst other things. The bass I hear is tight, textured and deep. I'm listening to Brain Bromberg's "Wood" and the sound is very pleasing indeed. Out of curiosity I went back and listened to the D7000's unamped and the quality diminished. I went and plug everything into stock wall outlets and the quality diminished. With stock outlets (even with a good amp) if your power is not good I can see where the negative bass comments come from. It was looser, sloppier and less articulate by comparison due to the drivers not getting a clean and potent signal. I suspect this is what many are hearing if they have very negative bass comments from the Denon D series. Give them a better signal path and they will likely respond accordingly, the problem by and large in not the headphones. Spend $5-100 bucks on a nicer power outlet, then cords as you see fit before you go modding headphones, swapping out components and speakers. It all starts with good clean power. I also surely hope people are not listening to poorly engineered recordings and state a headphone sounds bad when it's likely the recording to begin with.

May 5, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #34 of 73
Hmm... very lively discussions here, me like it!

So for those folks with a D7000, what can you say about the shortcomings of the Denon or what aspects you would like to improve? Does it still present the tiny hint of sibilance present in D2000/D5000?

May 5, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

So for those folks with a D7000, what can you say about the shortcomings of the Denon or what aspects you would like to improve? Does it still present the tiny hint of sibilance present in D2000/D5000?

The soundstage of the D7000 is definitely not that good. I haven't heard the JVC HX1000 but there's someone who have claimed that the HX1000 is better solely on its superior soundstage, despite losing to the D7000 in everything else. But the RS1's soundstage is even more lacking, so it shouldn't be too much an issue for you if you are deciding between those 2.

May 5, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

was not sibilant at all, was very smooth throughout. I would prefer the mids be more forward and engaging, the mids are pretty good but to me it takes a backseat to the bass and treble and I like the mids forward like my ad2000
smily_headphones1.gif
. Of course that is personal preference. The soundstage is great for a closed phone, but not on the level of most open phones so that could be improved.

May 5, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #37 of 73
Thanks for those impressions, scytheavatar and kg21.

Hmm... I guess I just fear that the improvement from a modded, recabled and woodied D2000 to stock D7000 is not as large as I'd imagine. If that's the case then getting the RS-1i seems to make more sense as its presentation is different from the Denon and therefore can complement it well.

SR225 is often mentioned here. How about its bigger brother, SR325?

Also I just stumled upon this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by revenge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D7000 is improved in every aspect (resolution, depth, refinement, a better bass than anything I've heard before in a headphone) but is also darker in signature. What lacks in transparency, in air (being a closed design), is fully compensated by the realistic reproduction of textures. The voices, the instruments have a full body and all the natural harmonics most headphones miss. Overall I would call it a tube-like, analogic, refined sounding headphone with plenty of soundstage (but not the kind of soundstage GS1000 or K701 are capable of) while D2000 is a brighter, more vivid, forward sounding sibiling.
In my opinion the headphone amplifier is not that important with any of the Denon headphones as they are quite efficient but you have to have a great source to make them shine. At least the Benchmark or the Lavry kind of source if not better.

Anyone wants to comment on those? He seems to imply that the D2000 did some things better than the D7000.

May 5, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #38 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I completely disagree with that.

As do I , vehemently. And that is coming from a Grado lover who has owned just about every model of Grado headphone produced (minus the new "i" models). And I also have owned every model of the current Denon lineup as well.

But hey, what do I know? I can't even chew through a 3 foot rope.

May 5, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

Anyone wants to comment on those? He seems to imply that the D2000 did some things better than the D7000.

Uh, no. Without a doubt the D7000 is brighter than the D2000. And more forward sounding.

May 5, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #40 of 73
I absolutely love my 325i's, but I have never had the excitement of getting a new piece of equipment than I am right now with the 7000's. I am actually setting up time to listen this weekend.

I can solve the issues of everyone contemplating the two, find some one close that has them and listen. Go to a meet or just buy both.

May 5, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #41 of 73
I generally concur with most of the comments below re: the various phones discussed.

However... I would note... that how well the set up (source and amp) matches the respective phones (or any phones) is the most significant determinant of their sound quality (after each are fully burnt in, of course). This point is widely overlooked... even... poorly understood by most.

The Denons can sound terrible, or fantastic, depending on how well the set up matches their low impedance, high current requirements (e.g. they've never sounded better than with the X-CANv8, or worse than with a set up which doesn't match their low impedance, high current needs). Though, their mids are a bit less prominent than the Grados, or ATHs - their bass and highs are relatively more prominent than their mids.

The Grados are similar in their requirements - but, they gain a huge benefit from the tape mod to the bowl pads. With a matching set up the RS-1s, have a big soundstage with pinpoint location of the musicians and instruments, and a very accurate portrayal of each, and of course a superbly balanced sound, with no hint of sibilant highs.

The AD2000s, as well with the right set up and the pad mod, have a big sound, with lots of speed, clarity, extended bass and impact - without overly prominent upper mids.

Oh yes... and you must be careful not to "over-drive" them all - too high a POT setting will distort their sound, more or less, depending on how well the set up matches their requirements. The POT setting can have a subtle, yet, noticeable effect on their sound quality.

I have a very difficult time determining which one I prefer - they're all superb in almost every aspect... when... matched with a proper set up.

If you haven't matched each with the proper, matching set up, you haven't heard each set of phones true sound quality - and you're impressions of each are inaccurate. But, that is true of any set of phones available.

So... my suggestion would be to temper your observations about each with that qualification - "depending on the set up." And... you may want to experiment a bit more with alternative set ups to see if you can finally appreciate each set of phones true sound qualities, which some of you have never heard.

May 5, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Have not noticed any sibilance. Love them and see no need to change any aspect of them.

Well, maybe the woodwork on the phones??? Slightly darker wood tone would do.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Sure, his observations. I don't see anything negative in it he just states that the D2000 have a different sound approach.

I don't know if I agree or not, but I can honestly state that the D7000 are much better, overall, than the D2000, but that's to be expected given the price difference. The detail, the range, and the complete sound stage of the D7000 is just in another league. IMHO!

May 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #44 of 73
Gradofan's post got me thinking, perhaps I got my priorities mixed up. Do you guys think upgrading my source will yield a more significant improvement in the long run?

I'm using the Compass right now and I'm thinking my upgrade along the line of a NOS DAC such as the Paradisea 3+ or Havana to be paired with Audio-gd C2C.

May 5, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

Gradofan's post got me thinking, perhaps I got my priorities mixed up. Do you guys think upgrading my source will yield a more significant improvement in the long run?

I'm using the Compass right now and I'm thinking my upgrade along the line of a NOS DAC such as the Paradisea 3+ or Havana to be paired with Audio-gd C2C.

The compass drives the D7000 fine.
I've used both the compass and my sound card and the D7000 sound great, as I've mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back