Denon D7000s + Meier Corda 3Move
Mar 28, 2009 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HD_Dude

100+ Head-Fier
The Denon D7000's are the best headphones I've ever heard.

But so far the only amp I have is the Meier Corda 3Move.

I've found that the 3Move needs more power than the USB connection delivers to really drive the Denons.

When the 3Move is connected to the PC via USB, without any power supply, the Denons are still good...but not awe-inspiring. The bass is nowhere near as deep, nor does it have significant impact. The 'phones sound flatter, and less interesting.

Fact is, compared to using the 3Move with just USB power, the Denons sound better straight out of an iPod. And by the way, straight out of an iPod they sound really, really good.

But, when the 3Move is powered, using a 9V battery, and an iPod as a source, the D7000's really get amazing. The bass is incredibly deep and impactful, yet clean as can be.

I guess I need to get a power supply to make the amp work well with the 7000's...it seems to make sense.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a regulated power supply for the 3Move?

Thanks

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you buy a home amp instead? You should be able to find an used SS amp for under $350 which would drive the Denon's wonderfully.

That's a great idea. Thanks! I'll check the FS threads.

Meanwhile, Jan wrote back about the power supply...his attention to customers is amazing.

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 18
3Move can also be powered by Mains power?

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3Move can also be powered by Mains power?

Yes, by a 6-12v regulated power supply. It will sound better with the higher voltages, and when plugged in the battery wont charge but it wont run down either.

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon D7000's are the best headphones I've ever heard.

But so far the only amp I have is the Meier Corda 3Move.

I've found that the 3Move needs more power than the USB connection delivers to really drive the Denons.

When the 3Move is connected to the PC via USB, without any power supply, the Denons are still good...but not awe-inspiring. The bass is nowhere near as deep, nor does it have significant impact. The 'phones sound flatter, and less interesting.

Fact is, compared to using the 3Move with just USB power, the Denons sound better straight out of an iPod. And by the way, straight out of an iPod they sound really, really good.

But, when the 3Move is powered, using a 9V battery, and an iPod as a source, the D7000's really get amazing. The bass is incredibly deep and impactful, yet clean as can be.

I guess I need to get a power supply to make the amp work well with the 7000's...it seems to make sense.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a regulated power supply for the 3Move?

Thanks

I think the 3Move is a great amp, but to see the full potential it needs more than usb for power. I use either the 9V as a portable or a wall wart at 12V as my bedside rig fed by an iPod via line out. Sounds great with Ety ER-4S, Grado SR-60 or Beyer DT-880-250.

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 18
$20 USD? im about to pay $400 AUD on it :p

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can also get a linear regular 12v elpac that you can reterminate to a DC connection.. great sound on the 3move and cost me $20USD

and what is this device? where can you get it?

V.

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #11 of 18
How much is the 3Move normally? about $270 USD?

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 18
Thanks everyone...

I appreciate the ideas and advice...

I ended up also communicating with Jan about all this. He stressed that the power supply needs to be up to 12V, regulated, analog (no digital switching) and he said a 500mv or 1000mv would be fine, since the 3Move doesn't take much power.

Ended up with one from Radio Shack...and yes, it's regulated:

3-12VDC - 1000mA AC-to-DC Power Adapter, model number 273-029.

And you'll also need tip 'H'...

Works perfectly.

You can find these things all over the internet, but the tip size was daunting...Jan uses a really tiny power connector. So, the above combo will work.

With the power supply, the sound of the 3Move has really opened up, and it's much more powerful now, especially when used as a DAC.

The D7000's sound amazing with the 3Move now. I know that someday I'll get a bigger, more powerful amp...but no complaints right now, using this little guy.

Life is good!

Apr 5, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
USB is only +5v, so unless there is some really ingenious engineering going on in an amp running on that, it makes sense that performance would suffer.

You can step-up the voltage, but I'd imagine the real limitation is the 500mA maximum of USB ports.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 18
usb can power the internal amp as well right? not just for the dac operation.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vsapra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and what is this device? where can you get it?

V.

Commercial Power Supplies - ICC - Manufacturer of Elpac Brand Power Supplies, AC DC Power Supplies, Commercial Power Supply for OEMs

Its the 12V WRI model near the bottom. http://iccus.com/datasheets/wri.pdf

I just cut off the output cable and picked up a small DC connector from an electrical surplus store along with the elpac and terminated it as needed for the 3move.

Bulky but better signal then a simple wall plug from radio shack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back