Denon D7000 Review!
Mar 27, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #152 of 257

Quote:
I just bought d5000 but have to return them due to crackling static noise in right ear.

Wondering to buy the D7000. As mentioned the bass is better with d7000, but how much? Wouldn't just eqing the bass down with the D5000 make it sound as good?  However to conflict this somewhat their is this article regarding bass; http://www.headphone.com/rightbetweenyourears/?p=1280

Nah...EQ doesn't help much, it'll just lessen the amount of bass, not increase the control.

Mar 29, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #153 of 257
Nah...EQ doesn't help much, it'll just lessen the amount of bass, not increase the control.

Yeah, it's a completely different driver in the D7000, it isn't going to react the same way or become more responsive just from a little EQing.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #154 of 257
I have auctioned a stock D7000. They sound amazing, but for $1000, it's too much. If you want 95% of the D7000, get the D2000, do the markl mod and a recable with mogami. Saves you a ton of money and will be less annoyed if you get a scratch on the earcup. haha

Apr 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #156 of 257

Quote:
I have auctioned a stock D7000. They sound amazing, but for $1000, it's too much. If you want 95% of the D7000, get the D2000, do the markl mod and a recable with mogami. Saves you a ton of money and will be less annoyed if you get a scratch on the earcup. haha

At first glance, I started to say that 95% quote looks a little high, but then realized my D7000's didn't ship stock. I will agree price as listed is a bit high. But since you're aware the two models have different drivers, I'll say this - audiophiles aren't too focused on the first 95%-98%-99%. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #158 of 257

Quote:
At first glance, I started to say that 95% quote looks a little high, but then realized my D7000's didn't ship stock. I will agree price as listed is a bit high. But since you're aware the two models have different drivers, I'll say this - audiophiles aren't too focused on the first 95%-98%-99%. 
wink_face.gif

I mostly agree with that statement.

@Butter123, As to the D2k being 95% of the D7k... that I don't agree with. And all this Lawton talk. It's all Emperors New Clothes or worse, to me. The LA mods made the sound much worse to my ears. They took away the naturalness and lush tonality and made it nasal and tubey.

D2k = 70% of D7k
D2k w/ Lawton mod = 25% of D7k

Just my humble opine folks.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #159 of 257
Wow, never heard that bout the LA mods before, that's strange. I've really enjoyed them, not sure what to say.

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #160 of 257
The problem with the LA mods, is that most people have done them without doing side by side comparisons of a stock Denon to an LA modded Denon. Of course, people are going to hear magic when they get their modded Denons. They don't wanna admit to themselves that all that money spent was possibly detrimental to sound quality.

I don't believe ANYONE who mods their headphones unless they've had the stock form on hand at the same time to do some extensive A/B testing.

In the case of the D7000, it seems people want to mod them to make them sound like other flagships. What is the point of owning a Denon if you want them to sound like everything else? The reason I love the D7000 IS because of how they sound stock. I wouldn't want ANYTHING added or taken away. For that, I'd get another headphone.

Again, unless someone has both a modded headphone and stock version on hand at the same time, I wouldn't trust their assessments.

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #161 of 257
Well, I did have two pairs of D2000s, one modded, one not, and the modded ones do have tighter bass and more forward mids. It isn't night and day, but it is a noticeable improvement.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #162 of 257
I can believe that, however, tighter may as well mean, that the Denon bass is subdued. If I wanted subdued bass, I'd have bought something else.

Referring to the D7K. I have no clue how the D2K's bass is like in comparison.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #164 of 257
I can believe that, however, tighter may as well mean, that the Denon bass is subdued. If I wanted subdued bass, I'd have bought something else.
Referring to the D7K. I have no clue how the D2K's bass is like in comparison.

Well, it went from boom boom boom to thump thump thump, and to me that's quite an improvement. Now, my D7000s weren't as boomy but it was still a nice change, was nice to get fuller mids out of them.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #165 of 257
Nice review, I have a feeling it will be a long time before I get anything like these e.e

Although I did appreciate your mentioning the Pro 750, I looked into it, it may be in my near future. Still, good to hear the D7k delivers proper justice to a cello!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back