Denon d600 vs. Akg k550
Aug 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Chawanwit

100+ Head-Fier
I have narrowed down my options into two headphones the d600 and the k550. Has anyone who have ever tried both headphones please recommend me if the d600 is worth the higher price tag?

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
I have narrowed down my options into two headphones the d600 and the k550. Has anyone who have ever tried both headphones please recommend me if the d600 is worth the higher price tag?

Heya,

What are you looking for, sound signature wise? What kind of frequencies response are you looking for? Flat? Neutral? Or something that drops sub-bass bomb treats? What kind of music do you mostly listen to?

Very best,

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 10
I am looking for something that sounds fun and musical. I listen to a wide genre of music such as pop, jazz, and songs with female vocals. As for the frequency response, I have no idea about it and I think that I will prefer something that is entertaining.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 10
For more information:

I have tried the akg k550 at a headphone store in Bangkok and found it to be a slightly lArge headphone that doesn't fit very well on my heAd. As for the sound, i feel that the instrument separation is very clear and the bass is pretty tight and punchy, however I felt that the bass could have been just a little heavier.

The denon ahd600 only sells at the denon distributor store and can not be tested. If the denon will have a better fit and a little more bass then I would be happy to buy it. However if the overall sound quality of the d600 doesn't equal or surpass the k550, then I might buy the k550 since it is cheaper.

Please help me decide on these two headphones for anyone who have tried both headphones,
Thanks!

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 10
Anyone who have listen to any of the single headphone I mention above, please feel free to give me comments or advises. I cannot test the denon ahd600 here in Bangkok and am having a very hard time deciding on the k550 or the d600 because I have very little idea on how they compare.

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
I am looking for something that sounds fun and musical. I listen to a wide genre of music such as pop, jazz, and songs with female vocals. As for the frequency response, I have no idea about it and I think that I will prefer something that is entertaining.

I haven't heard the D600, (truth be told I've never been a Denon guy) but I do hold the K550 in high regard.  "Fun and musical," however, it is not.  It's a detail-centric, analytical headphone.

Do you require isolation?  What complementary components are you using?

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 10
I haven't heard the D600, (truth be told I've never been a Denon guy) but I do hold the K550 in high regard.  "Fun and musical," however, it is not.  It's a detail-centric, analytical headphone.

Do you require isolation?  What complementary components are you using?

Thanks for your reply
I do not require isolation and will be using it mosltly at home. There is two way I will be using it. First through a marantz integrated amplifier and generic brand cd player. Second by a iPod touch first generation and even that will be use at home to put me alseep before i go to bed.

Recommendation of other headphones that are more fun and musical will great and I a, willing to spend money on a headphone amp.

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 10
I own D600 and they have deep tight punchy well controlled bass. I also heard K550 at the recent NYC meet driven by Burson160D costing at least $900 USED and they were lacking deep sub-bass . So you better get D600 and try them without amp and id not satisfird get E17 with LOD cable

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
they were lacking deep sub-bass .

Same experience here. The mid-bass was nice, but the really low frequencies were missing. If it were me, I'd rather go for the K550 since it's currently half the price of the D600. The K550 is a fantastic sounding, neutral can that's pretty easy to drive and looks nice.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I own D600 and they have deep tight punchy well controlled bass. I also heard K550 at the recent NYC meet driven by Burson160D costing at least $900 USED and they were lacking deep sub-bass . So you better get D600 and try them without amp and id not satisfird get E17 with LOD cable

I tried both D600 & K550 at Best Buy's Magnolia room. No amp, of course. I was there only for a few minutes. I agree with Olegausany.

I bought the D600.

Now wait a minute. Let me add somethin'. I have, for awhile, put the K550 on my "gotta have soon" list. I'm one of those guys who hangs out at Best Buy, and try out their cans. I always wanted the K550. But the Denon had this deeper, luscious sound that I like.... I could not resist. (I really don't need another headphone.....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back